Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware help

Hi all,
    Trying to get a LIne 6 AxII chassis back together and I lost the screws that hold the two chassis pieces together. I have one screw to compare to. Looks just like a #6 SAE 1/2 inch but it won't fit a #6 nut, so it is probably metric. Hardware store has M3 screws which look to be the same diameter, but its not a .50 thread pitch. Looks to be a .70 pitch looking at the M4 screws. Can't find an M3 .70 pitch screw on line, at EBAY, Mouse, Digi-key, Home Depot, Walmart, Ace hardware, any place on line or a local store. Guess I'll order from Line 6, but just wondering if anybody out there has a line on where such a beast can be found? About 1/2 in. long, round head. Embarasing me, since I had all the screws taped to the chassis (6) but 5 of them went away.
    Thanks for your time

No such thing. .5 is the only pitch for M3.
    How about a fine #6 (assuming you tried coarse 32 vs fine 40 pitch)
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There is also an M3.5 x .6mm thread. I don't think it is especially common, but worth a try.

Comment

What do they screw on/to?
        If cage or clip nuts, you can probably replace them by similar but available ones; if press fit (Tons required) you are stuck to match originals.

Care to share a picture or two?
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

g1, .5 is too fine. The threads actually mesh with a 6-32, but like I said, the screw won't fit in a 6-32 nut.
          Bloomfield. Interesting, but I think I'll just contact Line 6
          JM Goes into press fit boss's in the cover plate.
          I'll just get hold of Line 6. Thanks for your time guys. Appreciated!

Comment

May not be vintaage correct, but can you tap them to desired size.
            I keep a variety of taps around for guitar, amp type work.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

For what it's worth, most of the hardware listed in Line6 service manuals are SAE, not metric.
              Interested to find out what it turns out to be.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Turned out to be 6-32 sae. The reason the screw I had wouldn't fit a 6-32 nut was because the end of the screw was buggerd a little DUH

Comment

Originally posted by booj View Post
                  Turned out to be 6-32 sae. The reason the screw I had wouldn't fit a 6-32 nut was because the end of the screw was buggerd a little DUH
                  We all have had those days. With me, it's the last couple screws I know I don't have spares of, and in the course of driving the screw in, rear panel by the edge of the bench, screwdriver slips, screw escapes yelling 'FREEEEEEEEE.....all the way to the floor, it being black on a black floor, and takes a football bounce into the unknown reaches, just to entice me to lay down on the floor and grovel with a flashlight with fleeting hope of finding the little curd.

Or, trying to re-thread the M6 screws back into the cage nuts of a Marshall head or Ampeg SVT, where it absolutely refuses to thread in.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Glad you solved and the knowledge stays for future use.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X