Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question on SS amps with failed outputs

Just have a general question on SS amps

I've got a Marshall DX250 with a failed output putting about 4vdc on the output. They said it would squeel of and on and now it just squeels.
    My question is how do you guys vet the speaker for problems?
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Run another known good amp into the speaker.

Then run the amp (if it's working properly) into a known good speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
      Just have a general question on SS amps

I've got a Marshall DX250 with a failed output putting about 4vdc on the output. They said it would squeel of and on and now it just squeels.
      My question is how do you guys vet the speaker for problems?
      nosaj
      On mounted speakers, you don't have front access to push evenly on the cone to test for mechanical damage. I'll of course check for nominal DC coil resistance, which will usually be around 60%-70% of the rated impedance (5.6 ohms for an 8 ohm spkr typ). Then, I'll sweep the speaker, first disconnecting the amp from it. I have a generator that can drive speakers directly, but in lieu of that, a separate working amp will suffice, and sweep it from 10Hz thru 200Hz or higher. If it's blown, you'll hear a kazoo sound to it. 4VDC on the speaker cone will force the cone in one direction from nominal resting position, though usually won't cause it to open (less than 3W on an 8 ohm spkr).

On multiple spkrs, I do the same thing. I'll usually park the oscillator frequency around 40-50Hz, and put my finger thru the spkr frame opening to feel if each of the speakers are vibrating. Sympathetic resonance normally will NOT feel as strong as a working speaker when multiples are in the cabinet.

Cone tears are another story....but can usually be heard when sweeping the cabinet/spkrs.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
        On mounted speakers, you don't have front access to push evenly on the cone to test for mechanical damage. I'll of course check for nominal DC coil resistance, which will usually be around 60%-70% of the rated impedance (5.6 ohms for an 8 ohm spkr typ). Then, I'll sweep the speaker, first disconnecting the amp from it. I have a generator that can drive speakers directly, but in lieu of that, a separate working amp will suffice, and sweep it from 10Hz thru 200Hz or higher. If it's blown, you'll hear a kazoo sound to it. 4VDC on the speaker cone will force the cone in one direction from nominal resting position, though usually won't cause it to open (less than 3W on an 8 ohm spkr).

On multiple spkrs, I do the same thing. I'll usually park the oscillator frequency around 40-50Hz, and put my finger thru the spkr frame opening to feel if each of the speakers are vibrating. Sympathetic resonance normally will NOT feel as strong as a working speaker when multiples are in the cabinet.

Cone tears are another story....but can usually be heard when sweeping the cabinet/spkrs.
        I've got a hp200cd I can manually sweep the freq range on it, which I'm guessing is similar to what your describing.

I just don't want to quote an amp repair with out including the speakers.
        nosaj

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          I've got a hp200cd I can manually sweep the freq range on it, which I'm guessing is similar to what your describing.

I just don't want to quote an amp repair with out including the speakers.
          nosaj

nosaj
          Sounded allright sweeping through audible frequencies no rattle or buzzing ot with speaker. DCR right about 6.1 each speaker.
          Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
          nosaj

Comment

Working...
          X