Ampeg SVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, g1....

bsco, there's no fast way that I've found in dealing with the power tubes on the SVT CL, AV or VR (which is a different animal). The Protect circuit actually will help you in finding the culprit. You can operate the amp with only one pair of power tubes installed at a time. The Bias LED's won't be of service, as their 'window' range is dialed in for a sextet of tubes. I normally have the amp and preamp out of the cabinet, with the power amp chassis standing on one end (using a small block under the power xfmr to keep it upright. I also have replaced the 'garden hose' sleeving that Ampeg installs with Tech Flex, so I can position the preamp instead of the garden hose positioning it how IT wants. In the post g1 gave you above, scroll up to the beginning of that post, and you'll see my test set-up for screening power tubes, in pairs.

I've also made a couple diagrams to assist me when I'm just looking at the back side of the power amp chassis....it shows the location of the six cathode resistors, and the two bias pots, and which tubes they control...I tend to forget in spite doing this all the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SVT-CL Power Amp PCB Parts Location Bias Adj.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	851479 Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Tube PCB Parts Location.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	851480

The first image is viewed from the bottom of the chassis. I normally have my ground lead clipped onto one of the cathode resistors that appear along that bottom edge (amp is sitting on the power xfmr end). The second image is top view of the power tube mtg plate, showing the grouping of the upper and lower halves of the output stage.

Now, if you don't have any spare power tubes, you're kind of out of luck with regards to being able to cobble a working set. But, you may be able to cobble a set out of the best four tubes you have. I"m normally measuring the plate/screen current thru the cathode resistors, and will pre-set the bias voltage so the upper and lower halves are equal. Then, I can see just what each tube is pulling. May have to tweak the bias until you're in the window around 23mA (0.230V across 10 ohms). Even if I don't get close matching in two pairs, I can group what I've measured for the best pair for upper and lower, then with the two bias pots, adjust them for near equal bias total. You can see after setting up the amp with what you do have working, if it will run without tripping the protect circuit. Usually it's just one tube, sometimes two. As I only toss out the known bad tubes, over the years, I've accumulated 6550's and KT-88's from Sovtek, Svetlana, Electro-Harmonix, J/J, Tung Sol and others, so I can often extend the working life of the amp without having to turn around every time I lose one power tube and spend another $250-$300 for a new set. When I do, though, I add to my pile of working 'pulls'

In the thread g1 directed you to, that particular amp had one or two tubes that misbehaved from vibration....and I was able to excite the problem by tapping on the top of the tube powered up. I'd get RED bias LED to turn on with the tapping, and then it fired the Protect circuit, saving damage within. Though, I will always have a look at the power tube PCB when I've had tube failure, just to see what the screen resistors are, and if there's any damage there.

If you haven't already looked thoroughly at all of the solder joints on the power amp PCB, I'd recommend you do so....bright light & magnification to reveal any radial solder fractures....particularly around the bias pot terminals, harness connector headers, feedback header, I/O connector header, ribbon cable header to the power tube PCB. Likewise with the output PCB & AC mains PCB. Solder fractures so often cause grief with these amps, and grow from the shear weight/mass vibrating everything in transit over time.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
      there's no fast way that I've found in dealing with the power tubes on the SVT CL, AV or VR (which is a different animal).
      Boy oh boy is that ever da troof! All the rest too. A big thumbsup on an excellent post Mister Nevets! Now, I think I have a bit of TechFlex around here somewhere... can't wait for my next "modern" SVT to come thru so I can razor off that hideous garden hose tubing & heave it in the bin where it belongs. Too bad all the rest of it is such a PITA, true, how true.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks, g1....

bsco, there's no fast way that I've found in dealing with the power tubes on the SVT CL, AV or VR (which is a different animal). The Protect circuit actually will help you in finding the culprit. You can operate the amp with only one pair of power tubes installed at a time. The Bias LED's won't be of service, as their 'window' range is dialed in for a sextet of tubes. I normally have the amp and preamp out of the cabinet, with the power amp chassis standing on one end (using a small block under the power xfmr to keep it upright. I also have replaced the 'garden hose' sleeving that Ampeg installs with Tech Flex, so I can position the preamp instead of the garden hose positioning it how IT wants. In the post g1 gave you above, scroll up to the beginning of that post, and you'll see my test set-up for screening power tubes, in pairs.

