Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
    No need to change those, they will probably outlive you !

About a volt offset ....is this measured disconected from the fader board, or connected,.
    Seeing its not actually booting up, dont bother with the fader 8v at the moment, it will give an error message if the board is disconnected. messages first.
    In fact it will boot with errors if only the display and CPU connected and powered and up, do you get that far.

Edit..... Quote from a another disjointed thread ......."With all ribbons disconnected from the CPU board (display connected) the display should then Display DDX3216 , followed by bars and then blank."
    Sorry, I misunderstood this before reading it twice. Tried powering up with only display and power to CPU...Exact same symptoms.

Comment

• Changed the 32Mhz xtal ?
      If that has no effect looks like the OS rom IC19 is possibly corrupt or worst case CPU death.
      Try reflowing the CPU chip, have found faults with the soldering on these boards before

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
        Changed the 32Mhz xtal ?
        If that has no effect looks like the OS rom IC19 is possibly corrupt or worst case CPU death.
        Try reflowing the CPU chip, have found faults with the soldering on these boards before
        Is CPU death that likely since the PSU didn't have a catastrophic failure? There was no ripple anywhere, only an imbalance of the 8V by a volt.

Replaced the 32mhz with a new one from Mouser (after PSU repair/test). Was very careful bending leads and heating. I used my finger as a heat sink/sensor for the case.

What method are you suggesting for reflow? I don't own a reflow oven. I have a good (Fluke) IR thermometer, a good heat gun and a kitchen gas oven.
        Are there some basic troubleshooting procedures that I can go by?
        I've been staying away from digital/SMD repairs but it looks like it's time for me to learn the "new" stuff. Most of my gear is rigged for through hole analog audio. I am considering buying a new (or used) o'scope. The one I'm using is an OLD Leader 50mhz. I'm open to any advice on preferred gear. I'm not stuck on names like Fluke or Weller. There's lots of good gear out there.
        One of my strong points is detecting bad solder joints. I have decades of experience soldering/desoldering through hole stuff. Have had some success with SMD repairs. Have had almost as many failures there too. Some PCB's appear too delicate to do ANY heating on.
        I have a fair understanding of digital basics but I've been pretty much focused on analog audio. Ready to learn.
        I've been scanning Craigslist in hopes of finding a good mixer with a bad PSU that I can get for cheap to swap boards with. That would probably be the quickest route to troubleshooting/repair.
        I'm not finding anyone who has matched symptoms with problem/failures. I saw another thread with the same symptoms with the exception of the faders "crawling" to the top. Never found a direct solution.
        Are most people just throwing up their hands and trashing the units? I've never cared for Behringer "quality", and I've never purchased any of their gear. I HAVE had to work with/on it though. This mixer was given to me by the original owner. I have no investment besides parts and time into it.
        It would be nice to be able to get it running so I can SELL it and get it out of my sight ASAP!
        Thanks for being here!

Comment

• Originally posted by JUAN View Post
          I have a behringer ddx3216 i was using it fine, i just powered it off and came back to power it on and it froze, it just stays on the initial screen where it says "ddx3216" i tried pressing ch1-16 and setup and nothing, i tried turning it on and off several times and nothin, it just stays on the initial screen, what possibly could it be?
          Hi I have four of these desks all about 12 to 13 years old ( Behringer Haters don't like this fact)
          The problem you have could be the multi pins connectors. A forum member told me years ago to open the desk and try push all connectors together. including the small power connectors. This worked for me. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
            The market gets the cost/quality tradeoff it wants. Behringer sell a lot of stuff, that says to me that they got the tradeoff right. They recently bought Midas and Klark Teknik, and are bringing out some amazing new digital mixers.

Notice how the "cheap Chinese trash monger" was making enough money to buy out two high-end companies.
            As I have said all my mixers are well over 7 years old and two are 13 years old!
            If they need stuff doing to them they have earned it. There is still no budget desk that can rival the DDX. I'm back to using a Yamaha analogue!! its just over a year old and channel one has died. It's like going back to the dark ages!!

