Guitar Amp Grade Capacitors ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
    I think thats an octave effect (octave below). Thats what it sounds like to me.
    might be. I think he used one on one or more tunes (Mean Streets??). Also vaguely recall one inside his Bradshaw rack (a Boss).

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
      Shoot, we're guitar players. Who cares about playing in B flat?

B Flat is for those damn goatee wearing, beret topped, snooty ass jazz playing sax players.
      You mean like Chuck Berry?

Comment

The truth is..... If you want real quality....make it yourself!
        Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

the negative indicator and numbers/lettering looks similar:

JESIN KOREA 横型電解コンデンサー450V100μ 22X40mm

listed as "Jesin Korea". Haven't been able to find a website for the company so far.

Comment

Guitar Amp Grade Capacitors ; sounds like an oxymoron. I've read threads were guys believe it only costs a couple hundred dollars to build an 18 watt tube guitar amp, and now I see the cost for just one filter cap is over 5 bucks...

In the old days, they used rolled paper and foil for filter caps. Maybe it's time to start rolling my own. "Probably would sound better too"!!!!!!

-g

Comment

anyone want to buy "signal grade" copper wire? Or perhaps "speaker wire grade" copper wire? Optional silver plating for less harshness.

Comment

the negative indicator and numbers/lettering looks similar
                Ahem.

"Jesin":

Kendrick:

Xicon:

Richey:

Comment

Originally posted by mooreamps View Post
                  In the old days, they used rolled paper and foil for filter caps. Maybe it's time to start rolling my own. "Probably would sound better too"!!!!!!
                  Maybe... But where to get NOS paper?

BTW, I'd love to get my filters for under six bucks. Since I don't build hundreds of amps at a shot I pay fifteen bucks for the first cap in the string and twelve for the others I really need to experiment with less expensive caps to see if there's any undesireable results. I'm pretty sure I can get radial Nichicon PW series for less and the specs for those caps whoop a$$ on the ATOM caps.

Chuck
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ha! Just looked it up...

If your willing to work with radial caps you can get Nichicon PW's for three and a half bucks for a 100uf @ 450V and 22uf @ 450V for a buck and a half.

Very next build. No doubt. Screw Sprague, fifteen bucks, pfft.

Chuck
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
                      anyone want to buy "signal grade" copper wire? Or perhaps "speaker wire grade" copper wire? Optional silver plating for less harshness.

don't forget to leave out those new "HD" certified antenna's for TV ...

-g

Comment

BTW. From some of the research I've done on power supplies for guitar amps, it seems you get a little bit more of a vintage tone from the old Fender paper caps that were partially dried out over the course of time, meaning the internal ESR going up. The new more modern high end filter caps with the very low measured internal ESR's may look good on a spec sheet, but I wonder if a "guitar amp grade" cap would actually end up being on the other end of the scale ; for the more vintage tones..... If so, very easy to mimic with the modern day components.

-g
                        Last edited by mooreamps; 05-20-2010, 05:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
                          Ahem.

"Jesin":

Kendrick:

Xicon:

Richey:
                          ahh, looks like the "Jesin" could be the original source.

these "Unicon" are some current production axials that I know of (Japanese company, factory in China AFAIK--seems to be typical to have moved the factories to cut costs), and have negative markings that are a bit different :

ユニコン アルミ電解チューブラ形コンデンサー アルミ電解ブロック形コンデンサー

company:

http://www.unielecs.com/

datasheets:

http://www.unielecs.com/FUT.PDF

http://www.unielecs.com/GST.PDF

I don't really see many new production axial alu electros here. Seems predominantly radial. Radial are lot less expensive also.

Comment

...so...what did Gerald say?

Why, a week or more after the thread started are people still speculating based on font type. Read the font, the caps you reference are all 450v rating. Dimensions?

This thread is a perfect example of how the internet can be a completely valueless source of misinformation & speculation. This isn't a sasquatch hunt...you just need to ring Gerald & ask him, or buy a cap & check dimensions & compare those & spec to the Asian caps.

Comment

that would only be useful if he tells the truth. I'd rather see a document with country of origin info for the Xicon and Richey caps(if they are also S.Korea made, then that is three that match, which would seem to make a stronger case for the Kendrick being from the same manf.). Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with him getting "Kendrick" branded alu electros. Might be perfectly fine even if they are the dreaded "Asian" caps. Also, I personally do think the font and negative markings are useful clues to origin, since there does seem to be a degree of uniqueness with the markings(and the cuttings(?) in the top vent parts of radials).

Comment

"that would only be useful if he tells the truth." Why wouldn't he? Do you typicaly lie about such things...are we supposed to take what you say for granted & assume that anyone else could be lying?

"Also, I personally do think the font and negative markings are useful clues to origin, since there does seem to be a degree of uniqueness with the markings (and the cuttings(?) in the top vent parts of radials)." - Knowing the origin is the best clue to knowing the origin...your post would have been better directed to Gerald, then you would know & not be guessing. Not all Asian caps are "dreaded", some are widely used in respected builds...but again, few are 500v rated.

Remember, this thread is not simply about someone's perceived tonal benefit about a part/brand or value...it'a not a matter of opinion...the caps are made somewhere, that is a fact... you can guess/pontificate but it doesn't change the location of where the cap is made.

For the umpteenth time, why not just ask him?

Comment

Working...
                                X