Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber + Combo Reverb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber + Combo Reverb problem

I recently acquired a Mesa .50 Cal. + Combo. The amp come without a reverb tank.
    Ordered correct new tank with new cables... no reverb .
    Change out AT7 in V4 ... no reverb. I can tap tank and hear faint spring noise, also hum from
    reverb out using the pot.
    Using the schematic here are my voltages V4-1 97v
    V4-3 .88v
    V4-6 214v
    V4-8 1.7v
    Re-touched up all solder joints
    Other than reverb the amp works great.
    Thanks for the help

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...iber-power.pdf
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...ber-preamp.pdf
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Which tank did you get and/or what are input and output impedances? Are you sure you don't have input and output switched?

Comment

MOD 8AB2A1B In 1.3 ohms Out 224 ohms . Yes I switch the in and out cables , thanks

Comment

Not to pick nits, but impedance specs for that tank are input 10 ohms and output 2,575 ohms. At any rate, it should be the right tank.

Comment

sorry misread my meter , the tank does spec out correct ... Can I check the transformer ?

Comment

Your meter will show you resistance. Impedance is a different animal. I doubt you have and open transformer. Most common failure is open primary. If that happens, you wouldn't have voltage on the plate of V4B. You can certainly check that the secondary isn't open. Do you have a scope? If so, start tracing signal.
              Last edited by The Dude; 04-26-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Should I be showing resistance between the reverb in and out at the amp ? thanks

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean positive connection input to positive connection output, you'd get no resistance since one connection only goes to a tube grid.

Comment

Yes that is what I was asking , just trying to determine if the reverb trans is ok ..thanks

Comment

You said you could only hear the springs faintly. With reverb and volumes up, a good thump to the tank should give you a loud crashing sound.
                      If you can't get that, then the problem is in the recovery circuit, not the drive (transformer) side.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Also, a very simple check for the reverb transformer is to take the cable that goes to the 'in' of the tank, and connect it to an 8 ohm speaker. If you get sound, the reverb driver transformer is good.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                          Also, a very simple check for the reverb transformer is to take the cable that goes to the 'in' of the tank, and connect it to an 8 ohm speaker. If you get sound, the reverb driver transformer is good.
                          Not getting any sound ? thanks

Comment

Did you check the transformer secondary for continuity- from the reverb send of the amp to ground?

Comment

Working...
                            X