Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strain relief question

Hi everybody,

Hobbyist pickup maker here, I make pickups just for me and my guitars.

I'm wondering, is there an easy method anyone could share to provide strain relief when attaching multi-strand pickup lead wire to a humbucker baseplate?

I suspect just soldering the ground lead from the shield to the baseplate isn't really enough. But maybe it is?

Up to this point I've only ever used external braided-shield two-conductor wire for this, and I solder that directly to the base plate.

If there's a sticky or a reference somewhere that I've missed please let me know.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I can get!

If you wire the bobbins on the end near the base plate hole no strain relief.
    If you wire the bobbins on the other end, then the hookup cable runs the length of the pickup, with bobbin on top of the wire.
    That provides the strain relief of the entire cable.
    Like the picture below.
    GL,
    T

Click image for larger version

Name:	GM385-DIY1-Pickup-Mods-02@1400x1050-648x486.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	983049
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you!

I wire on the other end, like in the photo you've provided. I hadn't considered the effect of the bobbin pressing down on the lead.

I have the same question for a P90 base plate - I normally also solder those to the plate too. But I've seen photos of little metal clips that encircle the lead and are fastened with one of the bobbin mounting screws, so I'm looking around for those. I don't know exactly what they're called unfortunately.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      If you wire the bobbins on the end near the base plate hole no strain relief.
      If you wire the bobbins on the other end, then the hookup cable runs the length of the pickup, with bobbin on top of the wire.
      That provides the strain relief of the entire cable.
      Like the picture below.
      GL,
      T

Click image for larger version

Name:	GM385-DIY1-Pickup-Mods-02@1400x1050-648x486.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	983049

Comment

They're called wire clamps I've found, just FYI.

Originally posted by Wallaby View Post

...But I've seen photos of little metal clips that encircle the lead and are fastened with one of the bobbin mounting screws, so I'm looking around for those. I don't know exactly what they're called unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
        X