No announcement yet.

Champ Clone using old Baldwin Trannies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Clone using old Baldwin Trannies?

Hi all, I am a new member and this is my first post, everyone on here seems pretty knowledgeable so I'm hoping I can pick a few brains about this idea: I am thinking of building a fender champ 5f1 clone using a set of transformers from a baldwin organ...I have been comparing the schematics and it seems do able, but it seems the only schematic for the champ I can find doesn't list voltages. I am attaching the two schematics. The baldwin amp used two 6l6GCs and the power transformer has 12.6 and 6.3V fil lines and 335VAC going to a 5u4, and putting 350V on the plates of the 6l6s, I see there is a 6v6gt in the champ and have found that the max plate voltage for that tube is 350V so I'd need to bring the original plate voltage down to around 320V maybe? does anyone know the specific plate and screen voltages for the 6v6 and 12ax7 in the champ? Also the baldwin OT is center tapped while the champs is not, would I be able to use just one side of the baldwin OT to get the same result as in the champ? I was thinking of just building the champ according to the schematic and putting 320VDC at the first power connection (right at the 16uf/450V cap) then letting it make its way to the screen of the 6l6 and the plates/screens of the 12ax7 through the resistors seen in the champ schematic. Any thoughts on that idea? I know the baldwin transformers are going to be overkill for the purpose but i'd like to do something small and simple and the champ seems like a cool project. I appreciate any and all input on this. i'm looking forward to being a member of this forum
    Attached Files

If anyone has another relatively simple amp project in mind that would better suit the baldwin trannies I am very open to suggestions about that, I'm not too opposed to going the PP route and I do have two sets of these transformers

Comment

A Champ is not a good choice. A Single Ended output transformer (like you would use in a Champ) is designed to have DC flowing through it, but a Push Pull transformer (like the Baldwin) is designed so that the DC current in the two tubes cancels out. Trying to use a PP transformer as a SE transformer usually gives really poor results.

Notice that the Baldwin schematic specifies 6L6{nothing}. This is an early low power version of the 6L6GC that we use today. The next version of the 6L6 was the 6L6G, just a glass version of the original. Early Fender Pro amps used the 6L6G. Almost the same output stage as the Baldwin.

http://www.el34world.com/charts/Sche...er/PRO_5C5.pdf
      http://www.el34world.com/charts/Sche...er/PRO_5D5.pdf

The preamp of the Pro is overkill, you could simplify it to be like a tweed Deluxe:

http://www.el34world.com/charts/Sche...DELUXE_5E3.pdf

I think it would be wise to stick with a pair of 6L6 tubes that the transformers were designed for and just about any preamp (even the Champ) will give you a great result.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Does anyone have the tap color code for this transformer? Came across one that I'm putting into a modified Pro circuit.

Comment

Working...
        X