Perfect results. A real problem solver.

And yes, it's expensive.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Oh, that's a handy tool!
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Looks great!....

.... but $160.00 CAD... Yikes!
      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

I'm thinkin' maybe the diamond coated abrasive sides have something to do with the price.

Comment

Payed 92€ during a discount slot. But of course international shipping and import tax add. Still don't regret a single cent.

It can save a lot of time. It's a no skill, no risk tool. You just need some fret rockers (2 or 3 short straight edges that cover 3 frets) to identify high spots and some means to recrown and polish the fret (I use a grooved fret dressing/sanding stick).
          Just beware of using really low frets as a reference. Those are better replaced and "kissed" down.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-11-2019, 12:17 AM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Fret Rocker at Stew Mack

Fret Rocker at Amplified Parts

Comment

The Stew Mack part will actually file the frets. The Amplified Parts piece is only for finding uneven frets. It doesn't have the diamond sanding part. All this, at least, as far as I can tell.

Comment

The Dude.... you are correct. The Rockers have no filing capabilities. But for those who merely want a cheap tool for a quick check, the Fret Rocker will do that.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention: The "Fret Kisser" allows high spot levelling without removing the strings. This is not only convenient but levelling under string tension also gives more precise results.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Pricey to be sure. But I don't know how many times when I am running live sound the talent suddenly realizes much to his chagrin that god has visited his guitar with a fret buzz that will totally , totally ruin his performance. Ordered one today.

Comment

I fully believe it works, and well. It's a terrific design, BUT... Since these are probably made overseas I would watch out for anomalous alignments of the active planes once they start to move and someone decides they want to make a higher profit. JM2C on the nature of things. As simple a design as it is, and at that price I would expect precision. Another BUT... All things wear. You can't expect the abrasive element to last too damn long at thousandths of an inch accuracy. Especially in this time of SS and EVO gold frets. And replacing an expensive tool too often becomes a detriment. Just thinking out loud.

Also thinking out loud... How is re-crowning achieved with the strings on? Or is this tool used for eliminating anomalies and then strings are removed for recrowning and final polish? And is the intended accuracy not lost beyond what one can do with a file at that point?

It really looks cool and I honestly admire the design. I'm just playing devils advocate.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        I fully believe it works, and well. It's a terrific design, BUT... Since these are probably made overseas I would watch out for anomalous alignments of the active planes once they start to move and someone decides they want to make a higher profit. JM2C on the nature of things. As simple a design as it is, and at that price I would expect precision. Another BUT... All things wear. You can't expect the abrasive element to last too damn long at thousandths of an inch accuracy. Especially in this time of SS and EVO gold frets. And replacing an expensive tool too often becomes a detriment. Just thinking out loud.

Also thinking out loud... How is re-crowning achieved with the strings on? Or is this tool used for eliminating anomalies and then strings are removed for recrowning and final polish? And is the intended accuracy not lost beyond what one can do with a file at that point?

It really looks cool and I honestly admire the design. I'm just playing devils advocate.
                        Cause you just push the string over to file it. Not unlike a string bending manuever....

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

cool...industrial diamonds are CHEAP, but $130 isn't too bad if it lasts a lifetime
                          0.15% of the price of a PLEK!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            Yes, you would need to take of (or loosen) the strings to recrown and polish the fret.

Also, the problem is not always a high fret, but can also be a low fret (you can't tell just by spanning 3 frets to check any rocking), in which case using this tool will make the problem even worse...
                            http://guitarfix.dk

Comment

Also, the problem is not always a high fret, but can also be a low fret (you can't tell just by spanning 3 frets to check any rocking), in which case using this tool will make the problem even worse...
                              It's not the appropriate tool for low frets (but it wouldn't really make the problem worse). It is generally not suited to cure fret wear issues. High frets are most commonly found on new (even plekked) instruments.

you can't tell just by spanning 3 frets to check any rocking
                              But you can and should identify low frets with the rockers by checking also neighboring fret triplets - or check for hairline gaps using straightedges of different lengths and backlighting.

The tool helps me to save a lot of time and work. It only takes off fret material where needed, while a complete fret dressing bears the risk of unneccesarily lowering too many frets - especially when done without string tension/simulation. (And I hate too low frets.)
                              As said it's easy and fast and gives perfect results if used properly. I have the tools and experience to verify.
                              Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-09-2019, 06:29 PM.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X