Another way to strip tolex off a newer cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another way to strip tolex off a newer cabinet

I was given a princeton 650 chassis/cab. It's been sitting in the shed for a while next to a couple of other 70's cabinets, right butt up against them.
    I'd been hearing noises in my shed from time to time an thought I might have a rat in my shed. Well today working on the truck,(from time to time I will leave to door open) I noticed some squirrels near the entrance an thought nothing of it. Later on I went to try out a Peavey xr500 I got for 25. I hooked it up to my carvin cabinet an noticed this right next to it.
    They didn't touch anything but the tolex.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190323_172749-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	874468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190323_172800-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	874469

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Isn't Tolex a brand name for a vinyl product, and, if I'm not mistaken, Vinyl has it's origin from petroleum and other materials to come up with miracle man-made products for a better world? What is it in these products that so entices rodents to indulge their appetites, chewing/eating wire insulation, Tolex covering, etc. I'd imagine similar happenings in auto junk yards, where car seats and front/rear bumpers/fender panels and such would make good eating for the little critters. Very odd.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Well the job still needs to be finished up. Maybe if you asked the squirrels nicely? Offer them nuts. Squirrels love nuts.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Well the job still needs to be finished up. Maybe if you asked the squirrels nicely? Offer them nuts. Squirrels love nuts.
        I left it outside so we will see if they do or not. I really hope it was tree rats and not real rats. I don't really relish the idea of using poison in my workspace as one might die and leave a wonderful odor. Maybe if you give me the Peanut Juan gifted you

nosaj

Comment

If the tolex was put on with hide glue I could see that being enticing to a rodent, but I don't know if people still use hide glue to apply tolex.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
            If the tolex was put on with hide glue I could see that being enticing to a rodent, but I don't know if people still use hide glue to apply tolex.
            Not likely on a Fender solidstate amp. They were so clean taking it off they didn't even really damage the particle board cabinet.

nosaj

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
              I don't really relish the idea of using poison in my workspace as one might die and leave a wonderful odor.
              The cleanup is more unpleasant, but I recommend traps. I've had critters die in a crowded garage and that is just an awful experience. With traps you won't have to dig through all your stuff (some of it heavy and/or stacked precariously) to find the smelly dead thing. I actually did better using cream cheese for bait than peanut butter. Even though peanut butter is the popular choice.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                The cleanup is more unpleasant, but I recommend traps. I've had critters die in a crowded garage and that is just an awful experience. With traps you won't have to dig through all your stuff (some of it heavy and/or stacked precariously) to find the smelly dead thing. I actually did better using cream cheese for bait than peanut butter. Even though peanut butter is the popular choice.
                Wonder if I can turn the fender cab into a trap?
                nosaj

Comment

Soy based tolex or glue most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                    Soy based tolex or glue most likely.
                    Wonder why the soybean fields here don't have that much of a problem if rodents like soy so much.

nosaj

Comment

Wonder why the soybean fields here don't have that much of a problem if rodents like soy so much.

nosaj
                      Those rodents all croak immediately when the Roundup is sprayed on. Comforting thought innit?
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                        Those rodents all croak immediately when the Roundup is sprayed on. Comforting thought innit?
                        So i should spray Roundup around the shed?

Here's a conspiracy theory for ya, What kind of people use roundup?

nosaj

Comment

Hot hide glue is still being used, nothing beats it in hot roller applicator machines, the most famous one being Potdevin brand.
                          Check the Mesa Tolexing video, you can have a 4 x 12" covered in 5 (yes, five, not a typo) minutes.

The same Potdevin machines are used by USPS to apply lickable glue to Post stamps.

And itīs Ecologic no solvents biodegradable stuff, cheap to boot, whatīs not to like?

So I can very well rodents smelling/tasting it and wanting more.

Same as insects love stamp glue.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

What kind of people use roundup?
                            Squares? Or people who yell 'yippie ay yo kai yay'? Folks who don't have the correct change? OK, what? Inquiring minds want to know...

And Juan, I can't be sure about ALL of them, but US Postal service has been issuing self stick stamps for 15+ years now. At least all the ones I've run into. No need to lick 'n stick any more. Maybe the vegans got on their case, they would refuse to lick hide glue stamps, that's for sure.
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I had rats eat the wiring out of 3 cars over the past few years. Had to hire a service to put bait boxes all over the property. And the rodents attracted rattle snakes. Nearly stepped on one getting out of a car. I sold the place...

Comment

Working...
                              X