Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the update ,but I fear that won,t help you as it has to boot to install it.........whats it doing ,anything ?
    Usually PSU problems is the first point to check
    Last edited by S2udio; 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by saranden View Post
      When I put an input into say....channel 1, it is showing an input on the peak LED but not on the fader LEDS
      Check the ribbons as its not getting out of the AD section or you have lost the AD supply on the Ana Input section

Comment

• Hi Guys, I've read all the way through this this thread and found out what's needed to repair at least one of the two I have. Is there anyone in the uk who can do the work on these as I just don't have the ability to do this sort of thing, an absolute novice at anything electronic?

Your assistance really would be so much appreciated.
        Regards to all
        Geejay

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
          I have the update ,but I fear that won,t help you as it has to boot to install it.........whats it doing ,anything ?
          Usually PSU problems is the first point to check
          Thanks for the reply!
          When powered up, the faders reset and the LCD wakes up and displays "Behringer DDX3216" and stays there. I can hold GROUP when powering on and it will successfully go into update mode. I've read that DDXupdate V1.11 is used after powering up while pressing GROUP.

Comment

• ORIGINAL SOFTWARE VER 1.11.zip

Try this

Comment

• PSU fault

Originally posted by saranden View Post
              Yes.
              If I put an audio signal into the line in, it shows it is getting it there at the signal clip :LED and gain control, all channels, but not getting any further. Is there a Left/Right IC which amplifies the signal?
              On removing the PSU after finding wrong voltage output on 48v and -17v anain, I discovered a burnt track.
              I bridged the damage, and the mixer is up and working again.

Comment

• It seems I can't use just the original software version by itself. I'm guessing that the emergency tool (DDXupdate V1.11) is different.

Comment

• I really don't know what you mean by "emergency tool " as no such thing exists, There is probably corruption of one of the Setting save Eproms or the OS and this will cause boot hang.
                  First Try reseating the EPROMS , and all the cpu ribbons etc and check for correct voltages at the CPU board.
                  I can reflash the OS eprom etc ,if it is corrupt or send you a file, if you have a programmer !

Comment

• Try this emergency updating:
                    Install the update programm to your computer
                    Connect the DDX to the RS232 port
                    Start the software
                    Choose the com port the DDX is connected to
                    Press down the GROUP button and switch on the mixer
                    Update will start and last about 10 minutes. Progress is displayed.

Comment

• Thats fine if the CPU is is working and ready to recieve data.....obviously on a working mixer ?

Comment

• No. After update failed with no sart.

Comment

• Hi Guys! I am really running out of luck with my Behringer DDX3216 LCD. Does anybody have suggestions for a replacement unit? I purchased a similar type LCD from Crystal Fontz America but it has 8 data I/O's and the AMD sc300-33kc has 4. Unfortunately I cant make it work and no reply from Behringer because they already stopped production of these units. Any ideas? Very much appreciated for any suggestions. Thanks!

Comment

• I've just picked up a DDX3216 off Ebay.
                            I used them a few years ago and thought they were pretty good. When I checked this one thro' before buying it, it seemed fine. When I got it home and checked a bit further with a dynamic mic after about half an hour, the headphones I was listening on went 'phasey' as if you had a digital signal routed twice to the output. I re-booted and tried a condensor with phantom power. The mixer crackled even with the volume down when selecting the phantom and still with the phased sound. It wouldn't go away even with a re-boot. I left it for the rest of the day. The next day I fitted a couple of ADAT cards to it, which worked fine again for about half an hour when the sound fizzled out and became very distorted. Knowing the issues these units have with power supplies, I thought it was time to open her up and see what gives. After reading several reports of how to dismantle it, I reached the power supply and removed it. There were no obvious signs of bulging caps, although the circuit board does look a little red under some of the caps. I thought I'd re-connect it to see if the problem was simply a dry joint on a ribbon connector. When I re-connected the mixer, I had the half lights illuminated episode documented elsewhere, with a '+1 8' illuminated in the red LED scene display. Surely this is some kind of fault report?
                            I have since removed the supply and also tested it back in situ. I see the following:

Power to ANALOG CONNECTORS:
                            47.9V
                            -16.8V
                            17.0V
                            0V
                            4.9V
                            3.3V

Power to IOCONN 01
                            5.1V
                            0V
                            0V
                            3.3V

Power to DSP01
                            3.3V
                            0V
                            0V
                            5.1V

Power to Contr 1.1
                            -8V
                            +8V
                            0V
                            -8V
                            +8V
                            0V
                            5.1V

Power to Fader Board
                            5.1V
                            0V
                            0V
                            5.1V
                            5.1V

Power to Display Board
                            5.1V
                            0V
                            0V
                            5.1V

Power to CPU 01
                            -12.2V
                            11.9V
                            3.3V
                            5.1V

I didn't register anything on Q3 but did on Q2...I think about 2.4V. Is that significant?

I don't understand why the unit worked (albeit with a fault) before I started dismantling it and now it won't power up other than half lights and buttons illuminated (other than the obvious....I've broken it by dismantling it).

Do the readings above warrant a full re-cap and replacement of Q3 as a starting point?

Thanks
                            Al

Comment

• You can get an ESR meter to check the electrolytic caps in the PS, but I'd just change them out to better capacitors. Find some in the 105 temp range.

I used a combination of Panasonic and Nichicon brands. Mostly were Panasonic. Some were 125 deg range, but those are harder to find now. 105 should be plenty. 85 is too low since these units get pretty hot inside and there is just a tiny fan on the side to dissipate the internal heat. Worse is when people rack mount these and block that air flow.

Comment

• Hi
                                Just found this site!
                                I have four mixers and am looking to service them and repair them.
                                I'll be trawling these pages for a few days.
                                Many thanks
                                Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X