No announcement yet.

67 Fender Princeton Reverb tube/fuse problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chances are that when the amp goes into overcurrent it will show itself.

Try powering it up in the dark.

I have seen all sorts of weird stuff.
    Power trannys, OTs, output tube sockets.

Try it.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is your problem but I had similar experience retubing and recapping my bandmaster reverb. It ended up being a bad, new JJ GZ34. It kept blowing fuses after being on for some time but never redplated tubes. The only way I found it was one day I saw the tube arc on me during power up. I replaced it with a vintage tube and haven't had a problem since.

Comment

Originally posted by tdlunsfo View Post
        I'm not sure if this is your problem but I had similar experience retubing and recapping my bandmaster reverb. It ended up being a bad, new JJ GZ34. It kept blowing fuses after being on for some time but never redplated tubes. The only way I found it was one day I saw the tube arc on me during power up. I replaced it with a vintage tube and haven't had a problem since.

Following this line of thought, if you don't have any spare rectifier tubes, such as even a 5U4GB, you could try leaving the new Mullard rectifier tube out, and temporarily installing some 1N4007 rectifier diodes from the HV secondary connections at pins 4 & 6, connecting the cathodes to Pin 8 and see if the same thing happens with this solid state full-wave rectifier.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply. Turns out that the new rectifier tube is faulty. I had a known to be good Sovtek 5ar4 in my tube drawer and I stuck it in the amp and now the voltages are all where they're supposed to be. Amp is biased and sounds pretty amazing. This is the first time I've dealt with a new tube being faulty. I appreciate all of the responses and help from everybody. I ended up replacing all of the electrolytics and the filter can and the bias cap since it was the stock 50v cap. Amp is super quiet. Thanks again everybody!!!

Comment

Working...
          X