I've also made a couple diagrams to assist me when I'm just looking at the back side of the power amp chassis....it shows the location of the six cathode resistors, and the two bias pots, and which tubes they control...I tend to forget in spite doing this all the time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50243[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]50244[/ATTACH]

The first image is viewed from the bottom of the chassis. I normally have my ground lead clipped onto one of the cathode resistors that appear along that bottom edge (amp is sitting on the power xfmr end). The second image is top view of the power tube mtg plate, showing the grouping of the upper and lower halves of the output stage.

Now, if you don't have any spare power tubes, you're kind of out of luck with regards to being able to cobble a working set. But, you may be able to cobble a set out of the best four tubes you have. I"m normally measuring the plate/screen current thru the cathode resistors, and will pre-set the bias voltage so the upper and lower halves are equal. Then, I can see just what each tube is pulling. May have to tweak the bias until you're in the window around 23mA (0.230V across 10 ohms). Even if I don't get close matching in two pairs, I can group what I've measured for the best pair for upper and lower, then with the two bias pots, adjust them for near equal bias total. You can see after setting up the amp with what you do have working, if it will run without tripping the protect circuit. Usually it's just one tube, sometimes two. As I only toss out the known bad tubes, over the years, I've accumulated 6550's and KT-88's from Sovtek, Svetlana, Electro-Harmonix, J/J, Tung Sol and others, so I can often extend the working life of the amp without having to turn around every time I lose one power tube and spend another $250-$300 for a new set. When I do, though, I add to my pile of working 'pulls'

In the thread g1 directed you to, that particular amp had one or two tubes that misbehaved from vibration....and I was able to excite the problem by tapping on the top of the tube powered up. I'd get RED bias LED to turn on with the tapping, and then it fired the Protect circuit, saving damage within. Though, I will always have a look at the power tube PCB when I've had tube failure, just to see what the screen resistors are, and if there's any damage there.

If you haven't already looked thoroughly at all of the solder joints on the power amp PCB, I'd recommend you do so....bright light & magnification to reveal any radial solder fractures....particularly around the bias pot terminals, harness connector headers, feedback header, I/O connector header, ribbon cable header to the power tube PCB. Likewise with the output PCB & AC mains PCB. Solder fractures so often cause grief with these amps, and grow from the shear weight/mass vibrating everything in transit over time.
        Thank you for the reply.....I removed the plastic garden hose and replaced it with something more flexable...same stuff used in automobiles to cover wiring harnesses.....If I keep the volume low the amp works fine...that is why I am leaning towards a tube issue.....I do have some used 6550's here so I will take it apart and do as you suggested......Thank you for putting up with my questions and in-experience with these beasts...After this is over I will most definately have a better understanding of how this amp works and the various techniques used to troubleshoot it without getting fried.....I'll dig those tubes out and give it a shot....I'll let you know how I make out.....I did go through all the solder connections........at least now it is powering up and is not blowing fuses....
        Cheers

Comment

Ok. I removed all the output tubes and just worked with two.....in locations V2 and V4.....just because they wee side by side.....I set the bias pots to the 12 o'clock position and then measured the voltage drops across the associated resistors.....I left the same tube in the V4 location and used the V2 location for checking the other tubes.....here are the results taken with a digital meter set to 2V scale.....(.135V)......(.163V)......(.137V)......(.137V) ......(.169V).......and the tube that stayed in V4 location was .123V....,.I did notice that when I was testing the different tubes in V2 socket, the bias voltage on the tube in location V4 would vary when the other tubes were inserted in V2 location...I take it that this is normal??? this doesn't seem right ??? anyway I installed all the tubes, set the bias controls until they were green and made voltage checks again.....using a 2V setting, V1 measures .135V, V2 measures .150V, V3 measures .184V.......V4 measures .185V, V5 measures .161V and V6 measures .170V.......they look like they are pretty close between the two sets.....if these are too far off let me know.....

