Silent single coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Possum View Post
    Here is a set of real PAFs, you think these are muddy and dull?
    Yes. They have high mids but not near as much treble as a strat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cduarIbcrsE"]YouTube- Manuel Bastian and a 1959 Fender Stratocaster[/ame]

Comment

Nobody said they did, but people make those mistakes in listening to PAFs. Peter Green's "Albatross" I've been told by some people was recorded on his Les Paul. It was a strat, its very hard to tell which is which....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

If you listen to this video with your eyes closed, you'd probably swear these guys are playing teles, I LOVE this group, they later did move to Fender guitars:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FALutagdHNw"]YouTube- The Tielman Brothers - Black Eyes (live 1960)[/ame]
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Nobody said they did, but people make those mistakes in listening to PAFs. Peter Green's "Albatross" I've been told by some people was recorded on his Les Paul. It was a strat, its very hard to tell which is which....
          According to Don Brown (world's largest collection of Peter Green recordings), Green said he played both guitars on that song, which is how it sounds to me too.

Comment

If you listen to this video with your eyes closed, you'd probably swear these guys are playing teles, I LOVE this group, they later did move to Fender guitars:

YouTube- The Tielman Brothers - Black Eyes (live 1960)
            I would have guessed Gretsches, but yes, they sound quite bright in that one. Kinda like Duane Eddy. Not Fender sc bright though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vihar View Post
              According to Don Brown (world's largest collection of Peter Green recordings), Green said he played both guitars on that song, which is how it sounds to me too.
              The main melody was a strat, the unison bends was the les paul.

Comment

Look where they are picking. That explains the treble sound, but Fender SC pickups do not sound like that when you pick there.

Comment

Hello everyone , my first test on the homemade version of the bpssc is working,
                  i even found room in the regular strat control cavity to lodge it !

I will post picture soon , with sound sample .

Comment

Originally posted by jbforrer View Post
                    Hi,

Thought I'd revisit the split-coiled, RWRP version of the SC (Newman?) and see for myself. Attached is a picture of my build.

The windings are made with #42 SPN with a combined DCR=6K, L=2H, Fr=10KHz. This one was made with a StewMac kit cut in half and each section wound separately, then later re-assembled. Takes me about the best of an evening to fabricate one pickup as its somewhat labor-intensive and also needs working under magnification.

Getting the magnets charged to correct levels was tricky, especially the G/D pair, but I sorted that out eventually.

Sure, there is a some artifacts when doing heavy bends over the G/D poles, but thats not my playing style and is a non issue for me. These pickups sound great like my vintage sets and are absolutely quiet --- I can sit in front of my computer CRT with the guitar 12" away and, only when turned in a specific orientation to induce an overload of radiation, will one hear a tiny bit of buzz. In that position my regular SC pickups are unbearable.

Trust this is of interest.

Regards.

JB.
                    Without any bends, is there any hint of cancellations?
                    How much bending can it take before something comes up?

Comment

• Hi Amit,

Hopefully I'm not overlooking some design/construction flaw that I introduced, but not overly enthusiastic about the results.

If you're a shred-zone player, it does not take much to push the G/D strings in between the G/D pole zones at the neck pickup and experience a dropout. This is a serious issue with the Alnico rod version. There also are weird cancellation/phasing effects associated with the G/D poles, particularly noticeable at the neck pickup but also a bit at the middle pickup. This effect is a show stopper on bright-wooded solid-body guitars -- lesser on hollow-bodies.

JBF.

Comment

• Originally posted by jbforrer View Post
                        Hi Amit,

Hopefully I'm not overlooking some design/construction flaw that I introduced, but not overly enthusiastic about the results.

If you're a shred-zone player, it does not take much to push the G/D strings in between the G/D pole zones at the neck pickup and experience a dropout. This is a serious issue with the Alnico rod version. There also are weird cancellation/phasing effects associated with the G/D poles, particularly noticeable at the neck pickup but also a bit at the middle pickup. This effect is a show stopper on bright-wooded solid-body guitars -- lesser on hollow-bodies.

JBF.
                        Most times for clean playing there isn't much need, in my view, for "single coil" humbucking, so yea, i'm talking about blues and rock bends
                        It's still not clear to me what is the situation without any bands at all (at the neck pickup)?
                        My thinking is that if WITHOUT bends there are NO dropouts (with the alnico version)... then maybe a 2-4 split (A/D) will do the trick
                        I don't know anyone who bends the D upwards
                        Though I can go downwards waco on the A when the mood strikes

It of course won't be a 100% humbucker, but who cares, even an 80% drop in hum will be great if it will still beat ay other stacked for "natural single coil" sound. that way the purists will still have a bit of hum "spice" to enjoy

Btw, how the "single coil size" sidewinders with laminated blade you showed on another thread came out?

Cheers mate

Comment

• Hello Amid,

I find that even without bends, say just picking notes on the D string, one can hear a slight drop in output for the D string. This is not the case with the regular SC pickup installed. Otherwise, the split pickup sounds great, much like a vintage SC and very quiet.

Your 2-4 split idea may be worth trying.

The sidewinder blade pickups turned out nice. An interesting mid-range response, especially noticeable at the bridge --- somewhat reminiscent of a Tele's bridge pickup tone. The neck and middle sound much like vintage Strat pickups. Mine have slightly less output than similar-wound single coils. Of course, they are quiet.. Here's a picture of the installed set of sidewinders on my test guitar.

Regards.

JBF.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Hi some pictures ... better late then never ..

Mark
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I'm a little late to the party, but I just ordered the back plate noise cancelling system from Ilitch. I bought the vintage system which has the coil wound to match the low impedance SC pickups that I got from Mr. Possum a few years ago - his Texas fifty nine set. The guitar is a made in Japan, E-model Squier Strat that I bought new in 1987. I'll give you my opinion once the BPNCS is installed.

Comment

• Originally posted by mk1 View Post
                                Hi some pictures ... better late then never ..

Mark
                                Clever way to wind the coil.

Comment

Working...
                                X