Telefunken Opus 7 table radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telefunken Opus 7 table radio

I literally FOUND one of these. It's in dirty but decent cosmetic condition. Lots of scale and sediment on the inside but no rust I can see. It looks like it's been parked in the corner of a dirty garage for decades on end. Popping the hood I found the original operation manual, power plug, schematic, sales brochure, store pamphlet and spare fuses. Not to mention all the original Telefunken tubes in place. I don't dare plug it in before the old selenium rectifier and power supply caps are replaced.

This was top of the line in 1956! Later than the super collectible table radios but right there in the golden age. It's said that fidelity wise they hold up very well even by today's standards. Six speakers!!! Two 8" alnico Telefunken speakers in front and a small mid driver and tweeter in each front corner. 35lbs! A few ugly dings and scratches on the cabinet but no missing parts, no rust and no cracked buttons or knobs. The grill cloth is in pretty impressive shape actually.

I'm not especially interested in this project but I could never bring myself to tear it up either. Restored units with the manual go up to 500 bones. But I can see that with the restoration effort required I'd be lucky to break even for my time. Not to mention that I have no experience with table radio mechanics or receiver electronics.

Should I just clean it up a little and sell it as is? I might give it away if I thought someone really wanted it and would take it as a restoration project (and pay shipping ) I'm just happy I could save it from inevitable destruction.

Thoughts? What would YOU do?

EDIT: Here's a link with some info and images on this model: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunken_opus_7.html
    Last edited by Chuck H; 05-19-2014, 05:59 AM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Old radios are way better than modern ones.

Comment

FKU (fix, keep, use ).
      We have a similar style Philips Capella 663, it sounds amazing. Couldn't believe the bottom end coming from these types of radios with the 5 speaker setup.
      The coolest thing about the Philips is the illuminated orchestra, as you adjust the tone controls metal plates move in and block the light so parts of the orchestra disappear.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	663orch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	833385.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, I'd FKU it also, as g-one says. That'd be a great conversation piece in any shop, and from what I'm told, a great sounding radio when working. Great find! I never find cool stuff like that.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

FKU... Hmmm... The way this thing is put together it'll take too long just to have a conversation piece. Everything is connected and supported by everything else. Sort of like working on a BMW . Since I've read that all the old paper in oil caps are likely to be leaky I have to expect a complete disassembly!!! I'll think on it but I'm not sure I wanna sign up for this. I guess this thing is a bit of an albatross.?.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

So your preference is to say FUK it rather than FKU it?
            Last edited by The Dude; 05-20-2014, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Probably. I like cool factor as much as anyone, but... I do already have a music system in my home so this would basically just be decor-ish. And most likely confined to my bench area if my wife has any say in it. Plus, just too much going on to take in a needy radio right now. I don't want to learn everything there is to know about these things and buddy up with other owners on antique radio forums to source odd parts, etc. I'm not being a wuss. I just have too many hobbies as it is.

Comment

Yep, I get it. Just a play on letters. I hate to mooch off of forum members, but if you're serious about giving it away, I'd pay shipping. PM me if you can't find a buyer for it. I'll take it off your hands, though I'd rather see the finder make some cash.

Comment

Working...
                X