Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cream Plastic Humbucker Covers or Plastic Source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cream Plastic Humbucker Covers or Plastic Source?

I am looking for cream colored plastic humbucker covers. Mojo used to have them but no longer do.

Anyone have any leads?

Or, where could I source a thin cream colored plastic sheet to cut for humbucker inserts to use with open covers?

All ideas appreciated.

From the Peanut Gallery

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
    All ideas appreciated.
    Be careful what you wish for. Here are some "ideas":

> I don't know why cream humbucker covers aren't widely available- unless it's just for lack of demand.
    For Gibson humbuckers, cream plastic covers aren't "historically correct"- but neither are black or white plastic covers.
    It's got nothing to do with the infamous DiMarzio trademark- which is for exposed cream bobbins.

> In searching for material for DIY inserts, try color names other than "cream".
    The hue you are seeking might be called "tan", "beige", "almond", "ivory", "sand", "camel", "antique white", "cafe au lait", "Swiss chocolate"....

> If you're going to go with open covers, there's no reason to limit the insert material to plastic.
    You might find other materials more interesting.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Creamery_Custom_Sweet_14_Gold_Silver_Foil_Pickup_Set_Gibson_PAF_Humbucker_Size.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	845086 Click image for larger version

Name:	Creamery_Custom_Sweet_14_Gold_Foil_Pickup_Set_Gibson_PAF_Humbucker_Size_Custom_Covers.jpg
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	845087 Click image for larger version

Name:	cfcbe907-132f-4884-b43a-db7f24e28bf4__23833.1432296922.465.500.jpg
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	845088

> Formica and Wilsonart both supply free samples to "qualified parties".
    You might check them out for some tasteful, or tacky, possibilities.
    Formica® Laminate - Cafe
    High Pressure Laminate - Retro Renovation® Crème Caramel - Y0406

Have fun,
    -rb

EDIT:
    Found some "creme" polystyrene sheet on eBay.
    Different size sheets, all .080" thick, from the same vendor.
    Too thick for your application? Here's one example:
    STYRENE POLYSTYRENE PLASTIC SHEET .080" THICK 6" X 6" CREME COLOR | eBay

EDIT2:
    Automotive plastic spray paint?
    Last edited by rjb; 03-26-2017, 05:01 AM. Reason: Added some color names
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Schaller used to make them and probably still do.

https://www.schaller-electronic.com/...kup-Covers.htm

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        Be careful what you wish for. Here are some "ideas":

> I don't know why cream humbucker covers aren't widely available- unless it's just for lack of demand.
        For Gibson humbuckers, cream plastic covers aren't "historically correct"- but neither are black or white plastic covers.
        It's got nothing to do with the infamous DiMarzio trademark- which is for exposed cream bobbins.

> In searching for material for DIY inserts, try color names other than "cream".
        The hue you are seeking might be called "tan", "beige", "almond", "ivory", "sand", "camel", "antique white", or....

> If you're going to go with open covers, there's no reason to limit the insert material to plastic.
        You might find other materials more interesting.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]42892[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]42893[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]42894[/ATTACH]

> Formica and Wilsonart both supply free samples to "qualified parties".
        You might check them out for some tasteful, or tacky, possibilities.
        Formica® Laminate - Cafe
        High Pressure Laminate - Retro Renovation® Crème Caramel - Y0406

Have fun,
        -rb

EDIT:
        Found some "creme" polystyrene sheet on eBay.
        Different size sheets, all .080" thick, from the same vendor.
        Too thick for your application? Here's one example:
        STYRENE POLYSTYRENE PLASTIC SHEET .080" THICK 6" X 6" CREME COLOR | eBay

EDIT2:
        Automotive plastic spray paint?
        Thanks for all that. The images are...good, but without a source for any of it...

Yes, .080 is too thick.

Comment

Formica is a great way to go. I have some on hand if you just need a little. If you need them cut, I can do that too. How many do you need? (This is for inserts)
          I haven't seen the cream plastic covers for a while. I used to have some.
          Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
            Schaller used to make them and probably still do.

https://www.schaller-electronic.com/...kup-Covers.htm

Cheers

Andrew
            They do. But, cost + shipping + spacing, etc...

It is an option, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnut View Post
              Formica is a great way to go. I have some on hand if you just need a little. If you need them cut, I can do that too. How many do you need? (This is for inserts)
              I haven't seen the cream plastic covers for a while. I used to have some.
              It is. You have cream formica? I only need 2 but would buy more for down the road. I would need them cut and, if you're able, drilled.

Comment

The available Formica patterns with "cream" or "creme" in their names are probably not what you are looking for.
                But 5"x7" samples of "Cafe" and "Desert Beige" in gloss finish are free for the asking.
                Formica Laminate Swatches - Samples
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

@ jrdamien, is it a neck and bridge? What string spacing do you use? Drilled? If you mean for the poles, I will use laser to do the whole thing. I can do a few sets to help get you through.
                  Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Working...
                  X