Humbucker internal wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker internal wiring question

I’m a noob when it comes to pickup rewinds, so everything is a learning experience, but I’m enjoying it very much. After finding out I had been rewinding my own pickups, and had made a few of my own design, a buddy asked me to rewind a bunch of old pickups he had lying around. OK. Long story short. A couple are humbuckers, and I have confused myself with respect to wind direction and internal wiring.

The pickup is a Gibson Lead Pro. I found the wind specs online, and have wound one coil clockwise, and the other counter-clockwise, the magnetic polarity is north up on one coil, south up on the other, so that takes care of reverse wind and reverse polarity.

Where I’m doubting myself is wiring the two coils together. As it is, I have wired the start of coil 1 as hot, the end of coil 1 is joined to the start of coil 2, and the end of coil 2 is ground (I will likely need to rewire those coils so the start of coil 1 is ground, and the end of coil 2 is hot). It was suggested that I should wire the coil ends together, and the coil starts would be hot and ground. I was under the impression that one should either wire the second coil in reverse or wind it in reverse, but not both. Either way reverses the “direction of travel” in relation to the other coil. Any pointers?
    Last edited by Moff40; 03-28-2023, 09:36 PM.

There are a variety of ways to wind and wire humbuckers.
    Typically both coils are wound the same direction.
    One coil start wire to output.
    The other coil start to ground, with the finish leads wired together.
    Like this diagram.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	humbckr7.gif
Views:	190
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	979769
    With your coils reverse wound.
    Tie the finish of one coil to the start of the other.
    T
    Attached Files
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you. I started chasing my tail on this. I had seen that graphic already, but the clarification is helpful. I guess winding the second coil in reverse isn’t the “standard” way of doing things, which is why the standard wiring (joing the coil ends) confused me.

Comment

Working...
      X