Using a Maganetools 24-C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Maganetools 24-C

I happen to have had an opportunity to acquire a Magnetools 24-C magnetizer and I followed through on getting it. I thought I'd find a bunch of YouTube videos on how to use it, but that was not the case. I have been using neodymium rare earth magnets for changing, previously.

Does anyone know of a vid showing someone using the 24-C? I sort of assume I place a single coil (Strat, Tele type) between the N and S side of the device. I am not sure if cleats or whatever the chunky adjustable metal magnetizers are called are suppose to be touching the pickup poles, or if there should be some air space between them. I also have a ceramic magnet from a '60s Teisco that seem in need of recharging. I am not sure if I can just hold it between the N & S magnetizer cleats, or if I have to make something to hold it there. I am not sure this device will even charge an old ceramic magnet like that and having had some impressive blood blisters from charging magnets in my old rig, I am not eager to experiment.

Any tips or tricks or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

The adjustable large steel pieces are called poles and you put your magnet in between them- (the flat ends) and adjust them so they touch each end of the magnet- north and south. Click the power switch on for one second or less. Ive never tried charging ceramics- I doubt that charger has enough power. For horseshoe magnets you use the other side of the poles with the bevel on the bottom of each end- adjust them to leave a gap so your horseshoe sits on top of the poles.

Comment

I use one of these also. I usually have them gapped so the single strat/tele coil has a little play. I use various small blocks of wood underneath. Pictures will help. After i get home from work i will do a small write up and post some pictures.

Comment

Magnet literature calls the adjustable pole pieces "pole shoes".

Ceramic magnets do not age or self-demagnetize.
        Neither do alnico magnets but they easily demagnetize when a strong (e.g. Neo) magnet gets close with repelling pole.
        Not so with ceramic magnets.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

First is a strat pickup showing how much gap i leave. I usually don't ever change the gap setting. This is un-magnetized, once you hit the button for 1 or 2 seconds, the pickup will stick to either side. Second picture is a piece of wood underneath, I'm sure you could just let it sit in the bottom of the channel and it would be the same. Third is a Tele neck pickup already magnetized, sticks to 1 side, there is more of a gap since the pickup isn't as tall. Fourth is a bar magnet A5 and you can see the even larger gap. I've measured these with my F&W Bell gauss meter and there is no difference in strength if i make the gap smaller. I haven't tried making the gap too large to see if i could purposely not give it a full charge. I have a few old reel to reel tape head/bulk demagnetizers if i want to play doing that. Last picture is the warning label. Whether you keep it energized 1 second or 10 seconds makes no difference in the strength. There is no wattage rating but it is very heavy and has a nice heavy cord, sort of dims the lights once you hit the switch. Have no doubt it will charge ceramics but they get thrown in a drawer, maybe one day i will make some nasty pickups.

Specs.
          Connects to standard 120 VAC (50/60 Cycles, 14 Amps) outlet. Capacity: 24,500 Amp / turns Size: 10.125” L x 5.125” W x 7.563” H Weight: 40 lbs. Typically used to magnetize Alnico 5 up to 2” x 3” and will also work with Ceramic 5 up to 2” x 2.5”.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	981340 Click image for larger version

Name:	m2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	981337 Click image for larger version

Name:	m3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	1.76 MB