Please check my wiring diagram: DiMarzio Super Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please check my wiring diagram: DiMarzio Super Switch

Hi, folks! I can follow a diagram, but making modifications strays outside my knowledge base a wee bit. I want to wire up a couple humbuckers I made with a DiMarzio Super Switch, using this diagram as a starting point http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul..._ep1112web.pdf, with some changes to positions 2 and 4. If I drew it right, it should work like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Super 5 - Slugs n Blades.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	869699

The change I made to the 2 and 4 positions is instead of selecting inside/outside coils, it selects the top/bottom coils. The reason for this is the content of the pickups. The neck north and bridge south are slug coils wound with 43awg and carrying neodymium magnets; the neck south and bridge north are blade coils wound with 42awg and carrying ceramic8 magnets. This is an experiment, clearly, and I want to isolate the different types of coils to hear what they sound like. If they don't end up sounding particularly different, there are some other cool switching diagrams on the DiMarzio website.

Thanks for looking!

Looks good, except if I'm reading it right, the drawing should show the neck N and S in the same orientation as the bridge. the coil IDs on the left-hand side of the page has them flipped in relation to the bridge. Is that intentional?

edit: I'm not sure if you know this or not, but pay close attention to the pickup manufacturer's wiring diagram to get phasing and polarity right. There's no standard on what the colors mean. Each brand is different.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

you can also wire it up as per "normal" for inner and outers and then flip the neck pickup around 180 so that the previous inner coil is now on the outside (and vice versa )

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        Looks good, except if I'm reading it right, the drawing should show the neck N and S in the same orientation as the bridge. the coil IDs on the left-hand side of the page has them flipped in relation to the bridge. Is that intentional?

edit: I'm not sure if you know this or not, but pay close attention to the pickup manufacturer's wiring diagram to get phasing and polarity right. There's no standard on what the colors mean. Each brand is different.
        If I want the neck and bridge to operate in humbucking in position 3 (all on), then they need to be opposite polarity, right? So, the norths are in and the souths are out (or viceversa). Then, when I select positions 2 and 4, I'll be getting a north and a south from each coil for humbucking, as well.

As to the color coding, I learned to wind from Lollar's book, so I use his color coding (which is the same as Seymour Duncan). That color code conversion chart on Guitar Electronics is invaluable! GuitarElectronics.com - Guitar & Bass 4-Wire Humbucker Color Code Diagrams

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
          you can also wire it up as per "normal" for inner and outers and then flip the neck pickup around 180 so that the previous inner coil is now on the outside (and vice versa )
          Good way to think of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
            If I want the neck and bridge to operate in humbucking in position 3 (all on), then they need to be opposite polarity, right? So, the norths are in and the souths are out (or viceversa). Then, when I select positions 2 and 4, I'll be getting a north and a south from each coil for humbucking, as well.

As to the color coding, I learned to wind from Lollar's book, so I use his color coding (which is the same as Seymour Duncan). That color code conversion chart on Guitar Electronics is invaluable! GuitarElectronics.com - Guitar & Bass 4-Wire Humbucker Color Code Diagrams
            Reading the drawing you supplied as a schematic, all I'm saying is that for the neck HB, the polarity and the wire colors don't match up with the bridge. That may or may not be confusing to anyone but me.

For position 3, since the two humbuckers are fully utilized, there's no additional noise cancelling to be gained by adjusting the polarities. However, you can get an out-of-phase relationship. Again, using the wire colors as a guide, I don't think that's what you intended.
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

The wiring diagram is not correct.
              In pos. 3 both humbuckers have to be the same polarity.
              So if you flip one over, then 2 & 4 will not be correct.
              You have the general idea, I've done that before and it works good.
              You just have to get all the polarities correct.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Ok then, that's why I'm vetting this diagram. I'll trust that you guys know what you're talking about, because I don't!

So, let me back up here... am I just making this up, or is it convention to mount humbuckers with neck and bridge North coils facing in? Ah, but of course, you still wire them in phase. I drew this up under the assumption that it was the polarity that gave the neck+bridge combo its hum-cancelling. Huh. So, I should just follow the DiMarzio diagram and go with inside/outside for positions 2 and 4.

Wow, I'm really needing some help. Here's another basic question about the Super Switch for future reference: I drew my diagram with the assumption that the right side of the switch gives the full humbucker, while the left side is the tap. Is that correct?

Back to the drawing board. Sheesh. Thanks, guys!

Comment

You can wire a super switch several different ways.
                  S. D. has another layout.
                  Wiring Diagram
                  You can see the splits on the right side.
                  You can ground them both, put output on both, or put ground on one, and output on one to get the RWRP effect you were looking for.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Here's another basic question about the Super Switch for future reference: I drew my diagram with the assumption that the right side of the switch gives the full humbucker, while the left side is the tap. Is that correct?
                    Well, it's a switch. It just is. There are no rules

I have these in two of my guitars. I think they are versatile, can be used for almost anything that I can think of. I have them set up to make selections among three pickups, some with taps. I'm sure there are more ways to use them than what I've thought of, so my advice is for you to not feel 'limited' by what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      You can wire a super switch several different ways.
                      S. D. has another layout.
                      Wiring Diagram
                      You can see the splits on the right side.
                      You can ground them both, put output on both, or put ground on one, and output on one to get the RWRP effect you were looking for.
                      T
                      Hey, this diagram makes MUCH more sense to my feeble electronics brain. And it uses my colors, to boot!

So, to clarify: even though it illustrates slugs in, screws out, are both pickups facing North (or South) so position 3 works correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                        Well, it's a switch. It just is. There are no rules ... I'm sure there are more ways to use them than what I've thought of, so my advice is for you to not feel 'limited' by what they can do.
                        My challenge here is that I'm operating on the brink of my understanding of this topic: I don't have any formal training/education in electronics, nor much of a repertoire of rules, yet. I read and read and try to make sense, but often plow ahead, and then suddenly feel like Wile E Coyote dangling in mid air just off the edge of the cliff! I am greatly appreciative of folks giving their time and patience to help me out.

Comment

Hey, this diagram makes MUCH more sense to my feeble electronics brain. And it uses my colors, to boot!

So, to clarify: even though it illustrates slugs in, screws out, are both pickups facing North (or South) so position 3 works correctly?
                          All SD pickups, neck or bridge, are the same.
                          Use this diagram to see how the pickups are internally wired.
                          Wiring Diagram
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

My challenge here is that I'm operating on the brink of my understanding of this topic
                            I'm the same way myself!
                            I struggle to understand how the pickups work, get frustrated when some pickup makers arbitrarily assign different colors to different leads, and resort to the internet for answers. For me the pickups are the hard part, and I try to keep that separated as much as possible from the puzzle of the actual wiring. Segregate and contain your knowledge

Comment

Thanks, guys. What I thought would be a simple diagram check has turned into some important info gap-filling for me. The guitar in question is getting body finish now, with the neck needing frets and final shaping. I'll post when it's complete.

Comment

Working...
                              X