No announcement yet.

Source for mounting plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you are willing to buy 50 or 100 pieces just go to david enginnering with a 2D cad drawing and have them cut it- they can deburr and tap the plates and plate them too for cheaper than you could buy them pre made if you could find the source
    David Engineering - Metal Stamping, LASER Cutting, Sheet Metal Fabrication

Comment

Maybe you can find them in this shop?

The Two Ronnies - Four Candles [HD] - YouTube

Comment

how bout this shop? Monty Python - Pet Conversions - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          That was a Con Job.
          Did it sound better when you got done?
          Was that made by gibson?
          T
          Yes, from a Gibson SG bass.

My replacement sounded like a bright single coil which is what the owner wanted. I did not try out the original, but he said it was thin sounding.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
            Maybe you can find them in this shop?

The Two Ronnies - Four Candles [HD] - YouTube
            I like this (2 Ronnies) best:

My Blackberry Is Not Working - The Two Ronnies - YouTube
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
              Damn that's funny!
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                if you are willing to buy 50 or 100 pieces just go to david enginnering with a 2D cad drawing and have them cut it- they can deburr and tap the plates and plate them too for cheaper than you could buy them pre made if you could find the source
                David Engineering - Metal Stamping, LASER Cutting, Sheet Metal Fabrication
                Thank you Mr Lollar. I will look into that.
                The Pickup Artist

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                  Now that's pretty funny! Plainly stated : )

Comment

Sketterbrane.... again proves himself the most self-entitled pickup builder in the market today. You ask a questions that will make YOUR job easier and get mad at people when they genuinely give you advice that you don't deem adequate.

How about you go out and really try to find these parts - work the phone if you can - instead of just asking people to do your bidding for you... pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by Edward R View Post
                      Sketterbrane.... again proves himself the most self-entitled pickup builder in the market today. You ask a questions that will make YOUR job easier and get mad at people when they genuinely give you advice that you don't deem adequate.

How about you go out and really try to find these parts - work the phone if you can - instead of just asking people to do your bidding for you... pathetic
                      Chill Mr 38-posts-Ed, your retort is marginally helpfull (and definately not timely a week later).
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Skatterbrane is actually one of the more truthful and honest builders I've run into. You won't find misinformation on his website or wild magical theories that have no basis in facts. He also makes good pickups and has a very good reputation among a wide market. Thumbs up from here ;-) Good man, RedHouse...
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I have the same situation in trying to retrofit mini-HB's in a P90 Les Paul. I'm sure you didn't mean to sound rude and ungrateful when you flipped off these people volunteering their time to help you, 5 years ago, but its how it came across to me, too. I hope you found a solution to the mounting bracket.

Comment

I know this is a real necropost, but there are some good points in here.

I meant sometimes you have to actually make parts. It's equivalent to people buying parts from Warmoth and calling themselves a guitar maker. Or buying a table from Ikea and calling yourself a carpenter because you have to assemble it.
                            It used to be that to make pickups you had to do a lot of the work yourself, like build your own bobbins and tooling, and even your own winder. For example, Duncan, Dimarzio, Fralin and Lollar all started out making all their own parts. Before I bought a copy of Jason's book, I didn't make whole pickups myself, and my rewinder was made from parts from an Erector set and a motor from an old tape recorder. No lie. I only started making my own pickup parts once I graduated from machinist school and got a job in a small machine shop... mostly for access to a lot of machines I couldn't afford.

Nowadays, it's completely different. Everybody knows Stewmac among others sells winders and complete kits for the simpler pickups, like Teles, Strats and PAF's. Instead of spending days figuring out how to cut and bend a nickel silver humbucker baseplate with the tools you have on hand without messing it all up, you can order your choice of bases from lots of different vendors. For a minimum investment, just about anybody can make a pickup and sell it.

It's refreshing to read that there are still obsessive people out there like me, who actually want to make every part of their pickups themselves instead of just ordering a bunch of parts off da web like 'everybody else'. Yes it's true that there are some parts that are almost impossible to make yourself, like Tele rhythm pickup or humbucker pickup covers. But there is a certain amount of pride involved in telling a player that the only part of that P90 pickup he loved the sound of so much that you didn't make was the screws and the magnets.

Old fart rant over...

ken
                            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Good points Ken.
                              This forum is big enough for all kinds of pickup builders and assemblers.
                              I make a few one off pickups, but if you are making many, I prefer having the parts made.
                              Forbon parts can be cut by several pickup parts sellers.
                              You don't have to have your own laser, to make custom forbon pickups.
                              Tone-Kraft will cut about anything you need, and at a reasonable price.
                              Wind Your Own Pickups, Guitar Pickup Kits, Alnico Rod Magnets, Pickup Flatwork, Tone Kraft
                              To me it is about tone, and as long as the parts are good quality, that's good enough!
                              Same goes for baseplates!
                              T

**I made my blues playing grandson a parts caster in August.
                              I used mainly WD parts, licensed Fender WD neck, and a beautiful Flame sunburst Alder body.
                              I bought tuners, fender bridge tremelo, hand fitted a bone blank nut.
                              Used a loaded pickguard I made from mainly Mojo parts, hand wired by me.
                              Pickups were wound by me from mojo parts.
                              It all took me several days. It turned out great and my GS loves it.
                              So did I make anything, or not?
                              Last edited by big_teee; 11-28-2017, 05:58 PM.
                              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                              Terry

Comment

Sorry about the double post. For some reason my computer should have saved as a draft what is now post #43, instead of posting it. Oops. Moderator, please remove the post #43 if possible.

**I made my blues playing grandson a parts caster in August.
                                I used mainly WD parts, licensed Fender WD neck, and a beautiful Flame sunburst Alder body. I bought tuners, fender bridge tremelo, hand fitted a bone blank nut. Used a loaded pickguard I made from mainly Mojo parts, hand wired by me. Pickups were wound by me from mojo parts. It all took me several days. It turned out great and my GS loves it. So did I make anything, or not?
                                Yes, you made that guitar. The difference is you probably don't have the technology necessary to make all those parts by yourself, especially the neck... so you bought them. Then you gave it to your grandson. That's really cool. You didn't try to spin it as Jimi Hendrix's Second Coming and sell it on Ebay.

Maybe I'm being a crotchety ole fart, but what I was trying to say was that it is now all too easy nowadays to buy a bunch of parts, hire a marketing major from the local community college to write ads, and BOOM! you're a pickup maker. I wish eloquent David was here, he could probably explain better than I can.

I made my own guitars too, bodies and pickups anyways. Here are two of my older guitars. Now I can make everything but the neck, and I'm working on that now. Yes, I made the P90's on the one on the right, but couldn't make good baseplates with the tools I had at the time to justify mass production. I just bought the neccesary machines a month ago to make good P90 and humbucker baseplates myself. If I could find a good way to make my own Tele lead pickup baseplates or Strat pickup covers without all the issues, I'd be all over that too. 3D printing is still today too grainy for pickup covers or humbucker bobbins IMO. Too bad.

BTW... anybody know where I can find say a 50 ton hydraulic punch press that runs on 240V single phase AC power and still fits under a 9 foot shop ceiling?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2guitars.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	847827

Ken
                                Last edited by ken; 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM.
                                www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                                X