Old 63 Bandmaster seems alittle ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old 63 Bandmaster seems alittle ill

My amp was sounding OK on Wed But,today I turn it on and it didn't sound right Harsh not the normal sweet tone..I turned the bright switch on and off and it was making a loud pop, not the normal pop.I changed out all the tubes and it helped a little but I still get Loud Pop on both the Normal and the Vibro chanel Is there a easy check I can do brfore going all through grid plate test..

Visual inspection of caps in doghouse, B+ dropping resistors and screen/grid resistors. How old are the caps?
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
      Visual inspection of caps in doghouse, B+ dropping resistors and screen/grid resistors. How old are the caps?
      Did a full recap 7 yrs ago It was fine when I played the other day Is it normal to have a loud Pop when I turn on the Bright switch,also there is a small amount scratchiness on the normal channel volume from 6 to 10 could that coupling cap be starting to go Would both the normal and Vibrato volumes be scratchy..I need to strart at my guitar check cables too..Trying to get some ideas before I open up the hood

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
        Did a full recap 7 yrs ago It was fine when I played the other day Is it normal to have a loud Pop when I turn on the Bright switch,also there is a small amount scratchiness on the normal channel volume from 6 to 10 could that coupling cap be starting to go Would both the normal and Vibrato volumes be scratchy..I need to strart at my guitar check cables too..Trying to get some ideas before I open up the hood
        Scratchiness can also be a dirty pot. Try working the pot back and forth . Use your multimeter on the normal vol channel to see if there is DC there then I might suspect cap.
        nosaj
        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          Scratchiness can also be a dirty pot. Try working the pot back and forth . Use your multimeter on the normal vol channel to see if there is DC there then I might suspect cap.
          nosaj
          I am not real good at tech stuff I play guitar I don't fix them lol But do I put the test leads across the 1 and 3 lugs or the 1-2 lugs with the volume off what am I looking for with volume off there should be No DC voltage on the pot I do have a VTVM but I have never really used it,If I undo the coupling cap to grid it should have zero volts?

Comment

Would you like to buy some punctuation?

Black lead to chassis, red lead to pot lugs.
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
              Would you like to buy some punctuation?

Black lead to chassis, red lead to pot lugs.
              Yes, Vanna I would like a .

nosaj
              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

And don't check for DC on the wiper with the pot at zero. Turn the pot all the way up and check at either un grounded lug.

You should be able to check for a leaky capacitor in circuit. If there's DC such that it's affecting circuit operation you should be able to see it with a meter. If the circuit is such that the downstream end of the coupling cap is also the grid of the following tube then you should check with that tube out of the circuit.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                  And don't check for DC on the wiper with the pot at zero. Turn the pot all the way up and check at either un grounded lug.

You should be able to check for a leaky capacitor in circuit. If there's DC such that it's affecting circuit operation you should be able to see it with a meter. If the circuit is such that the downstream end of the coupling cap is also the grid of the following tube then you should check with that tube out of the circuit.
                  Thanks Chuck I overreacedt to soon,I put 3 worn out RCA 12ax7 in I didn't look close. They still work in the Vibrato curcuit,Also most of my cables jacks are showing bare copper on the tips,and a few 6100 frets are flating out,I need to recrown(I play a lot) and I messed with the dark circuit on my old Telecaster,and the setscrews are worn and they slide down a touch the control plate,,The 63 BM seems ok no voltage on pot

Comment

Working...
                  X