No announcement yet.

Marshall VS100R hum problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure why, it only seems to be with high cathode voltages. I had problems with them mostly in Marshall cathode follower circuits.

edit: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t29409/
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by avoverdu View Post
      What components should I buy to convert the filament supply (around 14vAC) to an equivalent DC heater supply?
      Letīs go step by step, I hate giving blanket answers, prefer to explain the method so it can be applied somewhere else if needed:

1) 14VAC will give you 1.41 times that peak, but in a bridge rectifier we have 2 diodes in series in the path, so :
      14VAC*1.4142=17.8v .
      each diode drops about 0.7V so we end with 17.8-1.4=18.4VDC .
      We can use a 2200uFx25V electrolytic as first capacitor.

2) we need to drop from 18.4V to 12.6V , and filament current is 0.15A so we need a series resistor of:
      (18.4-12.6)/0.15=5.8V/0.15A=38.7 ohms.

Power dissipation will be 5.8V*0.15A=0.87W

Nice numbers but we live in the Real World and suppliers can supply what they have on their shelves so, letīs pick "standard" values, close enough.

To begin with, raw voltage will drop a little respect to the ideal value, so I think a 33 ohm resistor will be fine ; IF available a 36 ohm one *might* be closer ... or not, as said above transformer winding might drop a little more than expected under load.

To begin with, I doubt Marshall wanted to cook te tube, what for? , so I bet they "expected" that filament winding to give around 12.6V ... under load that is, so .... I have a hunch that the 33 ohm one will be fine.

As of dissipation, a 1W one WILL work, no doubt, but for peace of mind specify 2W .

And after that resistor, add a second 2200*25 capacitor, this combination is called CRC filtering, because.... weeeeellll ..... you can imagine why
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I lost track. What you suggest I can do it but it seems complicated; do you want me to run some tests again??? If we want to be sure just tell me what to do and I will
        Have you abandoned this discussion? I was waiting for a response to this post 52

I don't think it's any more complicated than adding a DC supply - cut one track, add two resistors and one capacitor. On the other hand the DC supply needs wiring on the input and output, maybe add one resistor. It's more expensive but is guaranteed to work.
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Letīs go step by step, I hate giving blanket answers, prefer to explain the method so it can be applied somewhere else if needed:

1) 14VAC will give you 1.41 times that peak, but in a bridge rectifier we have 2 diodes in series in the path, so :
          14VAC*1.4142=17.8v .
          each diode drops about 0.7V so we end with 17.8-1.4=18.4VDC .
          We can use a 2200uFx25V electrolytic as first capacitor.

2) we need to drop from 18.4V to 12.6V , and filament current is 0.15A so we need a series resistor of:
          (18.4-12.6)/0.15=5.8V/0.15A=38.7 ohms.

Power dissipation will be 5.8V*0.15A=0.87W

Nice numbers but we live in the Real World and suppliers can supply what they have on their shelves so, letīs pick "standard" values, close enough.

To begin with, raw voltage will drop a little respect to the ideal value, so I think a 33 ohm resistor will be fine ; IF available a 36 ohm one *might* be closer ... or not, as said above transformer winding might drop a little more than expected under load.

To begin with, I doubt Marshall wanted to cook te tube, what for? , so I bet they "expected" that filament winding to give around 12.6V ... under load that is, so .... I have a hunch that the 33 ohm one will be fine.

As of dissipation, a 1W one WILL work, no doubt, but for peace of mind specify 2W .

And after that resistor, add a second 2200*25 capacitor, this combination is called CRC filtering, because.... weeeeellll ..... you can imagine why
          Ok, we are on holidays here and I canīt get the parts until Monday. But I have a question: I connected the filament heater to my 14VDC supply, turned the amp on and connected my guitar and there is still hum. The hum on the clean channel is loud!!! so I don't see the point on convert the AC to DC if the hum will stay after the conversion. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
            Have you abandoned this discussion? I was waiting for a response to this post 52

I don't think it's any more complicated than adding a DC supply - cut one track, add two resistors and one capacitor. On the other hand the DC supply needs wiring on the input and output, maybe add one resistor. It's more expensive but is guaranteed to work.
            Sorry mate I'm still here but we are on holidays and the stores are closed until Monday. Ill let you know when I do those changes. I appreciate it!!!

