Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap kit Audio amp question

Hi All,
    I have a couple of sets of speakers for my computer. One is powered but the amp board got ruined over the years. The volume control with on off switch loosened up from the board, a bunch of traces peeled off, etc. I had gone in and fixed it (sort of), but its basically ruined.
    Started looking around for cheap audio amp kits, on a small board. Can anyone tell me how bad these are:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM1876TF-30....c100010.m2109

No heat sinks, so that's sort of a red flag. The layout of electrolytics looks sketchy (why use so many and not fewer higher value? )

Anyway, curious if anyone has an opinion if this 14.00 thing would blow up in two days, or maybe OK.

Its only going to be powering one or two small sets of speakers, for computer audio.

Thanks.
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

You are supposed to mount on a heatsink. That's not uncommon for these kind of kits at that price.
    My worry would be whether the power chip is authentic. Even so, I'm sure they work, and your application is not too demanding as far as needing full power capability of the chip.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      You are supposed to mount on a heatsink. That's not uncommon for these kind of kits at that price.
      My worry would be whether the power chip is authentic. Even so, I'm sure they work, and your application is not too demanding as far as needing full power capability of the chip.
      Cool, thanks. Sent the seller a q if they sell the heat sink. Found a few other kits, similar price, also no heat sink. I did search the web for "heat sink for LM 1876, but no hits.

Yeah, I don't think this is a demanding app, just mostly low sound levels for my PC speakers.
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Search for heatsink for output IC rather than specifically the LM1876.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Mike ....

Take a look at this - https://pic-microcontroller.com/diy-...wer-amplifier/

If you are pushing this chip, it gets HOT!! So you need a BIG heat sink!!

Comment

Why mess around with Class AB?

I would go with a Class D stereo amp board with a volume control.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Blu....c100005.m1851

Comment

Or buy a cheap working stereo receiver at a yard sale and connect the computer to that.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Reading and googling ...

Comment

Go to a Goodwill Store or similar Thrift shop operation. They literally have piles of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                    Go to a Goodwill Store or similar Thrift shop operation. They literally have piles of this stuff.
                    Sometimes pretty good stuff too.
                    Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Thanks everyone, read a bunch. Well, re class D: just didn't know what's good and what's not. I found a few other LM187X, a few 1875's, few come with heat sinks. The ones that don't, I emailed the seller and they have no idea. I think there must be 20 sellers that bought a big pile of the same unit from some wholesaler, or someone who went bust. They don't know what they're selling and don't know where to find parts like heat sinks.

Thanks for the link to the project page. on the PIC site. The links there are dead but someone does have another site with the PCB files. I love to tinker, so might try that if I can still get boards made.

Re buying cheap used, arrghh, this part of Eastern MA seem s like a dead zone for lots of used stuff for some reason. Our local craigstlist is chock full of 20.00 items selling for 150.00. <big frown> As an aside, looked forEVER for an old beat up 'scope, finally a friend gave me one that he had in his closet for 25 years that his wife sai "get rid of this or GO". All the throwaway junk is going for 100 and up. Most I wouldn't even take as a throwaway!!!

Another reason for going board level, is I like to solder and tinker with stuff, but akk if I could get a cheap throw away receiver, or like 20 or 25 bucks, any model Id take it.

Thanks for the tip on Goodwill. There's one not far from Nashua, a bit north of where I live.

Geez all those years I lived on Long Island going to school, they had some absolutely fantastic yard sales. I had bought a really high end granite base turn table, with a high end cartridge for like 15 bucks back in the day. I see yard sales around where I live in Eastern MA, but dang its like a big pile of chipped dishes and some old clothes. No idea what these people do with their old Moog synthesizers, Fender and Gibson guitars and old stereo equipment!

I think I should move!

Comment

Found a few heat sinks for the audio thing, if it came to that. Pricey!! Eek. They sell by the foot and its like 100 bucks. I don't need a foot, but even half that, would still be several times the cost of the whole kit. I can't convince myself that a piece of aluminum with little fins is worth fifty bucks. Longing for the old days of piles of old stereo equipment sitting on the side of the road.

Forty bucks?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...vvfWj95niGs%3D

Its a piece of aluminum, not a new mercedes!

Comment

Ever see a stereo in a dumpster? A dead one still has good heat sinks in it.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Seriously... practically everyone that bought a a computer in the last 20 years got an amp and speakers with it... then chucked them when they upgraded or moved. I gave 6 of them to the Goodwill Drop Off when I moved last January. They all have a corner with the stuff stacked to the ceiling. Also good for power supplies, wall worts, etc. A lot of times the speakers and the amps get separated too and you get them for $1 or $2.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                              Ever see a stereo in a dumpster? A dead one still has good heat sinks in it.
                              Been quite a while. Used to, all the time. Have to keep looking

Comment

Working...
                              X