Seeking suggestions: oscilloscope and Variac w/meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking suggestions: oscilloscope and Variac w/meters

Lost a few pieces of test gear during the last hurricane and now is the time to replace them. Money IS an object, but I'll spend a couple dollars more to get the right features. My old scope was a Tek 475, but I'm thinking a digital o'scope is the way to go these days. My variac was built on a Staco 1520 autotransformer in a custom case with Simpson volt and ammeters, so my ability to monitor volts and current was very precise. I can't imagine having a variac without being able to precisely monitor AC volts and amps.

Any suggestions? Any ideas for the variac metering?

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
    Lost a few pieces of test gear during the last hurricane and now is the time to replace them. Money IS an object, but I'll spend a couple dollars more to get the right features. My old scope was a Tek 475, but I'm thinking a digital o'scope is the way to go these days. My variac was built on a Staco 1520 autotransformer in a custom case with Simpson volt and ammeters, so my ability to monitor volts and current was very precise. I can't imagine having a variac without being able to precisely monitor AC volts and amps.

Any suggestions? Any ideas for the variac metering?
    Prior to acquiring Valhalla 2001 Power Analyzers (and the much larger 100Amp Magtrol 4614 power analyzers), I relied on the smaller Weston passive AC Voltmeters and AC Current Meters, such as their Model 433 series (I have a 0-10A AC Current Meter which has a 1/5/10 A current range switch, along with a bypass position, so you can get good resolution on Current. The AC Voltmeter is a 0.150V FS. I haven't followed the present ebay trend in prices for those. I'm sure Tucker charges way too much for them.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I think i'm going to pull the trigger on this Staco EJ401V. It's only 4 amps but it has isolation built in plus DC conversion to 0-120 variable @ 4 amps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_092634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	852797

Name:	20190122_092710.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	852798

Name:	20190122_092725.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	852799

Still looking for the right scope at the right price. I mostly work on guitar & bass amps and the occasional pro audio piece.

Comment

Working...
      X