Comment

• Hi Quite new here
              Can I still get the firmware to reflash the os? If so I'll have to find a laptop with a serial port.
              Cheers Bob

Comment

• DDX_ EPROM BIN.zip As many have asked me, and i forgot the password on the original file here is the eeprom bin files with no password

Comment

• Hello everyone. I own a DDX3216. I bought used with the defect of powering up and not initializing. All LEDs light up alternately. +1 8 on the display. I changed all the PSU capacitors, I changed the Crystal 32k. I cleaned all the plates.

By connecting only the display to the main board, I get only a few black bars and they disappear after a few seconds.

I have 2v voltage on Crystal Q1, 0.500v on Q3.

CPU AMD has died?

Can I reprogram the IC19 to recover the mixer?

RS232 only works after full boot?

thanks.

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I was reading this forum posts related to the ddx3216. I have one that I got cheap. All is working exept for the display. At startup it shows an image when contrast dial is turned completely down. But after a few seconds the screen goes dark. I think it could be related to the bias voltage for the contrast. Maybe bad caps? Anyway I downloaded the schematics for this desk, but like others in this thread I got the vesion where the display part is not complete. Would someone be so kind and put this schematic up again where it is all complete? Would be much appreciated
                    Any help would be welcome too.

I put a youtube movie with the symptoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48NUk1Lw2sI&t=0s

Could it be because of overall bad PSU voltages? (All seems to be working fine though) That's what I wanted to check first anyway and do a recap. But maybe first get the display to work correctly, because a replacement display is nowhere to be found.

kind regards,
                    Maurice

Comment

• Recap the main PS, and then change the small caps on the Display board.

Comment

• Originally posted by guitardad View Post
                        Recap the main PS, and then change the small caps on the Display board.
                        Hi Guitardad,

Thanks. The caps are ordered yesterday. However the voltages of the PS are o.k. (Checked with volt meter, but maybe I should have checked with meter on AC or with my scope for ripples) The capacitors look all o.k. from the outside. No bulging ones or leaking elco stuff on the pcb. But going to recap anyway just to have it done, else I will have to do it later anyway.
                        I think the problem is the caps on the LCD PCB. I changed the 10mF caps already for new ones (non smd) I had these lying around. the 10mF's were really bad, they couldnt hold any load. I checked the 4,7 uF ones (around the LM324), they are dead as well. It would make sense, because it is providing the Vee voltage for the display. Will report back when I have the caps.

thanks,
                        br
                        Maurice

Comment

• Hi,

Replaced all the caps on the display board (10 and 4.7 uF) But that didnt help. Still looking for the complete display part schematic.
                          Hmm going to check the voltages again under load with a voltmeter and scope. It's that those internal cables are so short. no room really to measure.
                          Stil waiting on the PSU caps to arrive.

br
                          Maurice

Comment

• Originally posted by dutch_anykey View Post
                            Hi,

Replaced all the caps on the display board (10 and 4.7 uF) But that didnt help. Still looking for the complete display part schematic.
                            Hmm going to check the voltages again under load with a voltmeter and scope. It's that those internal cables are so short. no room really to measure.
                            Stil waiting on the PSU caps to arrive.

br
                            Maurice
                            Wait until you recap the PS or you may be chasing your tail. What were the PS voltages off those lv rails?

Comment

• Hi Guitardad,

I checked the power connector when everything is connected:

should be:
                              +5
                              DG
                              DG
                              +3v3
                              DG
                              +12

is now:

DG
                              DG
                              DG

Not sure how accuate those voltages should be? But that 5.37 is a bit high isnt it? And if caps would be bad I would suspect lower voltages instead. But caps are on their way so lets do that first.

br
                              Maurice

Comment

• That looks like a bad connection on the display - like a signal is floating. I'm not familiar with this mixer but it's quite common to find elastomeric connectors between the PCB and the LCD that are a source of trouble. If it has you many be able to apply a little pressure or move them is some small way and see if it helps. It could be a bad solder joint so inspect thoroughly, using a least a decent magnifying glass.

I suspect changing all the PSU caps will be a waste of time & money. especially as the voltages are OK.
                                Last edited by nickb; 01-26-2017, 06:33 PM.
                                Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X