Earning my supper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earning my supper

A lot of talk lately about quid pro quo. Well it came home to roost. A friend invited me and the wife over for dinner. We had pizza. This is the guy I have been trying to teach the black arts of repair to. I get there, and he wanted to show off the progress made in renovating the house. Table saw replaced by a dining room table.

And there sitting in front of my chair, instead of a plate, I found... A Peavey Delta Blues chassis. Same as the Classic 30, the folded board set with jumpers. At least he had removed it from the cab and disconnected the reverb pan. I had boasted I could get those apart in a couple minutes, and so..."Prove it."

He was hung up trying to get the boards out. Had all the panel hardware off the jacks and pots, but the boards would not fold tight enough to clear. Um, you have not pulled all the little 4-40 #1 phillips screws. "They have to come out?" Yes. But the main issue was he needed to fish the little board with two jacks and a ribbon cable out from between the boards. That prevents them from folding further. Move them away and it easily collapses to clear the chassis holes. And yes it was done in a couple minutes.

Fortunately we were not going to repair it right then, it was a dinner visit.

But as a bonus, he had also sold my Ampeg B18X, which he had restored for me. I helps a little. And a couple 2x12 old Sovtek cabs with their light gray carpet and 13 ply walls. And a few other things. SO I got a wad of cash in the deal.

So I had to sing for my supper, but came out way ahead in the end.

Lots of shop talk, but in a manner the wives could handle. The wife tells them she asked my for a hammer once, and I asked "What kind?" His wife had a similar story. I had a good half dozen types of hammer in my drawer. SCrewdrivers or pliers? Better have more than just "pliers" when you ask.

A lovely evening was had by all.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

I would prefer that kind of evening as opposed to being invited to a friend's house for a small gathering among friends, only to find out it is a Tupperware party - and I am NOT being fed!!! So hey, you got Food and Cash!! That calls for a double High Five !!

Comment

With my luck we'd have the same scenario but everyone else would eat while I got to fix the amp and there would be no food left by the time I'd finished.

Comment

Sounds like a great evening to me, amps and food ! As you mentioned there was also some reciprocity going on.

What I can't stand are people who always ask for help and never reciprocate. Even though I like workig on amps, computers, and cars, there will come a time when the takers have to pony up at least a little. Doesn't have to be "Even Steven" for me, but you have to show me your not only a taker early on. Takers are bad, but there is an even worse type, that is the people who lack any gratitude for what you did for them. Usually they are Narcissitic jerks who come on nice in the beginning but don't have any concern for others. Those people I quickly flush (as in toilet) out of my life these days, no more with that nonsense, not it this life.

Anyway, don't want to end negative, Good job Enzo. You did the right thing and are a Good friend and a gentleman, and that is indeed something you should be proud of !
        " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

Oh it was all a good thing. Rj is a good friend, does a lot for me. Fixes and sells my gear for one thing. He and his wife join me and mine often for lunch or dinner in town, many times with my former business partner and his wife. We men try not to talk shop TOO much at dinner.

And usually I have to climb my old aching self down his long steep stairs to the shop, and then worse yet, back up later. This night we stayed topside.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X