• Show
Clear All

The volume read 1.125MOhm
    The tone read 337.4KOhm

So likely 1m and 300k.

Comment

volume tone values

Hi,
      Thanks for the information. It is very kind of you. I will post the circuit when I've drawn it out after I know it all works.
      Cheers
      Peter

Comment

I've got a couple of the vol/tone housings laying about- both measure about 280K for the tone pots and 1M(and change) for the volume. A slightly worn 250K could read from 280 up to 350K.

There are two different Manufacturers of pots represented. The first housing has: Tone R - 20 1376025, Vol R - 15 1376047. Safe to say this housing is from 1960 w/CTS pots. The cap is a yellow cylindrical film type. Writing is rubbed off

The second housing has: Tone R - 20 235632, Vol R - 15 1377225. This one has had the vol changed at some point. The 235 prefix pot (Mallory?) is physically smaller at 1/2 " diameter. The cap is a .1 100V IFC? green chiclet.

I'm guessing that R-15 and R-20 were house numbers that Rowe had stamped onto the pots no matter who the manufacturer was. The 235 pot is likely from '66.

Hey, hope someone who cares finds this info useful.

....and I'm guessing that the batter recipe from Art's is HAND mixed?
        couldn't resist - I KEEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
          A slightly worn 250K could read from 280 up to 350K.
          Doesn't even matter if it's worn. It's within the rated tolerance. They never read what their value is.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

DeArmond contol box

Peter did you ever get the circuit drawn and working?

Comment

Hi Corianman,
              no, my computer lost it's mind... I lost all my passwords and programms etc so it has taken months to get back on line. I am on the case now and will post something soon.

Cheers
              Peter

Comment

Any better gut shots of the module?

Comment

Hi Corianman, Not Yet. My pots need changing and I'm having trouble finding the time to source the right types. But any day soon.
                  Cheers
                  Peter

Comment

Hi TheEHMan,
                    I have yet to put the whole thing back together on account of the fact that the pots need changing and I don't seem to have the time.

Regards
                    Peter

Comment

Only a year late...

Here's my version of the schematic; use at your own risk.

It's based on my reading of the discussion in this thread, plus photos from this one:
                      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15107/

I'm building a slightly modified version of the circuit, with the components mounted directly on a plastic archtop guitar pickguard- I guess you could call it a control box without the box.

Also want to mention, you-all might be interested in this site I ran across- lot's of info on DeArmond pickups:
                      http://www.musicpickups.com/Home.html

Here's a fer instance:
                      Originally posted by Directions for the DeArmond Rhythm-Chief (F hole) Guitar Microphone
                      The rhythm switch acts as a filter, eliminating low frequency reproduction and permits the playing of rhythm without the usual masking effect. In order that the rhythm switch may operate most effectively, the tone control must be in the treble position.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by rjb; 07-06-2011, 03:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to include some info.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

how bout RDC, L, Fres, and Q before you take anything apart? B at pole pieces is also cool.
                        making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

I posted all of that information in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                            Here's my version of the schematic; use at your own risk.

It's based on my reading of the discussion in this thread, plus photos from this one:
                            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15107/

I'm building a slightly modified version of the circuit, with the components mounted directly on a plastic archtop guitar pickguard- I guess you could call it a control box without the box.

Also want to mention, you-all might be interested in this site I ran across- lot's of info on DeArmond pickups:
                            http://www.musicpickups.com/Home.html

Here's a fer instance:
                            I'm very interested in this, as I'm thinking about putting one of the new DeArmond 1100 reproductions on an archtop. Unfortunately Guild sells reproduction pickups but not the controller box, and try as I might I can't find a schematic -- when it comes to the electronics side of things there's a big gaping hole out there.

Sadly, your schematic seems to have been lost. Can you re-post it?
                            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
                              Sadly, your schematic seems to have been lost. Can you re-post it?
                              I'm not sure if I've still got a copy, but don't think it would be of much value anyway.

I abandoned the circuit for one closer to G&L's S-500, which worked better for my guitar and pickup.
                              http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...patrician-.jpg
                              The pickup connects where the "output" of SW2 is shown in the wiring diagram.
                              C3 is optional - it just "takes a little off the top" of a trebly pickup.
                              For a DeArmond style "rhythm switch", replace VR1 with a latching pushbutton.
                              According to this discussion, it appears I used 1.5nF instead of 2.2nF for C1, and added an unswitched 4.7nF in series to prevent low note "farty distortion" and feedback.
                              http://music-electronics-forum.com/t31838/#post292985

If you want a "historically accurate" RC control box, I think Dave Schwab's sketch is pretty accurate.
                              (Not shown, the pickup would connect to the wiper of the volume control.)
                              http://music-electronics-forum.com/t31838/#post293011
                              You may note that (with different component values) the Rhythm Chief circuit is the S-500 circuit "flipped around"; if you hooked up the pickup to the output of the S-500 circuit, and took the output at the pickup selector switch, you would have a Rhythm Chief circuit.

EDIT: IGNORE THIS PARAGRAPH
                              I'm not 100% sure about this- but my interpretation of these photos was that to build a "really, really accurate" R.C. control box reproduction, you would not only "flip the S-500 circuit around" but also swap positions of tone control components VR3 and C4. (The output would then be tapped at the junction of bass block cap C1 and treble rolloff cap C4.)
                              http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15107/#post120793

Well, that's the schematic in words, more or less. But as I said, you probably don't want to do it that way anyways.

-rb
                              Last edited by rjb; 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM.
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I'm looking for the original circuit. If you have a proper schematic I would appreciate seeing it. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. The whole idea behind schematics to to de-mystify paragraphs of writing and remove any ambiguity about what is being said.

I haven't seen David's schematic. so far the only thing I've found on the jazz guitar sites is this layout diagram that looks like it was drawn by an end user. It certainly doesn't look like it was drawn by anyone with an electronics background. I'm not sure if that thing at the top is supposed to be a switch or the signal input. It's probably an end user's idea of what a switch looks like, and if that's the case then there's no signal input on the diagram. The sketches of the 2-tap pots aren't particularly clear either. That sketch should have been drawn with a crayon.

Last edited by bob p; 11-18-2017, 11:11 PM.
                                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                                X