Fender Frontman 65R volume mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi all!
    I am the author of the robertotrick, and I am still struggling with this amplifier: I still do not like the response of the volume pot. It goes up too quickly and this behaviour is not suitable for home playing.
    BTW .. do not replace R15 2.2k resistor with a 10k resistor: this modification reduces definitely the loudness of the amplifier by 2dB and decreases the output power delivered to the speaker (you will not be able to use the 65W), see drawing hereunder.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	844430

As you can see, howevere there is no tone change, so you might still go for this option, if you don't mind to lose some watts on the output.

Comment

Originally posted by bigroberto View Post
      hi all!
      I am the author of the robertotrick, and I am still struggling with this amplifier: I still do not like the response of the volume pot. It goes up too quickly and this behaviour is not suitable for home playing.
      BTW .. do not replace R15 2.2k resistor with a 10k resistor: this modification reduces definitely the loudness of the amplifier by 2dB and decreases the output power delivered to the speaker (you will not be able to use the 65W), see drawing hereunder.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]41903[/ATTACH]

As you can see, howevere there is no tone change, so you might still go for this option, if you don't mind to lose some watts on the output.
      Have you simply tried putting an pad pot in the effects loop?

Comment

Originally posted by bigroberto View Post
        hi all!
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]41903[/ATTACH]

OK.... I had done the mod a while back and the results were acceptable to me as far as smoothing out the 0-3 volume response. But I couldn't tell if it reduced any output power since I've rarely used my 65R volume above 3-4 !! (Did a few tests at 6-7 and that was way freaking loud!!)
        So, given your comment...
        "As you can see, however, there is no tone change, so you might still go for this option, if you don't mind to lose some watts on the output".
        ..what would that equate to in terms of actual output watts? Might I only be getting 60W output? Or 50W output? or would I likely even notice an audible difference?
        Last edited by Five Aces; 02-26-2017, 05:49 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

If all else stays the same, the difference between 60 watts and 30 watts is only 3 decibels. That is just enough to hear, not much difference at all. For reference, the typical two jack input like on a Fender Twin Reverb or something is 6db. You would never hear the difference between 65w and 60 w.

An amp only puts out its rated wattage when it is maxed. You are not playing at max levels, by your complaint that the volume is not responsive in the low range as you would prefer. In other words worrying about a few watts is like bemoaning your car is rouch at low speeds, but fixing it would mean it no longer will go 100 mph, only 80.
          Changing that resistor may smooth the control response, but it also makes it so it no longer can be turned all the way up. That is the only cost. But you don't want it all the way up anyway. And 2db would be difficult to hear as a difference.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            If all else stays the same, the difference between 60 watts and 30 watts is only 3 decibels. That is just enough to hear, not much difference at all. For reference, the typical two jack input like on a Fender Twin Reverb or something is 6db. You would never hear the difference between 65w and 60 w.

An amp only puts out its rated wattage when it is maxed. You are not playing at max levels, by your complaint that the volume is not responsive in the low range as you would prefer. In other words worrying about a few watts is like bemoaning your car is rouch at low speeds, but fixing it would mean it no longer will go 100 mph, only 80.
            Changing that resistor may smooth the control response, but it also makes it so it no longer can be turned all the way up. That is the only cost. But you don't want it all the way up anyway. And 2db would be difficult to hear as a difference.
            My "complaint" that the volume is not responsive in the low range was not meant really as a complaint. ..... and more as a preference because at home, as while practicing, where you just want to tweak in a low volume setting, that proverbial touchy volume control comes into play.
            Indeed I've had no concerns as to weather I can put out 30w or 60 w....more of a curiosity what that may have equated to. You are right, if I never use it to full power, and it works for me, the numbers are only numbers.
            So many users get hung up on that output power number when comparing amps. IMHO It all boils down to what you hear and if you like it!

Comment

yes, because many laymen think watts and volume are directly parallel.

I used the word complaint only in the sense that on a work order, that is the name of the line on which we put what the customer wants to change. No implications as to social intent or anything like that intended.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Absolutely no offense taken, and I'd like to to add to my comments.....

#1 - I didn't think about it until you mentioned it, I typically use the #2 input on my Frontman 65R. And yes, IIRC that input is also 6bd down from input #1, so that goes to show ya how little I utilize the 65R's capable full output! Yet it still served my needs well weather practicing or gigging!

#2 - As a reverse comparison, I recently picked up a used Frontman 25R that had the speaker replaced with a Ragin' Cajun. The efficiency of that speaker is at least a 4db increase over the OEM speaker. So technically, that could put it close to the same level as the 65R!

Putting my 25R & 65R side by side for sound comparisons, they have their tone differences. Some by its amp design and some in just the tonal differences of a 10" vs 12" speaker. In any case, each one has its merits and in my opinion, enough "power" to perform. And, as they say...... your mileage may vary!

I find it interesting with many discussions that go on weather an amp is "gigable"(?) based on it's rated output watts. It's really more of an issue of how it's being used or what you expect out of it. Seriously, a 100w amp may not be useable if your group has a maniac drummer that just drowns out everyone! Yet a 15w amp can do wonders depending on the dicipline of your fellow musicians, venue acoustics or available mikes & PA systems!

Play on!

Comment

Working...
                X