Cheap but good soldering station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    I'd look at Pace. I know they're expensive, but you can find used stations on eBay at reasonable prices. I've had my solder/desolder station for 30+ years and still going strong. Worth every nickel.
    I wasn't able to find much worth having for less than a hundy on *bay. Everything in daz's price range was just the temp control module with no iron. There was one Sensatemp unit with an iron for eighty bucks but the iron didn't look like the other Pace irons I saw. These are clearly high end units that the used market has now cottoned onto. I don't think you'll find a good used Pace station with the Pace iron for less than $120 or so. That puts them far out of the price point being considered here I think. But hey! You get what you pay for. A product that lasts for thirty years (in the hands of a guy that uses it no less) has to be valued in hours for the price. A concept I can get behind for sure.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Point(s) well taken. I guess for the occasional hobbyist, maybe that price doesn't make much sense. I use mine every day- all day, since this is how I make my living. The prices you found aren't all that expensive in my situation. My Pace station has payed for itself multitudes of times.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Point(s) well taken. I guess for the occasional hobbyist, maybe that price doesn't make much sense. I use mine every day- all day, since this is how I make my living. The prices you found aren't all that expensive in my situation. My Pace station has payed for itself multitudes of times.
        Strong endorsement. FWIW I will be in a position to use a soldering station daily pretty soon (if I have my way). I'm looking into this brand as a reliable bench tool.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

FWIW my own soldering station is a Radio Shack digital (with the push buttons that daz hates, and I do too). But it's been a reliable unit for dozens of projects and dozens of repairs. I'm not a pro like some here but I've been impressed at how well this thing has held up. Let me put it this way,.. I'm sure I can't replace it with another unit at the same price point in this day and age. I had the same experience with my old B&K DMM that I purchased new some thirty years ago. I know from experience that I'll never get the same level of performance and reliability from current units in the same price point so I bought a refurbished Fluke 87 off *bay instead of something of a comparable price point for todays market. And I know I did the right thing. I'll do it the same when I replace my soldering station. And I'll be looking at the Pace units.

Comment

I'm still impressed with my DIY T-12 station. It's been my main station since building it and is a real joy to use - so much so I ordered another complete set of parts to build another. Having a rotary control for temperature is really easy and it has a push boost for a short-term increase in temperature if needed. I got a set of additional assorted bits dirt cheap - they have the heating element and sensor built into each one. So far, though I've used a HD chisel bit for eyelet boards and a fine 0.8mm chisel for SMD work and they've held up really well. No tip burning or tinning failure. The auto power off is a real bonus and as soon as you pick up the iron its ready to use.

My huge 'Mother Of All Soldering Irons' is still used for soldering cap cans to chassis and re-flowing cracked grounding plate joints in old Fenders, but for everything else I use the T-12 station.

See post #26 here; https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ng-irons/page2

Comment

I have the Hakko FX888D-23BY and really like it. It took a minute or two to figure out how to program the temperatures and how to switch between them, but mine is working well. I have it default to 700°F, but have settings above and below that which are accessible by just pressing the up or down button to cycle between the 5 preset temperatures. Are you certain your station's temperature is high enough when you are attempting to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

out of the price point being considered here I think.
                I'm not clear on what that is. Equivalent of $40 thirty years ago or something like that?

Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  I'm not clear on what that is. Equivalent of $40 thirty years ago or something like that?
                  That's what I was thinking. And there is an inference in the opening post about not wanting to spend much on the considered units because the reviews are hit and miss. This, to me, implies that we're shopping in the budget market. And let's not discount that the thread title opens with the word "Cheap". I don't have much experience with different soldering stations but I've been looking anyway on account of this thread. I've been limiting my searches to $40-$70. Ala $40 thirty years ago.

Not much out there in that range. My own Rat Shack station that has been working reliably for me with moderate use, but for a long time now must be better than I thought. I saw a lightly used one from the same era selling for a hundred bucks on *bay. And I thought it was just a cheap tool that just hasn't broken yet.

Comment

$40 in 1992 would be $85 in today dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
                      $40 in 1992 would be $85 in today dollars.
                      That's what is calling "progress"
                      Last edited by catalin gramada; 11-23-2022, 09:02 AM.
                      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post

That's what is calling "progress"
                        In 1992 average income in US was $32,200. Last year it was $70,800, so it at least makes up for the inflation (on a macro level). The prices go up, income goes up, most people still getting more stuff than they used to.
                        Last edited by glebert; 11-23-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post

In 1992 average income in US was $32,200. Last year it was $70,800, so it at least makes up for the inflation (on a macro level). The prices go up, income goes up, most people still getting more stuff than they used to.
                          Wow I'm still at 1992 levels.
                          nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

Wow I'm still at 1992 levels.
                            nosaj
                            Clarification, the number I gave was actually median (not average) for a household, for an individual it is probably in the 50's.

Comment

No change here. Historically in the south our incomes have usually been 10 15years behind. Unless you have college degrees. But we do ok an ID never move anywhere Unless it's back to Whidbey.
                              nosaj
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I may be late here, but there are tons of cheap stations between 25-50 bux.
                                Some have great reviews on Amazon.
                                https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soldering...-iron_k0_1_6_1
                                I have always liked weller stuff.
                                I'm tempted to buy for myself the cheap weller Wlc100 40 watt analog.
                                I have some tips that might fit it.
                                T
                                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X