Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to measure the DC resistance "on the way" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to measure the DC resistance "on the way" ?

This might be a boring question for those who know but I could not find out on my own.
    The wire is coated, so is there anything I should know to wind a pickup with a given DC resistance ?

Thanks for your answers,
    JB

Unfortunately not in "real time" since youŽll have to go through that insulation .
    Usual way is to overwind a little, measure, and then unwind until satisfied .

In any case, number of turns is more important than actual DC resistance , and *those* can be counted with precision.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by jnohlic View Post
      is there anything I should know to wind a pickup with a given DC resistance ?
      Yes, that you're doing it wrong. You can wind two 7.5K p'ups that one one is muddy and uninspiring while the other is clear and rings like a bell. It's all about how you lay the wire on the bobbin.

Also, different wire give different ohm readings for the same amount of turns. Fx, 5,000 turns of AWG#42 gives about 3.74K while 5,000 turns of AWG#43 gives roughly 5K.

HTH,
      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
      Milano, Italy

Comment

Solder the inside eyelet. Then just scrape some insulation off and measure, it won't short to anything if you need more turns.

Comment

Like Mozz said!
          I wound the DCR way for over 3 years.
          It's not Ideal, but doable.
          Depending on what bobbin type your winding depends on how you do it.
          On a PAF bobbin you have the 28 gauge tail out the bottom.
          You wind until your close then you check your ohm meter from the tail to the scraped, or sanded wire.
          On a fender type bobbin, solder the start eyelet, and check from the eyelet to the scraped or sanded wire.
          A turns counter is best!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Thanks guys, really

I wanted to make sure I had not missed anything.
            It sound complicated to me though but I might do it one day if I need it.
            J

Comment

Working...
            X