Peavey PVXp15 crack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey PVXp15 crack!

Here's a picture that was shot with my iPhone through my microscope of a broken winding on a tweeter driver coil from a Peavey PVXp15 powered speaker cabinet I'm repairing.

The bent over wire is probably from me when I Q-tipped off the coil grease to get a good shot. I think this is #38 wire but I don't know for sure... the microscope magnification is X10.

It looks like it just cracked and broke like a dry piece of spaghetti. It don't show any signs of burning or melting as you would expect from an over current. There is no coating scuffed off from rubbing. Maybe an extreme vibration or shock causing copper fatigue and subsequent failure or something. If you notice, it's just about where the seam in the coil form is located, maybe a little too much flexi flexi... maybe a design flaw, anyway, I replace this coil with a new one, problem solved for now.
    ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Please repost picture
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Please repost picture
      Click image for larger version

Name:	coil_break.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	847854

I put the original picture up with a straight cut and paste from an email... guess it don't come across for everyone's machine... here's an attachment of it.
      ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Comment

Working...
      X