Comment

If you swapped V3 with V4, does the balance get better for V1-3 & V4-6? Your target bias is 230mV (23mA). You will have a spread in both directions about that target voltage. Right now, your average for V1-v3 is 0.156, and for V4-V6 it's 0.172. If it's possible with the older tubes used to cobble this set together, if they're both the same mfgr and different from the other 4 tubes, I'd put one each in the upper and lower set, rather than having the two different tubes in with one, while the other set is all the same. Granted, I don't have hard data to show what this does over time, and if it leads to problems. It just makes good sense in the cobbling procedure.

After getting the set balanced with your average at around 230mV, I let the amp idle for a good half hour or more, and periodically check the results. If all looks good, then cool them down so you can pull them one by one, marking each with a sharpie pen per their new position, and then put the clamps back in, the rest of the hardware securing the power tube plate, and load 'em back in.

I hope you haven't run into any of the power amp chassis' cage nuts popping out. Just like on Marshall amps, once you install the chassis back into the cabinet, cage nuts want to refuse to accept the screws that came from them. All too often, pleading with them and trying to drive them into the threads, the screw will force them out of their square hole, forcing you to pull the chassis again. Dunno why. They ALWAYS THREAD IN FINE when they're out of the cabinet. The new Ampeg amps are horrible....they've been using cheap Chinese hardware, which is NOT tempered spring steel, and they disappear into the chassis out of their holes with the greatest of ease. I've ordered quality M6 cage nuts, and have added 1/4" split lock washers under the screw heads. Tired of SVT's coming back in from tour missing 3 of the 5 chassis mtg screws!

Comment

If you swapped V3 with V4, does the balance get better for V1-3 & V4-6? Your target bias is 230mV (23mA). You will have a spread in both directions about that target voltage. Right now, your average for V1-v3 is 0.156, and for V4-V6 it's 0.172. If it's possible with the older tubes used to cobble this set together, if they're both the same mfgr and different from the other 4 tubes, I'd put one each in the upper and lower set, rather than having the two different tubes in with one, while the other set is all the same. Granted, I don't have hard data to show what this does over time, and if it leads to problems. It just makes good sense in the cobbling procedure.

After getting the set balanced with your average at around 230mV, I let the amp idle for a good half hour or more, and periodically check the results. If all looks good, then cool them down so you can pull them one by one, marking each with a sharpie pen per their new position, and then put the clamps back in, the rest of the hardware securing the power tube plate, and load 'em back in.

I hope you haven't run into any of the power amp chassis' cage nuts popping out. Just like on Marshall amps, once you install the chassis back into the cabinet, cage nuts want to refuse to accept the screws that came from them. All too often, pleading with them and trying to drive them into the threads, the screw will force them out of their square hole, forcing you to pull the chassis again. Dunno why. They ALWAYS THREAD IN FINE when they're out of the cabinet. The new Ampeg amps are horrible....they've been using cheap Chinese hardware, which is NOT tempered spring steel, and they disappear into the chassis out of their holes with the greatest of ease. I've ordered quality M6 cage nuts, and have added 1/4" split lock washers under the screw heads. Tired of SVT's coming back in from tour missing 3 of the 5 chassis mtg screws!
              The tubes that are in the amp are the ones that came with it....I didn't replace any yet..I just tried to move these around so they would be balanced as close as I could get them....I was running a bass guitar through the amp for about a half hour on close to 3/4 volume......both master and gain controls at around 2 o'clock and the rest as 12....
              I guess I can make any of the tubes draw more by adj the bias pots...but I wanted to set them up and leave them there and then see what each tube was drawing.....I will check it out again later tonight and let you know.....So far those cage nuts are ok......but this is a newer amp.....

