Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powe supply OK for AVR STK500 board

Hi All,
    I got old STK500 board for programming AVR chips. Would like to tinker with DSP. Manual says requires 15v dc (actually 10-15), min 500ma.
    Found a bunch of kits on Ebay, made you-know-where. E.g.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-Adju...IAAOSw5EBa3Vn2

I don't know much, is there anything I need to look out for? The reason for going with a kit is mainly to get a nice PCB rather than do one of those waffle board things.

Curious why so many parts on the board, since it should be a fairly simple circuit, given that thay are using a packaged regulator.

Any one know of other good quality kits for linear power supplies 15v 2-3a?
    Thanks.
    MP
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post

Curious why so many parts on the board, since it should be a fairly simple circuit, given that thay are using a packaged regulator.
    The packaged regulator runs the fan. The output comes off the power FET. There is a circuit description further down the listing page.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks I read it a few times, but didn't understand it completely. I think there is an adjustment procedure at the bottom, really tough to understand. Something about short circuit current, and an additional transformer for a meter?
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Mike,

I'm not sure whether you noticed that this a description translated from Chinese to English with extremely poor quality (most probably using google translator). You shouldn't try to understand it - there are many errors in the translation and the sense what the author wanted to say is "lost in translations".
        Also, you don't need such an advanced power supply. I think that all you need is a the most simple power supply with e.g. LM7812 with a small heatsink. You can also use any DC power supply with the output voltage in a range between 10 and 15V. This will cost you just a few dollars.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusBass View Post
          Mike,

I'm not sure whether you noticed that this a description translated from Chinese to English with extremely poor quality (most probably using google translator). You shouldn't try to understand it - there are many errors in the translation and the sense what the author wanted to say is "lost in translations".
          Also, you don't need such an advanced power supply. I think that all you need is a the most simple power supply with e.g. LM7812 with a small heatsink. You can also use any DC power supply with the output voltage in a range between 10 and 15V. This will cost you just a few dollars.

Mark
          Hi Mark,
          Thanks, oh yeah, I could not make much sense out of the translation. It looks like one of those automated google translations. Thanks for the tip on simpler ps, will keep looking.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            The packaged regulator runs the fan. The output comes off the power FET. There is a circuit description further down the listing page.
            Thanks again G1, so the bulk of all that extra circuitry is just to run the fan motor?

Comment

"100% Brand New and High Quality
              Linear regulator steady flow, power tube IRF3205
              0-15V 0-5A, adjustable experimental maintenance power supply
              With LM317 fan power supply circuit
              You can not use fan control circuit, are generally to increase the cooling tube area. RF3205 can be used 75NF75, can also use other models of high-power NMOS field tube, select the conduction resistance as small as possible."

Ok re-read this part of the listing a few more times. So, this thing is a LM317 based fan motor, with a 'experimental' power supply tacked on, hence why the circuit is so complicated.

I saw this one earlier, but it looks "too cheap":
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM7815-Step...c2b6%7Ciid%3A1

Sometimes really dirt cheap stuff has old rev, or bad components? Anyway, its about as basic a LM**** rectifier/regulator board that I could find.

Comment

Could I ask you guys, Ive read a bunch of sites with articles on simpler LM317 based power supplies, and some have examples of "constant current" supplies that have a few extra components. Why would you need a constant current supply? Is it a way of limiting output current? What happens if the device connected to the supply 'tries' to draw more current than the constant?

Comment

Working...
                X