Comment

Ok, we are on holidays here and I canīt get the parts until Monday. But I have a question: I connected the filament heater to my 14VDC supply, turned the amp on and connected my guitar and there is still hum. The hum on the clean channel is loud!!! so I don't see the point on convert the AC to DC if the hum will stay after the conversion. Am I wrong?
              Just asking the obvious. You did disconnect the heaters from the transformer when you clipped in the 14VDC?

nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

In post 39 you stated there was no hum using the DC supply. All the tests and answers since that point have been based on that. You are now saying the opposite?

Comment

In post 39 you stated there was no hum using the DC supply. All the tests and answers since that point have been based on that. You are now saying the opposite?
                  The post 39 was without the guitar. Today I plugged the guitar with the DC supply hooked to the filament just to be sure that it worth to make the conversion and it hums.

ANYWAY I FOUND SOMETHING ELSE THAT MAYBE IS MESSING WITH ALL THE THEORIES: THE TIP OF THE JACK WAS SUPPOSED TO GROUND THE SIGNAL WHEN NOTHING IS PLUGGED IN AND IT WAS NOT MAKING CONNECTION. I GUESS THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                    Just asking the obvious. You did disconnect the heaters from the transformer when you clipped in the 14VDC?

nosaj
                    Yes I did

Comment

The post 39 was without the guitar. Today I plugged the guitar with the DC supply hooked to the filament just to be sure that it worth to make the conversion and it hums.

ANYWAY I FOUND SOMETHING ELSE THAT MAYBE IS MESSING WITH ALL THE THEORIES: THE TIP OF THE JACK WAS SUPPOSED TO GROUND THE SIGNAL WHEN NOTHING IS PLUGGED IN AND IT WAS NOT MAKING CONNECTION. I GUESS THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. PLEASE LET ME KNOW
                      It should only make a difference if the second shorting contact were broken also as that one mutes the signal input to the tube. Earlier you said that it hummed with all the knobs at zero and no guitar plugged in. All the tests were supposed to done that way. If you changed them at any time it invalidates everything.

Right now I have zero confidence in any of the results - there are too many contradictions. I suggest you fix the jack and carefully check the operation of both switching contacts and we'll re-evaluate the situation.

Comment

It should only make a difference if the second shorting contact were broken also as that one mutes the signal input to the tube. Earlier you said that it hummed with all the knobs at zero and no guitar plugged in. All the tests were supposed to done that way. If you changed them at any time it invalidates everything.

Right now I have zero confidence in any of the results - there are too many contradictions. I suggest you fix the jack and carefully check the operation of both switching contacts and we'll re-evaluate the situation.
                        Hey Iīm back and I fixed the jack. These are the new tests:

Everything on zero, no guitar plugged in, all the values are in AC volts from measuring across the speaker:

1) Nothing, just turning on the amp: CLEAN CHANNEL=0.24 OVERDRIVE CHANNEL=0.184

2) R48 TEST: I placed one end of the jumper cable on the main ground and the other end on the side of R48 that connects with R49 (just to make sure im doing it right)
                        CLEAN CHANNEL=0.001 (no hum) OVERDRIVE CHANNEL=0.152

3) R77 TEST: I placed one end of the jumper cable on the main ground and the other end on the side of R77 that connects with R78 (just to make sure im doing it right)
                        CLEAN CHANNEL=0.145 OVERDRIVE CHANNEL=0.002 (no hum)
                        Last edited by avoverdu; 12-11-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

OK Thanks. Can you try the DC heater supply once more please and measure the ACV out across the speaker?

Comment

OK Thanks. Can you try the DC heater supply once more please and measure the ACV out across the speaker?
                            Everything on zero, no guitar plugged in, all the values are in AC volts from measuring across the speaker:

DC Supply: CLEAN CHANNEL=0.070 (approximately, it fluctuates up to 0.040) OVERDRIVE CHANNEL=0.012

Thanks

Comment

DC Supply: CLEAN CHANNEL=0.070 (approximately, it fluctuates up to 0.040) OVERDRIVE CHANNEL=0.012

Thanks
                              So the DC supply helps quite a lot. You can
                              (a) Fit a DC supply
                              (b) Try elevating the heater DC voltage [cheap to do] or
                              (c) keep trying different tubes until you find one you are happy with
                              (d) Live with it.

What's it to be?

Comment

So the DC supply helps quite a lot. You can
                                (a) Fit a DC supply
                                (b) Try elevating the heater DC voltage [cheap to do] or
                                (c) keep trying different tubes until you find one you are happy with
                                (d) Live with it.

What's it to be?
                                I didnt give up!!!! Iīve been busy at work this week but today im gonna get some parts. Im going to try all your suggestions until I find the cure LOL. By the way I did some tests that I will ppost later in detail.

Thanks guys!!

Comment

Working...
                                X