Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hand crimp tool for molex minifit jr (computer power)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand crimp tool for molex minifit jr (computer power)

I put a motherboard in an old case, and the main power cable is just a little too short. It connects but I can't route it around the motherboard to tie up the cable nicely. Plenty of sellers for "24 pin ATX power extension cable" but most look pretty poorly made. I poked around and found that the connectors are Molex Minifit Jr type, and have crimp pins, found those too. also under minifit jr. e.g. Molex 39-00-0040.

They're cheap enough to buy, the connectors and cimp pins but eek teh hand crimpers at least those sold by the big electronics distributors are $400.00- $500.00 usd and up. Some 4 times that. I won't build 500.00 worth of cables in my lifetime. Anyone know of a cheaper hand crimper to workaround ? I was thinking something taht could do this in two steps, one step to crimp the smaller part that holds the wire, and a second crimp round the insulated part that holds the jacket in place.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Um...it works? The cable reaches well enough to make the unit functional? And we now want to make up extension cables, adding connectors, just so it looks neater? At this point I would stop fixing it, and put the cover back on.

Just my opinion.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Cool, thanks Enzo. I'll grab a photo, maybe if you see it. The issue I can see is that this main heavy cable is a bit taught, and winds over the top of the motherboard. All my other computers, ok mostly very old ones, the main power cable is routed tight against the chassis, clips or tie wraps, then turns and dumps into the main 24 pin connector. This one, all the weight of the cable is pulling down on the main connector on this very thin, flimsy (sadly) boar.d. Id rather just put in a cable that is the right length. and have no additonal connectors. Ohh I hate these "modular" power supplies, connectors up the wazoo.
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

It seems, nobody sells different lengths modular main 24 pin power cables. <frown>

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
          I put a motherboard in an old case, and the main power cable is just a little too short. It connects but I can't route it around the motherboard to tie up the cable nicely. Plenty of sellers for "24 pin ATX power extension cable" but most look pretty poorly made. I poked around and found that the connectors are Molex Minifit Jr type, and have crimp pins, found those too. also under minifit jr. e.g. Molex 39-00-0040.

They're cheap enough to buy, the connectors and cimp pins but eek teh hand crimpers at least those sold by the big electronics distributors are $400.00- $500.00 usd and up. Some 4 times that. I won't build 500.00 worth of cables in my lifetime. Anyone know of a cheaper hand crimper to workaround ? I was thinking something taht could do this in two steps, one step to crimp the smaller part that holds the wire, and a second crimp round the insulated part that holds the jacket in place.
          So, the answer to your question (what I think is your question) is these type of connectors are called "open barrel" connectors because of the way they terminate to the wire. Most standard type molex, and almost every other type of crimp terminal can be found in this format. You have the option to buy an open barrel hand crimp specific to this task in some range of terminal sizes/wire gauges. Or you can buy a ratcheting crimp tool which uses dies specific to a task, that can swapped in and out of the crimper. This is my preferred method. I bought a really nice Greenlee that came pre-setup with a die for insulated terminals for wires 14-22 AWG. Since then, I've been able to add dies for un-insulated terminals, open barrel, and wire ferrules, all in various sizes. The die sets aren't cheap, but I would never be with out this tool. It makes for very easy, very quick, and very high quality crimp connections. In my opinion, if you can't afford to buy one new, it's worth being thrifty and patient, and look for a well maintained used one versus buying a cheap tool. If you do repairs or builds with any regularity, it's worth it.
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Oh, Mike, I didn't realize it was you who posted this. You should run over to YouDoIt Electronics in Needham (right off 128). The will have all of those things I mentioned and you can check them out. If you go on a Saturday, ask for my friend Scott.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Hi Soul, thanks will do! Sorry for late reply, been a while since I logged in. I've passed UDoIt many times cruising down 95 to bring my son to various soccer games over the years, but I don't think Ive been in, will go when they're open next.

Comment

Working...
              X