WRHB Bobbins Machine Wound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRHB Bobbins Machine Wound?

Can anyone say whether or not WRHB bobbins were machine wound or not?

Machine. Likely a COWECO or Meteor.
    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
      Machine. Likely a COWECO or Meteor.
      Thanks Jim. Any idea of the tpl, ball park or otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
        Thanks Jim. Any idea of the tpl, ball park or otherwise?
        TPL specifics are generally well keep secrets of most winders. However, if you poke around the web you'll find some nuggets of info. Or find a broken coil and count turns until you see a pattern of TPL emerge.

I never really liked their sound when they first came out, but, as I've aged, I've grown to like it. Experiment around with TPL and turn counts until you find a formula that sounds good to you. TPL is important, but in these pickups the actual CUNIFE magnet trumps TPL IMO.

Jim

Comment

TPL specifics are generally well keep secrets of most winders. However, if you poke around the web you'll find some nuggets of info. Or find a broken coil and count turns until you see a pattern of TPL emerge.

I never really liked their sound when they first came out, but, as I've aged, I've grown to like it. Experiment around with TPL and turn counts until you find a formula that sounds good to you. TPL is important, but in these pickups the actual CUNIFE magnet trumps TPL IMO.
          Yes, yes, the ever secret TPL. I should know by now not to even ask.

I thought I knew but have 2 original pickups I am repairing right now from flood damaged guitars and each have different TPL on 2 coils. I'd never seen this before. But since this is all secret stuff I won't get into what those counts were.

Comment

Not Handwound & about 100tpl
            Of coarse not nothing was handwound after 65
            why would a design by Seth be any different as he didn't handwound anything with Gibson .
            my 100 tpl was taken from one of the Wide range MIJ reissue pickups that I've rewound .I'm know the originals were different .wink
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Machine wound and every one I've ever seen has had the exact same coil. No neck/bridge and no screw/slug coils, just "WRHB coils." Are you sure of your turn counts and that the coils are original? We are talking about the ones from the 1970's, right? Like these...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20160129131607-eed1e1d4-xl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	846334

Comment

What's the saying .........sAME BULl shit different pile ...? 2
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                  Machine wound and every one I've ever seen has had the exact same coil. No neck/bridge and no screw/slug coils, just "WRHB coils." Are you sure of your turn counts and that the coils are original? We are talking about the ones from the 1970's, right? Like these...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]44752[/ATTACH]
                  Exactly. Have never seen any that didn't have identical coils. So it's possible both pickups already had rewound coils or got mixed and matched at some point. I thought I was very sure my turn counts were correct but the coils that don't match that look to be machine wound, too.

So I am just going to assume those coils were machine rewound at some unknown time.

Comment

Yes, yes, the ever secret TPL...
                    That just shows how important TPL is to the sound. But, as we all know, is only one of the MANY variables that really count. With the original WRHB the CUNIFE magnets, and their position in the coil, IMO play a slightly greater role than TPL --- but all are important.

As far as mismatched coils, they can create some great sounds...in the right combination.

Jim

Comment

That just shows how important TPL is to the sound. But, as we all know, is only one of the MANY variables that really count. With the original WRHB the CUNIFE magnets, and their position in the coil, IMO play a slightly greater role than TPL --- but all are important.

As far as mismatched coils, they can create some great sounds...in the right combination.
                      Well no doubt. But I have and still do find it odd that on a forum of this sort it's not only heavily guarded information but also a source of misinformation at the hands of certain winders. It'd be like a forum dedicated to crate engines where no one ever talks about points gap as if the timing were all that mattered in a small block build.

And if it were the tpl of a forum member's in production pickup it'd make sense (and does). But when it's more of a historical question...

Comment

Well no doubt. But I have and still do find it odd that on a forum of this sort it's not only heavily guarded information but also a source of misinformation at the hands of certain winders. It'd be like a forum dedicated to crate engines where no one ever talks about points gap as if the timing were all that mattered in a small block build.

And if it were the tpl of a forum member's in production pickup it'd make sense (and does). But when it's more of a historical question...
                        You're learning.
                        When guys first get on here, they gather and share.
                        As time goes on, and the guys that are in biz, still gather, but most quit sharing.
                        I try to share most everything (I'm retired and don't give a damn), but I don't know much about wide range pickups, that I don't make.
                        I suggest to make and test pickups that sound good, make your own TPL, and don't worry about the historic data so much.
                        Around here, guys used to take out the WRHB's, because they didn't like the sound of them.
                        On the magnets, about the only adjustable pole piece magnet is the expensive alnico.
                        GL YMMV,
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 09-04-2017, 06:14 PM.
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          You're learning.
                          I suggest to make and test pickups that sound good, make your own TPL, and don't worry about the historic data so much.
                          Around here, guys used to take out the WRHB's, because they didn't like the sound of them.
                          On the magnets, about the only adjustable pole piece magnet is the expensive alnico.
                          GL YMMV,
                          T
                          This is about the repair of an original wrhb.

Comment

...And if it were the tpl of a forum member's in production pickup it'd make sense (and does). But when it's more of a historical question...
                            And you hit the nail on the head. Yes, TPL is only a part of the equation...though a big part. And asking a "Historical Question" is almost like asking someone into giving away part the farm. Yes, to many it is common knowledge, and to most of those who have this common knowledge it came from years of study and experience. Why should any of us just give it away, even if it is just a hobby to most? I'm free with a lot of things and will gladly help others who ask. But certain things are just too precious to broadcast.

I've shared many things on the forum including some TPL counts. If I mention a specific TPL I am almost certain to receive a PM on the topic. Some saying I shared too much, others sharing even more info.

I guess, at the end of the day, we all need to do our own due-diligence to see what really matters in our builds or restorations. But you should always ask and see what you get back...as you did. I like the fact you you did do your own study and got conflicting counts...This happens too me even today. Your experience may be, in fact, correct as I see variances off the standard at times and can only attribute this to possibly being wound on different machines at different times...just look at Gibson over the years. Or it could be a rewind...keep ALL your notes and decide for yourself. Most of my favorite formulas differ widely from the "Historical Units"
                            Last edited by Jim Darr; 09-05-2017, 02:46 AM.

Jim

Comment

And asking a "Historical Question" is almost like asking someone into giving away part the farm.
                              You know, I just wrote a whole treatise about why I disagree with this statement and then I erased it. It's an endlessly moot point.

Everything else you said I mostly agree with.

Comment

Working...
                              X