cathode bypass and grid stoppers/ when where and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cathode bypass and grid stoppers/ when where and why

Looks like there's a consensus here that the first stage cathode should be fully bypassed to minimize heater noise. Are we talking 22uf on a 100k plate 1k5 cathode? Are we saying smaller cap values are still fully bypassing as long as no resistor is in series with the cap?

Also the grid stop question of how much and why, if at all.

As a jumping off point I'll mention from my own experiments with 3 gain stage to concertina and 4 gain stage with reverb to LTP I liked 22k single input stopper, 47k second stage and 22k the rest of the way. With the cathode bypasses varying from adjustable up to 220uf to none.

I'd like to know what the prevailing wisdom around here is, and why.

Be sure to understand that these are two separate engineering issues, so they can be discussed apart from each other without confusion.

I'm in the 'bypass the cr@p out of the first stage' camp. 22u takes the 1.5k cathode resistor's knee frequency to just about 5Hz. I have used some 10u/50v caps because they were available, the knee freq is about 10Hz. Probably still OK.

What about forward-biased LEDs? Anyone have a sense of how this topology resists heater hum?
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Fully bypass the first gain stage cathode. If you need to mitigate LF from the first stage you should use the coupling cap. If you need to mitigate LF in the overall preamp you can usually partially bypass subsequent gain stages without notable consequence. The caveat here is that there is a big difference between vintage preamps, amps that use overall overdrive to achieve distortion and modern preamp based distortion generators that typically run the power amp clean. For the later it's best to keep the first two stages fully bypassed or just use DC for the filaments and partial bypass as you like on any stage.
      Last edited by Chuck H; 12-05-2017, 02:07 AM.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A Cold Clipper stage will act badly if the cathode is bypassed when that stage is hit by a big signal. The bias will want to move when a signal is present and may be slow to recover between notes. An unbypassed cathode will recover instantly.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

What would you consider a cold clipper stage to be, maybe anything higher than 3.3K cathode resistor, or maybe 10K?

I have been messing around a little with what seems like ampeg style component values where it's something a little weird, something like 6.8K cathode resistor and 150-470K plate resistor.

What is the advantage or difference with this compared to just doing 1K cathode 100K plate resistor which is way more typical?

Comment

As the anode R goes up, the cathode R can go up too. Looking at a load line chart will help identify what's too far from center. Marshall's 100k anode, 10k cathode, no bypass cap (2203/2204) is a good example of cold clipping in action.
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I think there are two different types of heater noise (maybe more). One type occurs outside the tube, and is caused by unwanted coupling between the heater circuit and the signal circuit. This will be affected by cathode bypass capacitors in the usual way (low-cut shelving filter).
              The other type occurs inside the tube and is caused by unwanted leakage current from the heater to the cathode. This will be affected by a cathode bypass cap in a different way. A big capacitor in this case will short-circuit the ac hum voltage to ground and prevent it being amplified by the tube. I think in this case there is no shelving effect, and it’s actually a high-cut filter (with regard to the heater noise getting into the signal), albeit with big attenuation at 50/60Hz. A very high valued bypass cap, such as 200uF, can then have a beneficial effect on this type of hum/buzz.

Comment

Originally posted by ric View Post
                Also the grid stop question of how much and why, if at all.
                The grid stopper on V1 is usually the main source of background hiss in an amp. Reducing the resistor value reduces the hiss level, but the lower you go the more chance there is of picking up radio stations. (Could be either humorous or embarrassing in a gig situation!)

A grid stopper of around 10k can be a good compromise. An additional small cap from grid to ground can also be introduced to allow a small grid-stopper while retaining the required high cut filtering to block radio interference.

Comment

Malcolm, what range of sizes do you use for input cap-to-ground?

Comment

I would say about 300pF. The theory and technical details are covered in Merlin's book (which is highly recommended):
                    'Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass', Second Edition, Merlin Blencowe

Comment

It goes horribly against the grain with me to add capacitance to the input; fine with the guitar at full volume, but it would surely muddy the tone at mid settings, ie when the equivalent series impedance of the source is >100k? Assuming a 'plug straight in' no pedals scenario.
                      Also not an issue for the players who just use the instrument volume as a mute, sometimes even replace it with a switch.

But for the players such as myself, who spend time and money sourcing low capacitance guitar cables in order to minimise the 'muddy at mid volume' thing, it seems counter-productive to then add capacitance at the amp input.
                      Last edited by pdf64; 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM.
                      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Irving View Post
                        I would say about 300pF. The theory and technical details are covered in Merlin's book (which is highly recommended):
                        'Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass', Second Edition, Merlin Blencowe
                        A filter such as you describe is most effective if the interfering signal is coming in on the center conductor since the R and C act together in this case. But it is the shield of the cable that picks up most of the interference. The C still has some effect, of course. Guitar amps usually have jacks that are isolated from the chassis. This is what you need to prevent ground loops resulting in power line buzzing, but it leaves you open to rf on the shield. One solution is to put a .01 microf cap from jack ground to the chassis, making the jack and chases at nearly the same rf potential, while leaving them isolated at the frequencies of significant power line harmonics. Post #6 here (https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ignals.281178/) describes this. Ferrite might be useful if used properly, like those lumps you see on some USB cables.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                          It goes horribly against the grain with me to add capacitance to the input; fine with the guitar at full volume, but it would surely muddy the tone at mid settings, ie when the equivalent series impedance of the source is >100k? Assuming a 'plug straight in' no pedals scenario.
                          Also not an issue for the players who just use the instrument volume as a mute, sometimes even replace it with a switch.
                          I'm picking up radio on one amp and plan to include this feature on future builds. I would, however, make it switchable.

A friend and trusted source of info who retired from the local university after a career of building and working on tube amps there suggested no more than .001. 300p seems quite reasonable and conservative.

Guitar amps are a special case, and it's cool to be able to get all these different perspectives from people all over the planet that build and play them. For my specific guitar related questions I used to go to the local tech, some guy who called himself "Enzo". He really seemed to know quite a bit and was willing to answer questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                            A filter such as you describe is most effective if the interfering signal is coming in on the center conductor since the R and C act together in this case. But it is the shield of the cable that picks up most of the interference. The C still has some effect, of course. Guitar amps usually have jacks that are isolated from the chassis. This is what you need to prevent ground loops resulting in power line buzzing, but it leaves you open to rf on the shield. One solution is to put a .01 microf cap from jack ground to the chassis, making the jack and chases at nearly the same rf potential, while leaving them isolated at the frequencies of significant power line harmonics. Post #6 here (https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ignals.281178/) describes this. Ferrite might be useful if used properly, like those lumps you see on some USB cables.
                            Mike, this brings up something else I wonder about. An isolated input jack leaves the guitar ground floating from earth ground. We want the amp chassis unearthed for safety, wouldn't we want the guitar grounded for the same reason?

Comment

For my specific guitar related questions I used to go to the local tech, some guy who called himself "Enzo". He really seemed to know quite a bit and was willing to answer questions

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Now retired, I am trying to pass along the accumulated lore of the trade to local fellow RJ.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X