Spot the mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot the mistake

There is a mistake in this shot, can you spot it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	seeit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	873488

Look close... maybe this will help,

Click image for larger version

Name:	seezoom.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	873489
    ... That's $1.00 for the chalk mark and $49,999.00 for knowing where to put it!

Most wires are coming out the pickup hole then you have one coming from the F hole?
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
      Most wires are coming out the pickup hole then you have one coming from the F hole?
      nosaj
      I shot this picture just before I started pulling the harness I just made into the body cavity The black wire coming out of the F hole is the bridge ground taped out of the way temporarily. I went ahead and installed the harness, wired up the pickups, tested it and packed it back in it's case to be picked up by the customer. Only later did I take a close look at this picture and noticed my mistake... a construction mistake you might say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sowhat View Post
        There is a mistake in this shot, can you spot it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47869[/ATTACH]

Look close... maybe this will help,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47870[/ATTACH]
        Let me get out my magnifying glass...

I

I don't see what you are referring to but I would have used black heat shrink tubing on the uninsulated coax cable to make it less visible to the person playing the guitar...

You're lucky... I always get stuck working on the ES335 style guitars with the center block so that all of the controls come out the F hole.

Steve A.

P.S. So what is the flat black material with which you are tying everything together?!? It sure looks better than the damn dental floss I've been using...

P.P.S. The pot tapers are not consistent? I personally prefer linear volume pots and audio tone pots but that is me... I am more concerned about turning down the volume gradually from 10 than turning it up from 0.
        Last edited by Steve A.; 03-28-2018, 04:14 AM.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
          Let me get out my magnifying glass...

I don't see what you are referring to but I would have used black heat shrink tubing on the uninsulated coax cable to make it less visible to the person playing the guitar...

You're lucky... I always get stuck working on the ES335 style guitars with the center block so that all of the controls come out the F hole.

Steve A.

P.S. So what is the flat black material with which you are tying everything together?!? It sure looks better than the damn dental floss I've been using...

P.P.S. The pot tapers are not consistent? I personally prefer linear volume pots and audio tone pots but that is me... I am more concerned about turning down the volume gradually from 10 than turning it up from 0.
          Actually you do see it, it's the tapers, that's it! These were customer supplied parts and when I do this with my own parts I usually just put in all audio taper pots all around, his parts compliment however intended audio taper to be used for volume controls and linear taper for the tones... whoops, at least I got it half right, anyway, he'll never notice.

You can't see the blue shrink, the stiffness and form fit of the harness slaps all that wiring up against the bottom of the top anyway, I'm just being stylish. The black line is good old flat waxed cable lacing cord... I have something like 5000 feet of the stuff. It's stiff enough to snake through blind passages and can be shaped into... well... shapes, and it hold it's shape somewhat. Easy to work with.

Comment

I thought the school of thought was always audio taper on tones. Linear taper on vol was for bedroom players. I saw the b pot but i also noticed the lock washers, how do they not fall off fishing them through?

Edit, i meant falling off the shaft onto the string, seems like a pain to get them back on. I would use a dab of rtv or something.
            Last edited by mozz; 03-29-2018, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
              I thought the school of thought was always audio taper on tones. Linear taper on vol was for bedroom players. I saw the b pot but i also noticed the lock washers, how do they not fall off fishing them through?
              How do they fall off, if there is a string through them?
              Maybe I'm missing something here?
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

pot taper? isn't that something you do before work on Monday?

The "mistake" I was going to guess is "its a hollow body with far too many controls..."
                but one mans mistake is another's nirvana!

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  How do they fall off, if there is a string through them?
                  Maybe I'm missing something here?
                  Ahhh yes, there really no way for the washers to fall off because they are captive due to the strings attached, as you pull the pot towards it's intended hole with the string the washer is guided in place no matter if it falls off the shaft or not in the process, no glue or tape needed.

Comment

I've only wired Strats and Teles. How do you tighten the pot nuts when you can't hold the pot body?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                      I've only wired Strats and Teles. How do you tighten the pot nuts when you can't hold the pot body?
                      You can actually get a pinky in through the F-hole which will generally reach the pots and switch... it's the input jack that is a bit too far but that's what the lock washers are for. Those things grab into the control and wood to keep things from spinning, yeah that and having the wiring harness stiff enough to hold it's shape well makes that problem basically non existent.

Comment

Working...
                      X