Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String dampening with .780" X .25" Alnico rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String dampening with .780" X .25" Alnico rods?

Has anyone else used .780" X .25" Alnico rods in their pickups?

If so, did you notice any issues with string dampening (you know, when the mags pull too hard on the strings and you get that warbling effect)?

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post

If so, did you notice any issues with string dampening (you know, when the mags pull too hard on the strings and you get that warbling effect)?
    Chris,

This effect is more noticeable on the neck pickup because the string vibrates more toward the center of the string and a strong magnetic field will have more leverage in the neck position than in the bridge position.

Here is an experiment you can do that will be very educational. Assuming that the string width at the neck position is 1.875 inches wide. Mount 7 0.25 inch diameter magnets such that each string is located in the middle space between magnets and the pull should be less but may also have a different harmonic structure as any horizontal movement will induce a voltage each time it passes the magnetic field side to side. This should emphasize a higher harmonic component.

Tinkering is very educational and sometimes provides some unplanned results.

I hope this helps.

Joseph J. Rogowski
    Last edited by bbsailor; 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM. Reason: fixed error

Comment

I measured the Gauss at the top of SSL-4 pole pieces, the gauss reading ranged from 600G to 1000G depending on the pole piece. Allegedly they're AlNiCo 5, for which the standard sized pole pieces usually read right about 1050G. AlNiCo 2 poles usually read around 700G. The 1/4" pole pieces might be pulling harder due to their overall larger area of flux, but all in all I don't think it's substantially more or less pull that what you get from smaller sized pole pieces. I think the underlying reason why the 1/4" poles are not significantly stronger is because they're wider, but not taller, so they have a less efficient height to width ratio, with respect to the coercivity AlNiCo 5.

Comment

I have several Tele bridge models that use .800" x .250" A5 rods (and A3), but no neck pickup models of any kind with the big rods. At the bridge there will be far fewer string-pull problems and so I haven't run into any during testing. The neck would be more vulnerable to this but I'm open to big rods for neck depending on customer needs/requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
          I have several Tele bridge models that use .800" x .250" A5 rods (and A3), but no neck pickup models of any kind with the big rods. At the bridge there will be far fewer string-pull problems and so I haven't run into any during testing. The neck would be more vulnerable to this but I'm open to big rods for neck depending on customer needs/requests.
          Do you have a source you can share for those .250" X .800" A5 and A3 rods?

Comment

Do you have a source you can share for those .250" X .800" A5 and A3 rods?
            T posted a price list a while back from Magnetic Hold that has both A3 and A5 in size .250" X .800".

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5313/#post370731
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              I have several Tele bridge models that use .800" x .250" A5 rods (and A3), but no neck pickup models of any kind with the big rods
              I don't think you'll have any problems with string pull with A3 or even A2 .250" rods in the neck position, Dave. Although I too think they're much more useful in the bridge position.
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                T posted a price list a while back from Magnetic Hold that has both A3 and A5 in size .250" X .800".
                They'll make Alnico 2's in that size also. They'll make Alnico rods and bars in almost any dimensions -- I've had them make me some A5's that are .250" x .900".

Comment

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
                  Last edited by big_teee; 02-09-2018, 02:54 AM.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X