Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping the magnets in tape [prior to winding] and the effects on the sound of the pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapping the magnets in tape [prior to winding] and the effects on the sound of the pickup

I would be increasing the size of the overall coil but not adding any wire. Experience?

Kapton tape. Most any tape thickness is irrelevant to overall coil thickness. Your tension would play a much bigger part.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
      Kapton tape. Most any tape thickness is irrelevant to overall coil thickness. Your tension would play a much bigger part.
      A tighter wind allows for more wire on the coil. I'm curious about increasing the thickness of the coil without using wire. [bigger coil with the same resistance ]

Comment

I'd say the resistance/wind would go up, for whatever effect that has on tone.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

With a wider coil, you need more wire for the same number of turns, so resistance will increase. The somewhat higher rsistance in insignificant for tone.
          Frequency response is mainly determined by inductance and PU aperture. Both should essentially stay the same.
          So I don't expect much difference.

But if you don't count turns and wire for same resistance as before, you will get less turns. Less turns means less inductance and a somewhat brighter sound.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-06-2021, 01:47 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
            With a wider coil, you need more wire for the same number of turns, so resistance will increase. The somewhat higher rsistance in insignificant for tone.
            Frequency response is mainly determined by inductance and PU aperture. Both should essentially stay the same.
            So I don't expect much difference.

But if you don't count turns and wire for same resistance as before, you will get less turns. Less turns means less inductance and a somewhat brighter sound.
            Thanx...for reminding me of the length of wire and turn counts .

Comment

Guess measured and audible difference will be MINUSCULE
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Guess measured and audible difference will be MINUSCULE
                Even if it's a thick layer of tape [ 1/16 " or thicker] ? The idea is to make a thicker coil without increasing resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian W. View Post

Even if it's a thick layer of tape [ 1/16 " or thicker] ? The idea is to make a thicker coil without increasing resistance.
                  While I don't understand what you want to achieve with the wider coil and why you worry about somewhat increased resistance, maybe this helps:

PU resistance only depends on wire length and wire gauge. So a heavier wire would give you a fatter coil without tape and the chance of unaltered resistance.

BTW, too much distance between poles and coil might lower your output.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The only reason I tape rod magnet coils?
                    To keep the magnet wire from shorting out to the magnets.
                    I use one layer of paper, masking, floral, or etc.
                    Also larger diameter magnets make a fatter coil.
                    Like .195, instead or .187.
                    Also the wider magnets, gives more surface for the string to sit over.
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

While I don't understand what you want to achieve with the wider coil and why you worry about somewhat increased resistance, maybe this helps:

PU resistance only depends on wire length and wire gauge. So a heavier wire would give you a fatter coil without tape and the chance of unaltered resistance.

BTW, too much distance between poles and coil might lower your output.
                      I was curious about how the distance of the coil from the magnets would affect sound..

" "BTW, too much distance between poles and coil might lower your output. " " ---- That's what interests me !

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        The only reason I tape rod magnet coils?
                        To keep the magnet wire from shorting out to the magnets.
                        I use one layer of paper, masking, floral, or etc.
                        Also larger diameter magnets make a fatter coil.
                        Like .195, instead or .187.
                        Also the wider magnets, gives more surface for the string to sit over.
                        T
                        I've taped magnets for that purpose, too. I started thinking about adding more tape to increase the overall width of the coil [without adding wire]. I've heard of pickups being made with that method and wondered what the impact on the sound would be.

Comment

Working...
                        X