M-Audio powered speaker turn on problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-Audio powered speaker turn on problem

Have a pair of M-Audio GSR10 powered PA speakers. They refuse to turn on with power switch, but when I ramp them up on the variac they come on normally and work correctly. Any suggestions why?

It is really strange that two devices have the same fault.
    The easiest way is to turn on the device through the variac and to measure the voltages at several points at
    the input of the power source and inside. Then turn it on without variac and see what voltages have changed.
    Analyze and try to find the cause. It may take several attempts. The task is complicated by the fact that the
    type of the power source is SMPSU.

Comment

Many SMPS have a soft start, like a low resistance with a shorting relay. Possible that using the variac fools the soft start circuit.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This SMPSU uses NTC, not shorting relay.

Comment

NTC is another way to do it, yes, but I have rebuilt enough Behringer SMPS with a relay shunting resistors in that function. We don't seem to have a schematic here, so I believe you, but we are limited in the help we can supply.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            NTC is another way to do it, yes, but I have rebuilt enough Behringer SMPS with a relay shunting resistors in that function. We don't seem to have a schematic here, so I believe you, but we are limited in the help we can supply.
            A timing issue? variac bringing it up slowly?

Check to see if there are any part numbers on the board sometimes we can find schematics based on those.

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_133918X.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	805.2 KB
ID:	854051

Comment

I ordered new thermistors used for inrush current limiting hoping that will solve the problem
                Keep ya all posted

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdrums View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]53998[/ATTACH]
                  Does board look similar to this?

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/238...ply-pcb-for-k8
                  nosaj

If so maybe this will help
                  http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkow...Schematics.pdf
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I inserted the wrong pic, here are 2 of the M Audio board:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_135457X.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	854052Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_135445X.jpg
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	854053

Comment

I guess "not using a Variac" does not imply "using a lightbulb limiter instead"
                      Just checking.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hey Juan:
                        You suggested for me to draw a schematic of the Furman Parametric EQ I was working on which I did and posted it.
                        But I did not hear back from you on it. Could you take a look and see what you might comment on ?
                        Thanks

Comment

Well the thermistors don't help. I have noticed a relay in the PS section that engages when I ramp up slowly, and takes about 5 seconds or so to disengage when the power is cut. If I turn the power back on before the relay disengages, the amp comes up fine. So what ever it is has to do with that relay engaging. Why it doesn't engage when the power is just turned on I have no clue. Anyone?

Comment

Are you monitoring the voltage on the relay? A common problem with protection relays is the contacts “carbon up” and become resistive, arc, or stick.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                              Are you monitoring the voltage on the relay? A common problem with protection relays is the contacts “carbon up” and become resistive, arc, or stick.
                              The 12v activating the relay is present only when I ramp the power up somewhat slowly on the variac

Comment

Working...
                              X