Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the normal one and was about to buy the ER version then I found out he stop making them. Its really unfortunate. Any other similar gauss meters out there?

Comment

Does ER means "extended range"? The meter I designed can measure values up to 1690 Gs. I was wrong thinking that it can be easily modified by replacing the Hall sensor. The only sensor that I found out for the extended range is AD22151, which is in a different package than I used. So I would need to redesign the PC board. Have you got the schematic of your meter? I'm curious how the gain if the Hall sensor was switched. With MOSFET transistors or in some other way?

PS1: the value 1690 Gs seems to cover most of the pickup types I have seen (the highest value I measured was 1100 Gs). What type of pickups require extended range? Or you want to measure neodymium magnets?

PS2: is neodymium N52 used for guitar pickups?

Mark

Comment

Hey Mark,

yea ER means extended range. http://gravitastech.weebly.com/spin-doctor-er.html

I was looking to get the ER version because I mixed up a bunch on neodymium magnets and I need to know their gauss value.

Comment

Thanks for the info. So the ER version had a fixed range 25000 Gs. It's suitable for neodymium magnets but for pickups you loose accuracy. This can be done but requires a redesign of the PC board.

Comment

If you just need to select/compare strong neos, you can do this with the lower range meter at a fixed distance (using a spacer) from the pole face. The flux density (B) drops rapidly with distance.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
              Thanks for the info. So the ER version had a fixed range 25000 Gs. It's suitable for neodymium magnets but for pickups you loose accuracy. This can be done but requires a redesign of the PC board.
              The v. 1.1 looks pretty good. I only need to measure alnico bars, so no need for extended range for me. Let me know when you're open for business.

Yours very truly,

Pepe
              Milano, Italy
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                The v. 1.1 looks pretty good. I only need to measure alnico bars, so no need for extended range for me. Let me know when you're open for business.
                Pepe
                Milano, Italy
                Ciao Pepe,

It's a pity that we couldn't meet in Milan.
                Have you seen this photo?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	GM_08.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	853092
                It was made in Milan - pickups with alnico magnets. I was wondering whether these were your pickups.

Mark

Comment

Ciao Pepe,

It's a pity that we couldn't meet in Milan.
                  Have you seen this photo?
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]52548[/ATTACH]
                  It was made in Milan - pickups with alnico magnets. I was wondering whether these were your pickups.

Mark
                  I do not wind p'ups for a living, Markus.

Having said that, I've been known for modding, repairing and re-winding a fair amount here and there, then and now...
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

Finally I have 7 meters ready. One of them has black enclosure. I have also 2 prototypes but I need to update their software - there are minor differences between the prototypes and the final version. I think I need two weeks to do it and they will be also available (and they will be cheaper). The main difference between the prototype and the final version is the tip of the meter (this can be corrected with a dremel tool) and lack of the charging status LED. The rest will work in exactly the same way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GM_10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	853325

Comment

Finally I have 7 meters ready. One of them has black enclosure. I have also 2 prototypes but I need to update their software - there are minor differences between the prototypes and the final version. I think I need two weeks to do it and they will be also available (and they will be cheaper). The main difference between the prototype and the final version is the tip of the meter (this can be corrected with a dremel tool) and lack of the charging status LED. The rest will work in exactly the same way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52884[/ATTACH]
                      Great job! They look awesome. Do you think you could make a little You Tube video of one in action, showing the various functions? That would be really helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Rog_B View Post
                        Great job! They look awesome. Do you think you could make a little You Tube video of one in action, showing the various functions? That would be really helpful!
                        I think that this is possible. But since I have a lot of amp repairs now, this may take a week or so.

Mark

Comment

This is great news. I'd like to join the queue for one of them if they're not all already spoken for.
                          This space is intentionally left blank.

Comment

I've got few questions about features of the meter. Here they are:

- Range +/- 1670 Gs. Over (and below) this value the meter displays "OVER" text
                            - The polarity of the magnetic field is displayed as letter "N" or "S"
                            - 0.96" "OLED display (good visibility in dark rooms)
                            - Li-Po 320 mAh rechargeable battery - can be recharged with typical 5V phone power supply (with micro USB plug)
                            - auto power off - after 1 minute of not in use
                            - auto zero set at startup
                            - tactile push buttons: POWER, MODE, START/STOP
                            - 3 modes: CURRENT (the actual value of the magnetic field), AVERAGE (the average value of the magnetic field - can be stopped/restarted with START/STOP button) and PEAK (the maximum value - can be reset with the START/STOP button)
                            - 200 samples per second in all modes
                            - ABS enclosure (grey or black)
                            - graphical representation of the battery displayed on the screen
                            - when USB charger is connected, USB symbol displayed on the screen
                            - charging status LED
                            - low power consumption (10mA in active mode, 70uA in sleep mode)

Since the meter is never switched off (it only enters sleep mode) there is also a RESET button but I never had to use it.

Mark
                            Last edited by MarkusBass; 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I've got few questions about features of the meter. Here they are:

- Range +/- 1670 Gs. Over (and below) this value the meter displays "OVER" text
                              - The polarity of the magnetic field is displayed as letter "N" or "S"
                              - 0.96" "OLED display (good visibility in dark rooms)
                              - Li-Po 320 mAh rechargeable battery - can be recharged with typical 5V phone power supply (with micro USB plug)
                              - auto power off - after 1 minute of not in use
                              - auto zero set at startup
                              - tactile push buttons: POWER, MODE, START/STOP
                              - 3 modes: CURRENT (the actual value of the magnetic field), AVERAGE (the average value of the magnetic field - can be stopped/restarted with START/STOP button) and PEAK (the maximum value - can be reset with the START/STOP button)
                              - 200 samples per second in all modes
                              - ABS enclosure (grey or black)
                              - graphical representation of the battery displayed on the screen
                              - when USB charger is connected, USB symbol displayed on the screen
                              - charging status LED
                              - low power consumption (10mA in active mode, 70uA in sleep mode)

Since the meter is never switched off (it only enters sleep mode) there is also a RESET button but I never had to use it.

Mark
                              Hi Mark,

I can’t PM yet as I’ve not posted since joining a while back (will have to fix that), but I’d like to put my name down for one of these if possible. Preferably in black. :-)

Best regards,
                              Tim
                              Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                                I can’t PM yet as I’ve not posted since joining a while back
                                I think that you need at least 4 posts in order to be able to PM other users. In the meantime you can update your profile and add your location. It is very important whether it's UK or the US.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X