Voodoo labs pedal power 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by visualdistortion View Post
    Does the little fuse is like a standard fuse? like you can test the continuity between his legs? Because I opened the transformer and nothing pass between his legs.
    Yep. Regular fuse.

So it's blown. In my case the fuse didn't save the transformer but I hope you have better luck.
    Valvulados

Comment

Transforme die... so bad, need a new one. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Transforme die... so bad, need a new one. Thanks for your help.
        These things need to be redesigned with smaller fuses not hidden in the transformer.
        Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
          These things need to be redesigned with smaller fuses not hidden in the transformer.
          Fuses buried in transformers are typically thermal fuses. These are triggered by over-temperature not over-current. That's why they need to be in thermal contact with the winding(s). Using a normal fuse instead would be kind of cheating regarding safety standards.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, power transformers need to have a thermal fuse to be UL listed.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              If I'm not mistaken, power transformers need to have a thermal fuse to be UL listed.
              How come most transformers in consumer devices don't have a thermal fuse then?

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              Fuses buried in transformers are typically thermal fuses. These are triggered by over-temperature not over-current. That's why they need to be in thermal contact with the winding(s). Using a normal fuse instead would be kind of cheating regarding safety standards.
              I've never seen a guitar pedal catch fire.

These things need a fuse to save the complex and expensive transformer inside them. I don't care where they put the fuse.
              Valvulados

Comment

Does the little fuse is like a standard fuse? like you can test the continuity between his legs? Because I opened the transformer and nothing pass between his legs.
                Please post a picture of the original fuse, I very much doubt it´s a conventional fuse.

Usual *inside* transformers is a *thermal* fuse, a very different thing.

Thermal fuse:

or:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

visualdistortion asked if he could test the fuse like he'd test a regular fuse, I hurriedly said yes ["you can test as"] regular fuse.

That's all, I was just trying to help. I know where this is going and I have zero patience for this.
                  Valvulados

Comment

So on mine, after testing, the problem was on the primary of the transformer and the fuse was "blown". So I'm actually discussing with VL to get a new one. By the way do you think it's possible to add a Fuse in the AC input? Like drill the box and and put a fuse holder, maybe it can prevent from blowing more.

Comment

So on mine, after testing, the problem was on the primary of the transformer and the fuse was "blown". So I'm actually discussing with VL to get a new one. By the way do you think it's possible to add a Fuse in the AC input? Like drill the box and and put a fuse holder, maybe it can prevent from blowing more.
                      I'd surely tell my clients to mod these and add a mains fuse. Could use an axial wired fuse holder, from the mains socket, without having to drill the case.
                      Valvulados

Comment

I have been having a heck of a time trying to locate the issue with my PP2+
                        I'm certain that my transformer fuse has blown.

Unfortunately in my case, in the process of trouble-shooting I created another headache for myself.
                        I removed the two TO-252 surface-mount packaged components without correctly documenting what they were!

I am sure that at least one of them was a voltage regulator (maybe a 317) or a 311 perhaps..
                        Is a fellow PP2+ owner able to tell me what is written on these two components - as well as which one goes where?

Many thanks in advance, Waz in Perth.

Comment

Originally posted by Radarwaz View Post
                          I have been having a heck of a time trying to locate the issue with my PP2+
                          I'm certain that my transformer fuse has blown.

Unfortunately in my case, in the process of trouble-shooting I created another headache for myself.
                          I removed the two TO-252 surface-mount packaged components without correctly documenting what they were!

I am sure that at least one of them was a voltage regulator (maybe a 317) or a 311 perhaps..
                          Is a fellow PP2+ owner able to tell me what is written on these two components - as well as which one goes where?

Many thanks in advance, Waz in Perth.
                          IC5 and IC6 are both LM317
                          Valvulados

Comment

Originally posted by jmaf View Post
                            IC5 and IC6 are both LM317
                            Amazing. Thank-you!!

Comment

Hello, I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I came across this exact same problem.
                              This is a picture of the fuse. The print has faded a little but it read as follows:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4038.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	855490
                              AUPO
                              A4-F JET
                              130ºC x3
                              2A 250V

The problem is I can't get the same fuse, so I was thinking on installing an axial wired fuse as suggested, but don't know what value would be safe. I know the original is a thermal fuse, and I will install a fast blow fuse.
                              Is 1A-250V good?

Comment

Originally posted by spunko View Post
                                Hello, I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I came across this exact same problem.
                                This is a picture of the fuse. The print has faded a little but it read as follows:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]55081[/ATTACH]
                                AUPO
                                A4-F JET
                                130ºC x3
                                2A 250V

The problem is I can't get the same fuse, so I was thinking on installing an axial wired fuse as suggested, but don't know what value would be safe. I know the original is a thermal fuse, and I will install a fast blow fuse.
                                Is 1A-250V good?
                                For the 230VAC model a 250mA mains fuse will do. Note that the aux power outlet is not fused, it's a direct tap from mains.

Was your transformer good after you removed the blown fuse?
                                Valvulados

Comment

Working...
                                X