Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace Elliot AH1000-12 schematic needed

Hi,

I've bought a Trace Elliot AH1000-12 with one power amp module blown.
    Is there someone that can share its schematic?

I would like to repair it, otherwise to substitute it with two class D power amp modules, keeping the power supply as is. Due to the higher efficiency of class d amps, there will be two paths: keep the same output power and make the power supply's life easier, or increase a bit the possible output power. I'd go for the former, as 1000 W are absolutely more than what I'll never use.

Thank you in advance

I've found this link: https://elektrotanya.com/trace-ellio.../download.html
    But there's not everything. Has someone ever substitued those power amp modules with something different?

Thanks!

Comment

If you do not need the full 1000 watt output power, then why do you not simply run the one amplifier at 500 watts?

I would disconnect any power leads going to the dead module.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trace Elliot AH1000-12.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	637.7 KB
ID:	849368

Edit: have you checked the fuses?

I had one of these a while back with a 'dead' module and the fault turned out to be the Speakon output connector, not the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
        I've bought a Trace Elliot AH1000-12 with one power amp module blown.
        Is there someone that can share its schematic?
        When was yours made?
        Manufacturers keep famous bestselling names but change guts now and then; older ones had Class AB "analog" Lateral MosFet outputs, big heatsinks and heavy power transformers, modern ones use lightweight SMPS and Class D power amps, show your amp guts to be certain.
        Front panel and general cosmetics may be the same.
        I would like to repair it, otherwise to substitute it with two class D power amp modules, keeping the power supply as is. Due to the higher efficiency of class d amps, there will be two paths: keep the same output power and make the power supply's life easier, or increase a bit the possible output power. I'd go for the former, as 1000 W are absolutely more than what I'll never use.
        No, just one path: same power with colder amp.
        Power supply defines output power, the power amp is just the "faucet" which sends more or less of it to the speakers.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Jazz P Bass. I’m sure it’s dead because I bought from a guy who tried to fix it, and almost destroyed that module. I would prefer to find two class d substitutes for those modules instead of running just one module.

Have you ever done something similar?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Thanks J M Fahey,

I have the one with the heavy big thoroidal and the two modules with class AB mosfets.

Comment

Ok, how many MosFets per board?

They use the same circuit in all amps , not their own desigh but a Hitachi MosFet application example, straight from the datasheet, just with various supply voltages and more or less output transistors.

Largest I have ir AH500 , meaning 2 x 250W modules with 4 MosFets each; suspect yours is same but with 6 transistors per module.
              At least similar Ashdown Mag 500 has the same circuit with one module and 6 transistors.
              Nothing new under the Sun.

Check whether this roughly matches what you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TraceElliotAH500Pwr.gif
Views:	1
Size:	587.2 KB
ID:	849375

personally I would repair the dead module, to the extent of cloning its PCB if original is destroyed, go figure.
              It is a very simple and nrobust amplifier, eqasy to service in the future, and you already have all the hardware mounted in the proper place (specially heatsinks).

Worst case go the Class D route, but you will have to mechanically adapt them to fit "inside a suit made for somebody else" and consider them disposable if anything happens.

Or plain pull the dead Class AB module and just use the working 500W one , as suggested above.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi Juan Manuel,

I'll be out for the entire week, I will give you the right answers (and maybe a photo) this weekend.
                I remember six or eight MosFets, but I want to give you a correct answer not to waste your time.

Clone the PCB would a bit over my capabilities, also because alot of components on the power amp are smd.
                I will give you better answers in a few days.

Comment

Ok, I was thinking you might have the earliest ones which used through hole components.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've found a photo of an amp like mine, it's actually the same Jazz P Bass posted few posts ago.
                    Power amp modules are a mix of SMD and hole through.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Some more photos of the broken module (more on the following posts).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Some more will follow
                        Attached Files

Comment

Some more...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Even more...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Last triplet of photos.