Comment

Just reading through this again........I take it that you mean 23mV for each tube.....that's 66mV per side....if that is the case, and I have made my measurements right,I have 53.3 mV on one side and 51.6 mV for the other...which means that I have this amp biased a tad on the cold side.......correct me if I am wrong.....and if I am wrong, that means that I need tubes that draw 23mA each in order to get the magic number of 66mV for each side....

Comment

IMO, don't overthink it. If the lights are green, you're good (assuming nothing is still broken). It's OK to be on the cold side as long as the amp sounds good.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    IMO, don't overthink it. If the lights are green, you're good (assuming nothing is still broken). It's OK to be on the cold side as long as the amp sounds good.
                    The amp appears to be working fine...and I did crank the hell out of it to see if there were still issues......and after I rechecked the bias and they read the same as before I cranked the hell out of it....so they didn't drift....I will give it another run tomorrow and if everything is ok, I will give it back to the customer and let him try it for a few days......that will be the ultimate test.....Thanks for the advice......I am after learning quite a lot from this one.....

Comment

From your post of 8/25/18 # 4, you did state that the amp was going into protect after a few minutes when you cranked it up. So, I was under the impression you had or were finding the tubes responsible for that condition. Sounds like it's running ok now. Good work!

Comment

From your post of 8/25/18 # 4, you did state that the amp was going into protect after a few minutes when you cranked it up. So, I was under the impression you had or were finding the tubes responsible for that condition. Sounds like it's running ok now. Good work!
                        Yes it was.....after I moved tubes around for a bit to try to get both sides as close to equal as possible, the amp appears to be working ok......I am going to let it sit on the bench for most of the day and keep checking on it..........if it still works after today, I will return it to the store and have the staff run it for a few hours as another final test before it is air freighted out to the customer......thanks for all your help.....I have learned alot from this one......and I made lots of notes because it could be another year or two before I see one of these again....once again, thank you very much.......
                        Cheers,
                        Bernie

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                          Yes it was.....after I moved tubes around for a bit to try to get both sides as close to equal as possible, the amp appears to be working ok......I am going to let it sit on the bench for most of the day and keep checking on it..........if it still works after today, I will return it to the store and have the staff run it for a few hours as another final test before it is air freighted out to the customer......thanks for all your help.....I have learned alot from this one......and I made lots of notes because it could be another year or two before I see one of these again....once again, thank you very much.......
                          Cheers,
                          Bernie
                          .....before it is Air Freighted out to the customer......ohboy! I hope you made a good pass all thru this amp when you had the power amp chassis out of the cabinet. The sheer weight/mass of the power and output transformers love to loosen their mounting screws. Two of the screws for the O/T are UNDERNEATH the main PCB. The AC mains PCB hides two of the four screws for the Pwr Xfmr, the output PCB hides one more screw for the O/T. So, you do have direct access to three of the eight screws. The three screws that thread into the tall standoffs at the front side of the chassis....the standoffs like to loosen over time. The one on the O/T side is the GROUNDING screw for the main PCB to chassis. When it's loose, you get hum. I've been noticing the core bolts on the Pwr & output xfmrs have been leaving the factory loose. Usually a PITA to attempt to tighten, as they are gooped heavily with varnish. And, not so difficult to snap either...never have broken one, but, when I find one or both shifting on me after tightening everything up, I'll tackle them.

From all of the broken 6550's and KT88's associated with the SVT-CL's and cousins, I've ended up adding hi temp silicon rubber sleeving onto the hold-down clamp 'had', particularly on the spring/clamp joints, as they like to dig into the glass and gouge until creating a crack. I add sleeving to the 'wings' of the clamp hat just to keep them stable...usually added to KT-88's where the top of the tube is smaller in dia.

Some photos.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grommet Installed-5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	851500 Click image for larger version

Name:	Slitting-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	851501 Click image for larger version

Name:	Install Grommet-2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	851502 Click image for larger version

Name:	Grommet Installed-3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	851503 Click image for larger version

Name:	6550 Tube Crack from spring-clamp joint-1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	851504

Maybe all this is overkill, but, I haven't had any tubes break since I've retrofitted all of our rental amps and other client's amps with the same provisions. Oh, I get tube failures, but not from the hold-down clamps inflicting harm. Just a thought. McMaster-Carr is my local source for the tubing...the one that fits into the top of the clamp is 3/32" id/7/32" OD, the clamp/spring tubing is 3/16" id/ 5/16" OD.

