Gibson HB-L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
    Geeze am I ever stupid some days! The original bobbins were wound CW not CCW, which means the polarity was correct with the slug side south and the hot lead as the slug winding start and the ground as the screw side start.

Geeze am I ever stupid some days. . .
    Polarity is relative to a second pickup. There is no correct polarity. It just depends on if it matches another pickup. If it doesn't you can just as correctly say the other pickup is reversed.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Polarity is relative to a second pickup. There is no correct polarity. It just depends on if it matches another pickup. If it doesn't you can just as correctly say the other pickup is reversed.
      Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, this was a double handoff. The pickup had not been in the '89 LP for years because of being dead. It had been taken to another luthier years back, but he couldn't repair it. The owner took the pickup to his current luthier, then that luthier brought it to me, so I didn't have the opportunity to see the guitar (or neck p/u) to determine the polarity of the mate. That would have made it too easy!

This luthier is a very young and talented guy, but not interested in doing pickups, either repair or winding. Of course that may change with all the extra time he has on his hands in 5 months when he takes deliver of the Plek Machine he has on order. Apparently it will be only the second Plek in Canada and the first in Canada in a luthier's shop. I can't wait to see that unit in action!
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

Hi,
        I’m sorry to unearth this post but the thing is I have the same problem.
        I just bought two pair of « the original » Gibson pickups by bill Lawrence. 2 chrome and 2 gold.
        As far as the two HB-Ls are concerned, the chrome one shows a nice 14 Ohms impedance when the golden one shows less than 10 Ohms.
        Any idea if it’s normal, or if that could be fixed?
        I need a gold covered one to put on a 1980 Les Paul Custom...

Comment

Originally posted by Exhorter69 View Post
          Hi,
          I just bought two pair of « the original » Gibson pickups by bill Lawrence. 2 chrome and 2 gold.
          As far as the two HB-Ls are concerned, the chrome one shows a nice 14 Ohms impedance when the golden one shows less than 10 Ohms.
          10 & 14 ohms, or 10k & 14k ohms?
          Also can you post a picture of front and rear?
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Must be k Ohms

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              10 & 14 ohms, or 10k & 14k ohms?
              Also can you post a picture of front and rear?
              Difficult to post picture!

Comment

Originally posted by Exhorter69 View Post
                Hi,
                By what I read the HB-L is a lead pickup and the HB-R would be a Rhythm pickup.
                The 14k is probably 43 awg wire,
                Not sure on the 10k, if it is a HB-R then it would probably 10k of 43.
                If it is a HB-L probably full coils of 42.
                All just a guess.
                GL,
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Ha a Set of those in for rewind. I used 42 and wound the neck to paf and the bridge to Hot VH PAF style. They sounded good after all. I always replace the bobbins on those because that Lawrence Abs always cracks...

Comment

Working...
                  X