• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zimbodel
    replied
    That about sums it up perfectly.
    I agree.

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
    It all started with Michael Landau ... ...
    and via technically and grammatically we come to turkey reverb.

Leave a comment:

• zimbodel
    replied
    Likewise.

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
    If you ride the ass backwards you will see where you've been and what you should have done said or not argued about. Pointless drivel arguing semantics.

Nosaj

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    I have also seen "installed" and "not installed" in use.

Leave a comment:

• g1
    replied
    Since it came up in a different thread, here is an example of 'stuffed', from one of North Americas largest manufacturers of music equipment.
    The term is standard nomenclature for my time in electronics, but that only goes back to the 80's.
    To me, the word 'placed' used here would be ambiguous as to whether the board is complete (soldered) yet. I guess 'populated' would also work, but as far as I know, 'stuffed' and 'unstuffed' are the accepted standard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stuffed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	856099

Leave a comment:

• vintagekiki
    replied
    It all started with Michael Landau ... ...
    and via technically and grammatically we come to turkey reverb.

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Originally posted by zimbodel View Post
    Parkway is a driveway that goes through open spaces synonymous to a park.
    Therefore parkway.
    There is more than one meaning to the term "park"

I have never accused you of being lowbrow.
    You are putting words in my mouth.
    If you ride the ass backwards you will see where you've been and what you should have done said or not argued about. Pointless drivel arguing semantics.

Nosaj

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Clearly the irony is lost, so have a lovely day...

Leave a comment:

• zimbodel
    replied
    Parkway is a driveway that goes through open spaces synonymous to a park.
    Therefore parkway.
    There is more than one meaning to the term "park"

I have never accused you of being lowbrow.
    You are putting words in my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    OK, you win. I am lowbrow, and use nonsensical terminology. I am glad we could settle that.

Now please explain to me why we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway.

Leave a comment:

• zimbodel
    replied
    Well, I "stuff" a turkey. I do not "place" it.
    A turkey is hollow that is why it gets stuffed.
    Pcbs are not hollow.
    I guess some people can "place" their turkey as much as they want this season and then go to work and "stuff" the pcb's.

To me it certainly gives the impression of lowbrow.
    Last edited by zimbodel; 11-23-2019, 05:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Should we argue about "tube" instead of "valve"? I have been in electronics for 65 years, and I never heard the term "place" until we got to automated board machines. Pick and place machines. No one "placed" parts on hand wired circuits. I have seen some drawings that use the verb "fit". As in "not fitted in 50w model", or "fitted only in reverb models".. I think MArshall perhaps. Sounds British to my ear. Is that lowbrow and absurd too?

If two lines on a schematic cross, one convention draws that with a bump in one line to show it goes over the crossing line without a junction. Other conventions draw crossing lines as plain lines, and show connection by adding a big dot at the joint. Neither way is "incorrect".

Leave a comment:

• zimbodel
    replied
    I am owner of an electronics manufacturing company and I never heard stuffed...
    To me it is a really slang lowbrow lingo to replace the standard "place" with.
    There is no need for people to reinvent the wheel with a nonsensical equivalent.
    It has been the standard for decades to call it "placement" or to "place" a component.

Technically and grammatically you stuff something which is hollow and you place something onto something which is a plane.
    Completely absurd imo.

But lingo and fads picks up easy from generation to generation and you are right that this is the latest flavor even though, technically, historically and grammatically completely incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Jazz P Bass
    replied
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_designator

Leave a comment:

• Dave H
    replied
    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    K for relay? I have no idea why.
    From the German for contact (Kontakt) perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Clearly there are more relevant words.
    Well, they are commonly used terms in the industry. And I bet now that you know them, you won't forget. W for wire. Some draftsmen use J for jumper. Oh yes, the Brits call them links. Usually clear from the context. They have to call things something. R and C for resistor and cap are intuitive. OP amps? SOme are drawn as IC101, IC102 etc. Others are drawn as U101, U102, etc. DIodes are usually drawn as D, but there are still a good portion drawn as CR, for Crystal Rectifier. In my lifetime I saw 1000 change from M to k, now M means meg. But you still see old Gibson or other ancient schematics and you see resistors like 100M, 47M, and what not. Those are not megs, those are todays 100k and 47k. Caps came in mf and mmf, then changed to uf and uuf. For microfarads and micro-microfarads. uuf? Now we call them picofarads. I now use picofarads and it feels normal to me finally, but I will never internalize nanofarads. SOme drawers use VR for a pot rather than P, or even just call it another resistor. K for relay? I have no idea why. But all of them are conventions, and hopefully it only takes once to become familiar with them.

If you want to buy a replacement circuit board for an amp, many companies only sell them stuffed. But some sell the bare board if you prefer, and you can stuff it yourself.

I do not own a DeVille, but I was an authorized Fender warranty shop for 30 years. I have certainly repaired my share of them. I agree that they sound good on clean, and buy pedals for overdrive. I thing the gain channels sound awful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X