Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a find!! Any idea how hard it is to come by these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a find!! Any idea how hard it is to come by these things?

Now that I have access to a shop again, I can get to work on some projects that were put on hold. Ugh! been too long.
    One of those is the subminiature stand alone tube reverb you guys were helping me sort out the design on.
    Wouldn't you know that I came across these little beauties that I can use in the build, but more importantly, these will come in so handy for "breadboarding/prototyping" the build for testing and review!
    They're perfect! But unfortunately, damn near impossible to find (even just the phenolic socket, let alone the mounting heat sink shields).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Subminiature Tube Sockets-1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	909086

Name:	Subminiature Tube Sockets-2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	909087
    There are pairs of 6111 dual triodes and 6943 pentodes inserted. Interestingly, the 6111s are the larger of the tubes and fill the length of the cage. The 6943s are tiny for the punch they have, and are almost hidden behind the ribs.

To give you an idea of the size of the components, I included a dunlop jazz pick along with the power transformer, tubes, and spring reverb unit.

Name:	Subminiature Reverb Components.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	909088
    Pretty cool, no?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Awesome! I had no idea they were so small till I looked at the picture with the plectrum. I hope those beautiful (brass?) casings will be visible in your final design. Also, I've never see a plastic reverb tank - I must spend too much time around old gear...

Comment

These are crazy looking. I can't wait to see what you turn this into. Post some updates when you get time to finish the project.
      "I don't care about your guitar instructing, real music comes from the heart." -Dimebag

Comment

Never saw tube sockets like that. I have used these for breadboarding ideas.

Name:	$_61.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	910786

Comment

Working...
        X