X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame on me for not reading thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by obiwanjacobi View Post
      Right, So my programmer arrived and I read all memory chips (IC15-19) and saved their contents on my PC and programmed IC15-18 with the binary images i got from @S2udio - IC19 was exactly the same the others weren't.

Reinserted the chips and when I boot, instead of the logo I now get the Invalid Program error message.

Which raises the question:

Did I read in the bin files correctly?

I 'think' my programmer software simply read in the file as separate bytes, but it also has several other options (all having to do with little/big indian of words and longs etc)...?

I will try to reflash the firmware but hold no high hopes for that procedure...

Any suggestions are welcome.

BTW: I finished recapping the PSU and it does not make noise anymore and seems to work fine.
      My Quote....

Originally posted by S2udio View Post

Taken from a working DDX ,OS 1.12, May have 2 adats in it , so may report IO errors on first boot ,or may not ?.
      I hope you saved the original config before writing over the data, just for good practice !
      You need to also flash IC19 ....sounds like its got older firmware.
      And then give it a factory reset.
      With all ribbons disconnected from the CPU board (display connected) the display should then Display DDX3216 , followed by bars and then blank.
      If you get that far ,then you are winning.

Originally posted by paleeman View Post
      Even if you have a working unit, you cannot read the content, because they're SW protected. And as usual, Behringer was not willing to provide them when asked to.
      They are not protected......they have to be read/write
      The only chips that are protected ,are the 16f PIC 's ,one on the CPU board (SMPTE) and another on the optional ADAT cards

If it still refuses to boot.....the CPU is more than likely Faulty ,replace it.
      Last edited by S2udio; 05-04-2015, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I did save the original images. IC19 was exactly the same as the image you provided so I didn't bother.

My PC was doing a large backup operation so I have not tried anything else yet, but I will try your suggestions later.

I do not consider the Invalid Program message an IO error... Should I?
        With the original flash content, the CPU came as far as displaying the splash screen on the LCD. I would not think that the CPU is at fault - unless something very specific has broken in there...

Anyway, will try again tonight and will report back.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by obiwanjacobi View Post
          I did save the original images. IC19 was exactly the same as the image you provided so I didn't bother.
          just to verify , That means you have ver 1.12 installed, Yes ?, I would Flash it anyway. could be a corrupt bit/flag

As stated in my previous post, with your original firmware this sequence should happen

"With all ribbons disconnected from the CPU board (display connected) the display should then Display DDX3216 , followed by bars and then blank."

Have you now got all the ribbons reconnected ? ie DSP-IO/ADAT-and Control Board (fader motors etc), the small one that goes to the MIDI and SPDIF backboard is not nessesary at this point.

A hard reset is nessesary to clear the IO flags,ie "invalid program error"

From the manual

To reset the DDX3216 to its default status and at the same time
          do an automatic fader calibration, keep the following switches
          pressed for about 10 seconds, while switching the unit on:
          CH 1-16 and SETUP
          Last edited by S2udio; 05-04-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I do not know what version firmware is installed (just that my programmer verified that your file and my IC19 were the same)...

With hard reset you mean holding down the two buttons (can't remember their names) when powering on...?

Comment

Has anyone got the DDX3216 File Exchange program working on Windows 8?

When I start it it does not show anything except an entry in the task bar - no window is showing.
              I have unblocked the zip it came in and played around with the compatibility settings (Windows XP SP3) and start it as admin but still no show.

Did anybody fix this?

EDIT: I have a 4k screen and had to select "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

Comment

So with all ribbon cable disconnected from the CPU board (just the LCD and power connected) I still get the Invalid Program error message.
                I also tried the reset (when the ribbon cables were connected) but that does not seem to do anything. Could be that the CPU does not see the buttons...?

Comment

As i have said before .....you are wasting your time ,and mine ,most politely
                  The ddx file exchange will "Not work" unless you have a fully working Mixer.
                  Have you flashed the OS EPROM IC19 with the file i gave you. ?

"With all ribbons disconnected from the CPU board (display connected) the display should then Display DDX3216 , followed by bars and then blank."

This is the correct sequence for a functional DDX.
                  Until you get this far ,if you do ? the desk will not function.
                  Advice from someone who has spent many hours repairing them.
                  Good luck
                  Last edited by S2udio; 05-05-2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Ddx3216 doesn't respond to automation though time code is present.

Greetings,
                    This is my first time attempting to post a message, but so far have only found my way to replying to a prior message,etc.
                    The current issues being presented are as follows:

Pre amp input indicators showing intermittently. This is reflected in the level leds on each channel, even though the channels are set to the adat modules and not analog input.

Mixer not responding to automation, It shows locked and the incoming time code is visible on the screen, but no fader moves are recorded and the rec ready leds don't change when moving the fader during a pass,etc.

ANY help would be appreciated.I have several DDX3216's here now.
                    Thanks

Comment

After leaving the repair in the corner for more than a year I stumbled upon another version of the binary dump files here. I tried them and they worked!

I have (re)flashed U15-U18 successfully. When I wanted to reflash U19 my programmer issued a current limit warning and wouldn't flash it. I just left U19 as it was and it worked. Not sure what went on there.

I am still testing the mixer (I am not familiar with it, so I'm actually reading the manual ) but it looks like it is fully working now.

Comment

So I seem to have a problem with the PSU - the +/-8 volts are not working. This causes the fader-motors to not-work and the fader calibration to fail.

That lead me back to the primary side of that part of the PSU (first page of the PSU schematic - which seems to be missing a piece). I do not see any voltage on the primary side of the transformer. I checked the second 'channel' and it had almost 400 volts there. So clearly 'it aint pumping'.

Lifted one leg of the zener ZD1 and that measures 500mV (and 780 ohm) reverse and 280mV (and 530 ohm) forward voltage using the diode test mode on my DMM. I am not entirley sure how to test zener diodes with a DMM but I think this one is shot.

Question then arises what specs to look for in a replacement? A 20V zener is easy to find, but how much current (mW?) will it need to be able to cope with? (and then times two - just to be sure) Any ideas?

Comment

The zener should measure like a regular diode on your meter. If it's not open (or high reading) when reverse biased, it's bad.
                          Don't double up on current, it may not regulate properly. Try to figure out the mW rating by physical size or specs. Can you read a number off the diode?
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

It's a small glass one...

I think I'll order a couple (they're not expensive) and try them out...?
                            I just don't want the PSU to overload or something because the primary is driven wrong... I am not a switching-PSU expert, I only sort of know how it works...

Comment

Right, the print on the glass zener was turned towards the PCB, so once I removed it completely I saw it was a 1N4747A - 20V 1W one.
                              So my guess for a 20V 1.3W zener was pretty good and it made the PSU work again, but I think I'll replace it with the original anyways.

Wow, I am actually amazed I figured this one out first try.

I hope this concludes the repair on this one - back to testing the unit.

Comment

Hello! thank you for the bin file! tell me please password for zip file. thak you.

Comment

Working...
                                X