Weber 5G15 kit build - my 2nd build ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber 5G15 kit build - my 2nd build ever

Follow along please. I'll probably have questions. I'll certainly have pics.

I'm a big fan of super drip super surfy reverb. The Fender 6G15 is the key. I want to build my own*, so away we go.

* I'm a hobbyist builder/tinkerer. I've built only one complete amp in my life, and it works great, and I have modded/maintained/repaired/restored several others. I might barely be more advanced than a novice, but I'm not totally lost all the time.

Anyway, the Weber 5G15 kit. Some of the parts are pretty corny. They'll work, but they obviously could be better. I'm pretty much staying with what it comes with. It's simple enough that I feel like I could just try it as-is and see how it goes. I can replace stuff later if need be. I've got a few upgrades laying around from other projects, so I'll use them, but I'm not replacing too much that doesn't need to be replaced.

I did order a MOD 4AB3C1C reverb tank. It hangs vertical, like the originals are supposed to. The kit comes with a 7th digit "B" Accuntronics tank...which means it's supposed to be used horizontal, open side down. I'd use it if it actually fit that way in the little cabinet! It would require a few little notches cut into the mounting flange. Not a big deal, but I'll just save it for something else and get a more "correct" tank. 23 bucks. No big deal. The cabinet does have studs installed that are meant for a vertical hanging reverb tank.

Anyway, here's some pics of where it's at so far...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looks good. Are you actually going to play some licks for us?

Comment

Originally posted by minim View Post
              Looks good. Are you actually going to play some licks for us?
              Sure, if you want. Last time I posted audio clips I think maybe one person listened to it.

I'll get something recorded tomorrow.

In the meantime, it's done!

Very drippy and slappy and lush thick spring reverb. Very organic. I love it. Tonally I'm seeing no reason to tweak anything so far. First impressions are good. We'll see how the durability goes. It's still early.

Comment

Well I'll definitely listen. You don't have to play like Eric Johnson or anything.

I love the sound of the Fender reverb. I have this kit on my 'definitely will build at some point before I die' list.

Comment

Well I'll definitely listen. You don't have to play like Eric Johnson or anything.

I love the sound of the Fender reverb. I have this kit on my 'definitely will build at some point before I die' list.
                  Cool man. I'll do some sound clips tomorrow.

Comment

Nice neat and tidy build and great pics!
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Nice neat and tidy build and great pics!
                      Thanks a lot! I'm learning as I go. It helps a lot to keep things neat and organized. Looking nice is a side bonus.

I did my own color-coding, and it helped tremendously with tube socket and potentiometer hookups.
                      Red wires - high voltage and plate wires.
                      Blue wires - grids
                      Yellow wires - cathodes
                      Black wires - grounds.
                      White wires - potentiometer lugs.

So far, it's passed the powering up tests, voltage tests, and first tone test wonderfully!

Comment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ko...1uRWP21BTKZEi0

Here's a quick directionless sound test of the reverb unit, just going through various control settings.

Guitar - 1965 Mosrite Ventures MkI
                        Reverb - Weber 5G15 kit build
                        Amp - Deluxe Reverb AB763 kit build - Normal Channel
                        Cab - Marshall 4x12 - Celestion Vintage 30s
                        Mic - AT4047, slightly off center, about 6" off grill.
                        No EQ or FX in DAW

Comment

Sounds friggin good man, some authentic splishy-splashy going on there. I guess it helps having the real-deal guitar

You must have had the mix cranked right up around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark?

Comment

Sounds friggin good man, some authentic splishy-splashy going on there. I guess it helps having the real-deal guitar

You must have had the mix cranked right up around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark?
                            Ha yeah, it doesn't hurt having the perfect surf guitar for surf guitar tones.

I probably got the mix up somewhere around 6-7 for the wildest parts. I really just fiddled around. I'm loving the drippy drip surf reverb sound. I didn't detect any weirdness or oscillation noise, and the slight hum is more due to the guitar - these pickups are crazy hot single coils and a little microphonic - so I'm pretty stoked with the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_L View Post
                              Ha yeah, it doesn't hurt having the perfect surf guitar for surf guitar tones.

I probably got the mix up somewhere around 6-7 for the wildest parts. I really just fiddled around. I'm loving the drippy drip surf reverb sound. I didn't detect any weirdness or oscillation noise, and the slight hum is more due to the guitar - these pickups are crazy hot single coils and a little microphonic - so I'm pretty stoked with the whole thing.
                              It turned out really well.

I'm definitely inspired. I've owned two Deluxe Reverbs neither of which I should have sold. Once I sell a couple of things I'm going to find me a keeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X