No announcement yet.

Fender Mustang bass Rewind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no reason to make one north up and one south up if both bobbins dont sense the same string- thats only so both bobbins are in phase with each other but they dont need to be in order to hum cancel on a typical gibson style humbucker both bobbins have to be in phase but mustang bass, fender 12s and early Pbass were not made that way.

Comment

Then why did they change it, on later basses, and how would it hum cancel.
      I guess the reverse wiring is enough, and the magnets up and down don't matter?
      This was made in the era of other P-basses I've rewound, and they were all RWRP.
      I've got some pickups of my own, I will try some experimenting.
      If they could just make all bobbins a like on the P-bass, why did they go to all the trouble to do RWRP.
      There must have been some advantage to it?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I'm not sure mine's humbucking anyway, based kn the wonderfil buzz it picked up from all the dimmers and everything else at practice tonight... I'm thinking as a "student" model, they didn't pay TOO much attention...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Its been covered in depth before here, I don’t know what you would search for. Reverse winding or on coils wound the same direction connecting start to start or finish to finish is what cancels hum. Reversing the magnet polarity is only for keeping both coils in phase with each other which isn’t needed on a split coil pickup.
          I don’t know why Fender made the P bass alternating polarity, the vintage mustang bass and fender 12 both have coils with the same magnetic polarity and humcancel- they are out of phase with each other.
          Dimmers can make just about anything noisy!

The supro string through is another example of a humbucking split coil pickup with both coils sharing the same magnetic polarity.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
            Its been covered in depth before here, I don’t know what you would search for. Reverse winding or on coils wound the same direction connecting start to start or finish to finish is what cancels hum. Reversing the magnet polarity is only for keeping both coils in phase with each other which isn’t needed on a split coil pickup.
            I don’t know why Fender made the P bass alternating polarity, the vintage mustang bass and fender 12 both have coils with the same magnetic polarity and humcancel- they are out of phase with each other.
            Dimmers can make just about anything noisy!

The supro string through is another example of a humbucking split coil pickup with both coils sharing the same magnetic polarity.
            Thank You Jason:
            That all makes sense to me now.
            I have never heard it really discussed in my 4 years on the forum.
            There for a while all secrets, were kept secret.
            I have slowly and gradually uncovered some of them.
            So in a guitar humbucker because both coils sense the same strings, then they would be out of phase if not RP?
            What puzzled me was that if fender did that, I wonder why they changed it.
            As far as mass producing things it would be quicker and cheaper to just have one magnet charging station, and all half coils would either be south or north up.
            In my case it was both South up.
            So mine is wired like a PAF except I tied the Start leads together like it already was.
            I put output on the bass coil and ground on the treble coil.
            It may be my imagination but the bass coil seemed louder with output, opposed to being grounded.
            I tried it a couple of times and always liked it better with the output at the bass coil, not at the treble coil.
            Has been a fun learning experience.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

So in a guitar humbucker because both coils sense the same strings, then they would be out of phase if not RP?

right- exactly.its been discussed but its usually something you have to read into the conversation like I recall one where we were talking about inline humbuckers- a single coil split in the middle so it has two coils- one for each three strings and how having both sides the same magnetic polarity if you bend a string in between the coils you get an out of phase sound, if one side is north and one side south and you bend you can get a drop in volume because if the magnets are close enough they will cancel each other out- did you ever read that one? there is lots of stuff on here but its not always spelled out. Sometimes its worth rereading stuff much later because you might notice things you werent tuned into before

Comment

Yes I got it now.
                On reading into conversations, that is the way most of the threads and posts are in the main forum.
                Lots of Dancing around things, you're supposed to know that, You're supposed to know this, and assume that.
                Then when it comes to real hard data or info, good Luck!
                So that is the whole purpose of this branch of the forum, the B/H.
                If someone asks a question, no matter how elementary, I always try to find and answer or see if someone else can answer it.
                The one thing you said, that cleared it all up is RW is What Cancels Hum, and RP is what sets the Phase.
                I hope everyone that visits the B/H remembers that.
                Anyway the guy came and picked up the bass this afternoon, and everybody is happy.
                Onward to the next project, and next problem that crops up.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Thanks, that just helped me fix a problem with my Lead II that I've been trying to put a phase switch in, without having to say, "how should I wire this?" Understanding the basic principle of what I need ghe switch to do, who cares what pickups are in it? It's the "understanding trumps knowledge" thing. And if I ever need a Mustang Bass pup, I know where to send it!

Justin.
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                  X