Woven asbestos in Peavey amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woven asbestos in Peavey amps?

Just doing some work on an old 70s Peavey Deuce and the inside of the back panel has what appears to be woven asbestos tape stapled along it. I can only remember seeing aluminium along the back of these, though it's quite a while since I last worked on one. Anyone know if it is asbestos?

A guy on another forum checked about a '73 and they said no, but you might want to ask them yourself.
    post #7: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewt...50ac8f3f69015a
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

old radio guys (who encounter asbestos on a reglular basis) often spray clear lacquer on it as its the liberated fibers which get lodged in lungs.

FYI asbestos itself has no mutagenic activity, its the poor blood cells trying in vain to attack the indestructible crap which damage the DNA leading to the big C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fibers-02-00045-g001-1024.png
Views:	1
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	833364

PS if I worked for a company that, in the past, had used asbestos in a consumer product I am sure it would be policy to NEVER admit that fact; what exactly is the "not asbestos" in these amps??
      Last edited by tedmich; 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I've seen lots of tweed amps returned from shops that simply discard the asbestos-bearing panel and return the amp with a new panel. Some staple an aluminum or copper sheet inside the panel. Personally I just leave 'em alone and don't raise any air currents near the stuff, also wash my hands a lot after handling.

In college, I worked in a hi vacuum lab where we sawed up 4' by 8' sheets of asbestos with Skilsaws to create bake-out ovens for the vac systems. 'Course back then, asbestos wasn't dangerous... I figure if my goose is cooked, what I did back then did it.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          PS if I worked for a company that, in the past, had used asbestos in a consumer product I am sure it would be policy to NEVER admit that fact; what exactly is the "not asbestos" in these amps??
          I'll ask Peavey directly - it sure looks like asbestos and is a friable woven fibre with a similar weave to seat belt webbing, rather than the compressed fibre boards. There's now an interesting parallel to asbestos with graphene, with concerns that single-atom-thick platelets can lodge in lung tissue and could give rise to similar latent problems of tissue scarring.

Comment

My first reaction would be that it is fiberglass, not asbestos. But I certainly agree that it is better to ask.

Perhaps related, I am a big fan of Scotch 27 glass tape. Heat helps set its glue, and it is a great isulator. It has a woven texture as well.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...fn=27%20DS.pdf
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Actually asbestos is everywhere.
              Car brake linings are made of it, and the dust flies all over the highways, and everywhere else.
              Drywall in houses and buildings contains plenty of it...popcorn textured ceilings are made of asbestos...
              Vermiculite, used in landscaping and flower pots is loaded with it...
              Steel frame buildings...the steel is also covered with it, for fire proofing, and it blows all over the place during construction.
              You actually breath it every day, even though you really don't notice it or see it.

It's really too late to avoid it, it's everywhere.
              Asbestos is "illegal" but it's already far, far beyond clean up. It's all over the place.

But yes, the lining on the back of old amplifiers probably is what you feared. Soft, white fibrous, fire proof blanket...bingo.
              Last edited by soundguruman; 05-19-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Asbestos has been replaced for most applications with ceramic fiber mats, batts, panels, rope, etc. It does look like asbestos in many applications, but is theoretically less prone to causing lung cancer. Sadly the imitation is so good that in many cases you can't tell by eye that it's ceramic fiber and not asbestos.

Remember - asbestos, like ricin and botulinum toxin is ALL NATURAL.

Mother Nature wants you to live long enough to reproduce and raise offspring to self-sufficiency, after which you are (to Mother Nature at least) an utterly superfluous drag on resources that other newly-born creaturelings could use for food. I get tired of seeing ALL NATURAL in advertising.
                Last edited by R.G.; 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM.
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  Just doing some work on an old 70s Peavey Deuce and the inside of the back panel has what appears to be woven asbestos tape stapled along it. I can only remember seeing aluminium along the back of these, though it's quite a while since I last worked on one. Anyone know if it is asbestos?
                  Pictures?

Comment

You'd need a microscope to tell by eye with any certainty at all.
                    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

I can spot asbestos by eye, with absolutely no difficulty.

Comment

Here's what it looks like;

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6041 (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	833384

It's not glass fibre, could be ceramic - but the age and common use of asbestos at that time makes me suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                          I can spot asbestos by eye, with absolutely no difficulty.
                          But you believe it is still being used in brake pads and modern construction, and vermiculite.
                          Plus you taught Baron Munchausen everything he didn't know.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Since the late '90's, All auto manufacturers (except the Land Rover)
                            have switched away from asbestos brake pads.
                            As asbestos has never actually been outlawed or banned, it is a voluntary thing.

The real culprit is the aftermarket pads.

Comment

I ... can turn a gray sky blue.
                              I can make it rain, whenever I want it to.
                              Oh, I can build a castle from a single grain of sand.
                              I can make a ship sail, uh, on dry land.

But my life is incomplete and I'm so blue...

Comment

Working...
                              X