Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winding a humbucker with 40awg wire. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winding a humbucker with 40awg wire. Any thoughts?

I'm have a customer that wants a humbucker for people who hate humbuckers. I have some 40 awg on its way. Also I plan to use A/8 for the bridge and A/5 in the neck. Any suggestions?

I've never tried awg40 on humbuckers, but if you want something different, you may go with alnico rods instead of steel pole screws.

Comment

I tried 41 once, on a neck strat SC.
      It was fine, but pretty bright.
      I also tried 41 on some bass pickups, it worked fine for that.
      40 is even bigger, and would be hard to get many turns on a regular HB.
      Please let us know how it turns out?

I've wanted to try in the smaller other direction, and try some 42-1/2.
      Remington Industries now sells it.
      Had several circumstances where I thought the in between 42 & 43 would be ideal?
      Also, since wire seems to come on the small size these days?
      Todays 42-1/2 would probably be nearer to the 43, they used in days of old?

T
      **https://www.remingtonindustries.com/...5-spool-sizes/
      Last edited by big_teee; 03-02-2018, 05:36 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Not sure if you will get 3000 turns of awg 40 on a bucker bobbin but may be interesting .
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

It will be heavy whatever you come up with, not that anyone cares about weight. There are some taller bobbins out there that might give you a few more turns. I would try this out with ceramic mags just to see what a $.40 magnet can sound like with 2500 turns.

Comment

These are the my own design they are taller than standard hb bobbins. I hope to get more 40
            awg wire on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2764.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	848837

Comment

Originally posted by Tikiman View Post
              I'm have a customer that wants a humbucker for people who hate humbuckers. I have some 40 awg on its way. Also I plan to use A/8 for the bridge and A/5 in the neck. Any suggestions?
              I had made a few Strat pickups, all with the same turns count, but with different wire gauges, and found the that one with the thickest wire I used, had a higher intrinsic capacitance than the ones with the more common gauges. It stands to reason, larger wire = more overall surface area, while having similar to the same inductance. The only real benefit that I can think of for thicker wire is a lower series resistance, which renders a higher Q factor, though a higher Q factor is something guitarists usually don't want.

If the customer hates humbuckers, what do they like instead? Fender pickups? P-90s?

Comment

He basically wants an el Rayo clone.
                I'm pretty sure the taller coils and
                12 screw pole pieces will suffice ��

Comment

He basically wants an el Rayo clone.
                  I'm pretty sure the taller coils and
                  12 screw pole pieces will suffice ��
                  Given the fact that there's not much of an apparent benefit to using larger gauges of wire, the low DC resistance of the El Rayo probably means that it's "under wound" similar to a Filter'tron. Filter'trons have a rather high output despite the low DC resistance, with 42 AWG. Their power (and of side-by-side humbucker in general) comes mostly from the fact that two coils are placed near the strings, and not necessarily the turn count. Filter'trons have less DC resistance, less inductance, and less flux at the string than a Stratocaster pickup, and yet you get a much louder output with them. I suspect the El Rayo is largely similar to a Filter'tron, but that's just a guess. They could be achieving low DC resistance through larger wire as you suspect, or by wiring the coils in parallel internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Antigua View Post
                    Given the fact
                    Antigua, thread lightly here. Nothing what you've just said is ***FACT***. Just your ***OPINION***. And a completely wild guess in this specific case, I may add, as you, by own admission, never even encountered a "El Rayo" p'up, so ***YOU DON'T KNOW*** what the actual specs are, nor how it's constructed and/or assembled and/or what materials are used. All you know is what the DC reading is.

So, what are you even talking AT ALL here, uh?

Not a personal attack. Just because you keep preaching that ***you're all about the facts***,uh? OK, I just gave you ***THE FACTS***. Just the way you like it! And that'ìs a fact. Pun intended.
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by Antigua View Post
                      Given the fact that there's not much of an apparent benefit to using larger gauges of wire, the low DC resistance of the El Rayo probably means that it's "under wound" similar to a Filter'tron. Filter'trons have a rather high output despite the low DC resistance, with 42 AWG. Their power (and of side-by-side humbucker in general) comes mostly from the fact that two coils are placed near the strings, and not necessarily the turn count. Filter'trons have less DC resistance, less inductance, and less flux at the string than a Stratocaster pickup, and yet you get a much louder output with them. I suspect the El Rayo is largely similar to a Filter'tron, but that's just a guess. They could be achieving low DC resistance through larger wire as you suspect, or by wiring the coils in parallel internally.
                      Huh??
                      Jack Briggs

sigpic
                      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I am fully aware that these will be low dc. That is the point but my design has more steel in it with two keeper bars for the screws. My biggest concern is he wants four conductor wire. The coil tap will get thin in the skin I bet.

Comment

I have a nice big roll of #41, and wound a SC with it like yourself. Sounded fine to me. I wouldn't personally go to #40 unless I was intending to produce a low-impedance pickup and had no intentions of making something in a conventional footprint or form factor.

Comment

I took a guess with the 40 I’m hoping the taller humbucker coils I made will allow me to apply more wire.

Comment

I took a guess with the 40 I’m hoping the taller humbucker coils I made will allow me to apply more wire.
                              How have you determined how much wire you require to begin with? I suspect the El Rayo has standard sized bobbins, based on the overall dimensions of the pickup.

I am fully aware that these will be low dc. That is the point but my design has more steel in it with two keeper bars for the screws. My biggest concern is he wants four conductor wire. The coil tap will get thin in the skin I bet.
                              What's the intended outcome of having more steel in the pickup?

Comment

Working...
                              X