Comment

.....before it is Air Freighted out to the customer......ohboy! I hope you made a good pass all thru this amp when you had the power amp chassis out of the cabinet. The sheer weight/mass of the power and output transformers love to loosen their mounting screws. Two of the screws for the O/T are UNDERNEATH the main PCB. The AC mains PCB hides two of the four screws for the Pwr Xfmr, the output PCB hides one more screw for the O/T. So, you do have direct access to three of the eight screws. The three screws that thread into the tall standoffs at the front side of the chassis....the standoffs like to loosen over time. The one on the O/T side is the GROUNDING screw for the main PCB to chassis. When it's loose, you get hum. I've been noticing the core bolts on the Pwr & output xfmrs have been leaving the factory loose. Usually a PITA to attempt to tighten, as they are gooped heavily with varnish. And, not so difficult to snap either...never have broken one, but, when I find one or both shifting on me after tightening everything up, I'll tackle them.

From all of the broken 6550's and KT88's associated with the SVT-CL's and cousins, I've ended up adding hi temp silicon rubber sleeving onto the hold-down clamp 'had', particularly on the spring/clamp joints, as they like to dig into the glass and gouge until creating a crack. I add sleeving to the 'wings' of the clamp hat just to keep them stable...usually added to KT-88's where the top of the tube is smaller in dia.

Some photos.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50290[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]50291[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]50292[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]50293[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]50294[/ATTACH]

Maybe all this is overkill, but, I haven't had any tubes break since I've retrofitted all of our rental amps and other client's amps with the same provisions. Oh, I get tube failures, but not from the hold-down clamps inflicting harm. Just a thought. McMaster-Carr is my local source for the tubing...the one that fits into the top of the clamp is 3/32" id/7/32" OD, the clamp/spring tubing is 3/16" id/ 5/16" OD.
                            Yes sir......I checked everything that was suggested.....this amp has the clamp rings at the bottom of the base...it does not have the spring loaded metal hold-down clamps...I can see them causing the glass to break......All connectors, tube sockets, pots, jacks, high wattage resistors, filter caps, etc were checked and re-soldered.......connectors were checked to make sure that when inserted into their mating connector, they fit nice and tight........I still have the amp here and I was going to give it one more visual inspection before I install it in it's cabinet...funny you mentioned about those bottom screws.....When I received this two of the 5 screws were in the bottom of the shipping container.....I am going to pick up some split-washers for those screws and I will go though all the screws once more before I return it to the store......I will have to talk to the guy in shipping to make sure it is packed up extremely well as it has to go out by air.......this is one of these things that I don't like....air freighting something that has this kind of weight.......thank you very much sir for all your help....and to all the other members here who helped me out.......it is much appreciated.......
                            Cheers

Comment

Ah....good deal! I haven't had any issues with the base clamps, though when I put them back on (after having them out of the way during tube matching), I reverse the back row of clamps so you can release them, viewed from the rear of the amp. I've never seen Ampeg's shipping box, so not sure what they've done in their box design. Hope there's intelligence in the shipping dept, as the airline's freight handlers will view it as an assault on their ability and do what?

Cheers,

Steven

Comment

Ah....good deal! I haven't had any issues with the base clamps, though when I put them back on (after having them out of the way during tube matching), I reverse the back row of clamps so you can release them, viewed from the rear of the amp. I've never seen Ampeg's shipping box, so not sure what they've done in their box design. Hope there's intelligence in the shipping dept, as the airline's freight handlers will view it as an assault on their ability and do what?

Cheers,

Steven
                                Actually, the base clamps on all these tubes are facing the rear of the cabinet.....if it wasn't done at the factory, then somebody did it before it came to me......

Comment

Working...
                                X