No announcement yet.

Something Different in a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teee, your grandson is a lucky kid! You are awesome for supporting him!

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
      Teee, your grandson is a lucky kid! You are awesome for supporting him!
      He's a fun kid.
      He's 19 majoring in music/business in college, and electric guitar is his main instrument.
      He's really getting good. At least I think so.
      Wants to wind up in music business production, of some kind in Nashville.
      Be a session player, or whatever.
      He performs all he can, both acoustic, and electric.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

May give some of the very low inductance Lace Alumitones a try?
        Alumitones are neither low inductance nor low impedance by principle. Production models show high inductance/impedance. Their measured frequency response reveals no benefit over traditional PUs.
        Furthermore, the flux density measurements (1400G IIRC) at the pole surface indicate more string pull than any traditional strat PU.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Alumitones are neither low inductance nor low impedance by principle. Production models show high inductance/impedance. Their measured frequency response reveals no benefit over traditional PUs.
          Furthermore, the flux density measurements (1400G IIRC) at the pole surface indicate more string pull than any traditional strat PU.
          Thank you for that.
          I missed the alumitone recommendation.(I only scanned the post)
          As I mentioned in the OP, I make traditional pickups.
          I don't use anyone's pickups but my own.
          I rewind others, but to my own specs.
          So that limits what I'm wanting to do.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

How about 2 pairs of (low wind) strat type PUs arranged side by side in HB configuration (one of each RWRP) for bridge and neck and maybe another SC for the middle position. Preferably with alnico 2 (or 3) magnets for less string pull. This should give a vast variety of wiring options.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-07-2018, 09:28 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The "Humbucker" is listed as 1.4H, but I forgot they have a Ceramic magnet right on the surface. I think I confused them with the Sensors...my bad.

An HSH possibility following in the "blade" theme would be a Wilde L500R, or a 4H 0r 2.8H L90 in the bridge with an L45S in middle and a L500C or a 2.8H or 2H L90 in the neck. 250k pots is good with either setup. It would really be better balanced with another L45S in the neck, but the middle L45S could be raised up high without as much string pull as an AlNiCo poled. The L45S has very strong fundamental response with a sweet high end that could easily pass for a low inductance HB with the tone knob down a bit. They are all AlNiCo 5 powered -- the L90 having the strongest magnetic power of the three with more fundamental strength than the L500 (mini HB). The Stainless blades them relatively low string pull without the high end loss of Fe Steel. Cheaper than other "boutique" pickups as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluoroscope 5000 View Post
                The "Humbucker" is listed as 1.4H, but I forgot they have a Ceramic magnet right on the surface. I think I confused them with the Sensors...my bad.

An HSH possibility following in the "blade" theme would be a Wilde L500R, or a 4H 0r 2.8H L90 in the bridge with an L45S in middle and a L500C or a 2.8H or 2H L90 in the neck. 250k pots is good with either setup. It would really be better balanced with another L45S in the neck, but the middle L45S could be raised up high without as much string pull as an AlNiCo poled. The L45S has very strong fundamental response with a sweet high end that could easily pass for a low inductance HB with the tone knob down a bit. They are all AlNiCo 5 powered -- the L90 having the strongest magnetic power of the three with more fundamental strength than the L500 (mini HB). The Stainless blades them relatively low string pull without the high end loss of Fe Steel. Cheaper than other "boutique" pickups as well.
                I make my own boutique pickups.
                If I didn't emphasize that, I apologize!
                I don't know what all the L numbers you list are?
                Like I said, I don't buy pickups, I make pickups, and work on guitars some.
                This thread was intended to see if anyone had any experience with a 3 humbucker strat.
                Was trying to figure out what to make and put in the big head squier!
                Thanks,
                T
                Terry

Comment

Maybe something to consider (or not): A few times a played a 3 HB SG. I never felt comfortable because the middle HB got in the way of my pick and every now and then I hit the PU. For me the middle HB would need to be set really deep.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Maybe something to consider (or not): A few times a played a 3 HB SG. I never felt comfortable because the middle HB got in the way of my pick and every now and then I hit the PU. For me the middle HB would need to be set really deep.
                    I agree.
                    That is why I was leaning toward a SC sized medium wound rail, in the middle.
                    Don't know if that would help and give more playing room or not?
                    **Another thing I thought about trying, is A8 magnets in neck and bridge.
                    That would allow a lower mount.
                    I've made some A8-buckers, that sounded quiet good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-11-08 08-47-02.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	852030
                    Last edited by big_teee; 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

Definitely yes. If you have a HSH pickguard you could mount some generic HSH PUs (no wiring) and let your grandson test acoustically.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

W/kill button

Another thing I plan on doing on this PG?
                        The three Pot holes, would be
                        Volume
                        Kill button
                        Tone
                        Since he hardly uses the tone pot, put it on the back.
                        This is the guitar that I will put the PG on.
                        I keep it at my house, and he plays it when he's here.
                        I can't play it, all my stuff is left handed.
                        Not sure if this is the PG on it right now?
                        It now has a mint green PG, with my 4/2 Single coils.
                        4/A3s 2/A5s on A & E.
                        Sounds heavenly, but ready to throw it in the pile, and build up the bucker Guard!
                        Attached Files
                        Terry

Comment

Robbie Robertson used a Strat with the middle pickup moved over against the bridge pickup. As he tells it, this was because he felt the middle pickup tended to get in the way of his picking. I've never heard anything about whether the switching or wiring was different, though.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	J48589000001000-00-500x500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	852033

Comment

I'm no Robbie Robertson, but I have used a 'superswitch' with a HSH strat to get different combinations of series or parallel coils. 4-wire HBs give good flexibility. The only thing I can contribute to the thread is to say there will always be more pickup combinations possible than any reasonable switching system will allow. The combinations that you or your grandson prefer, well, only you will know. It is fun trying different combinations
                            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Another thing I plan on doing on this PG?
                              The three Pot holes, would be
                              Volume
                              Kill button
                              Tone
                              Since he hardly uses the tone pot, put it on the back.
                              This is the guitar that I will put the PG on.
                              I keep it at my house, and he plays it when he's here.
                              I can't play it, all my stuff is left handed.
                              Not sure if this is the PG on it right now?
                              It now has a mint green PG, with my 4/2 Single coils.
                              4/A3s 2/A5s on A & E.
                              Sounds heavenly, but ready to throw it in the pile, and build up the bucker Guard!
                              You already have a blower switch?
                              https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...-blower-switch
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                                I agree.
                                That is why I was leaning toward a SC sized medium wound rail, in the middle.
                                **Another thing I thought about trying, is A8 magnets in neck and bridge.
                                That would allow a lower mount.
                                I've made some A8-buckers, that sounded quiet good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51035[/ATTACH]
                                I generally pick right in front of the middle SC, so I'd guess it allows more room than an HB. If anything, I'd think you'd then want weaker magnets in the bridge and especially neck HB as not to overpower the middle SC rail? There's a type of more powerful AlNiCo II used by DiMarzio that might be available to all now. Maybe try that in the full sized HB rails and AlNiCo V in the middle rail. I think AlNiCO 8 might saturate the Stainless rails, which may increase eddy-currents that dull the high end. That's what I've heard anyway. Maybe that's why pickups that use it sound more bassy? Maybe just use it in the bridge rail if you want more power there? S0 8, 5 and the new 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X