Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two pickups, four coils, two series/single/parallel switches and life sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK A few things while messing about after the magnetometer had me confused.

Firstly, to refresh the polarity of magnets and the North-seeking pole:

Why the North pole is actually a South seeking pole| Explore | physics.org

Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetism.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	841330

The relay coil is fed with 12V A.C. as an experiment - I got these results from that:

Name:	Humbucker.jpg
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	841331

Now I could've done D.C. "Clunk" tests on the individual coild but the camera battery died after this video which shows the effect of a Schottky 1N5819 in series with the Green +Ve lead of the pickup and a 1uF across the meter and Black. I know the pickup is in phase and dropping the ruler on it shows a much easier to read positive value. Any rectifier probably would've done.

https://youtu.be/sWCONaPP6nw

Comment

OK A few things while messing about after the magnetometer had me confused.

Firstly, to refresh the polarity of magnets and the North-seeking pole:

Why the North pole is actually a South seeking pole| Explore | physics.org

Name:	Magnetism.jpg
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	841330

The relay coil is fed with 12V A.C. as an experiment - I got these results from that:

Name:	Humbucker.jpg
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	841331

Now I could've done D.C. "Clunk" tests on the individual coild but the camera battery died after this video which shows the effect of a Schottky 1N5819 in series with the Green +Ve lead of the pickup and a 1uF across the meter and Black. I know the pickup is in phase and dropping the ruler on it shows a much easier to read positive value. Any rectifier probably would've done.

https://youtu.be/sWCONaPP6nw

Comment

Cool.
        Nice pics, and vid.
        The main test I was referring to earlier is a DC MV test, per coil.
        That test shows current or voltage flow direction and compatibility of the two coils.
        Like I mentioned earlier with 4w humbuckers?
        You can wire one inside out, and one outside in?
        When played together they are still the same polarity, and exhibit hum canceling when split.
        Please keep up the testing and pictures, I enjoy it very much!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Yes, I know exactly what tests you were referring to, that's a 4 wire humbucker and the diode/capacitor let's you use the digital multimeter to test the coil polarity individually but as I said, the camera ran out of battery.

Give the diode/cap a go the voltages are large and easy to measure then.

FWIW I prefer two humbuckers to be out of phase with each other like my mate Johnny or Peter Green - much nicer.

https://youtu.be/2EiWyD2Q7Yk

Comment

Ok, I will play with it later.
            I never cared for the thin out of phasedness! lol
            Not my thing, but I am big into hum canceling.
            I like quiet guitars.
            Later
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I just used the DMM, DC MV test on the new set of bass Soapbar Sidewinders, that I made.
              I always get confused on how to wire the sidewinder coils, so this test saved me a lot of confusion.
              On a sidewinder you have both coils facing each other head to head, North/Blade/North.
              I couldn't get any other setting beside DC MV to do anything on my cheapie Harbor Freight meter.
              Thanks again SonnyW for sharing this valuable test!

T
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X